Busting a couple rib myths.

It may work for you. Every time I leave it on, it is still there and it has to be dealt with later. It's not busted.
81.33% pull it in this survey.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=183361
Just because you're doing something or not doing something that is causing yours not to melt off doesn't make this not busted. Find out why this works for other people and then you might be able to figure out what it is you are doing or not doing...... Cooking temps might only be part of the equation.

Pull it to your hearts content....this thread isnt about a poll so why bring that up :noidea:

Just because you're doing something or not doing something that is causing yours not to melt off doesn't make this not busted. Find out why this works for other people and then you might be able to figure out what it is you are doing or not doing...... Cooking temps might only be part of the equation.
"I wanted to to try to bust a couple of rib myths. One is that the membrane doesn't melt away."
It's your wording. 81.33% remove it. Many have stated that it doesn't disappear for them.

"I wanted to to try to bust a couple of rib myths. One is that the membrane doesn't melt away."
It's your wording. 81.33% remove it. Many have stated that it doesn't disappear for them.

Lol ....you're funny:laugh: Ok you are right it must not be busted....i just get lucky :becky:

I don't care if it melts away. I quit peeling the membrane because I think my ribs are juicier with the membrane on.

Really, when digging into a bunch of ribs, who even pays attention to it? A MINOR annoyance at best.

Thanks for sharing the mythbuster info........

I always remove the membrane out of habit, I'll have to try it left on sometime, I guess old habits are hard to break. But I have a friend who's team competes in only rib competitions like the Jack Daniels Invitational, Best of the West, Rib-Fest, and has won over 600 awards leaving the membrane on.

They do not cook hot and fast, but the ribs have no trace of the membrane.

Gonna put two slabs of backs on my new UDS this afternoon. Think I'll peel one and leave one and see which one comes out best.

I've used my own rub and method for years now, anyone got a favorite rub or technique you wanna share, especially for a UDS (since this will be my first cook on it).

Thanks in advance!

The ring is not as pronounced on the membrane side on several of the ribs. Be that as it may, I leave the membrane on if I'm cooking them flat and I remove it if I'm rib racking.

I feel they are moist when left on, however I have had membrane that was thick like a piece of paper when I bit into them, but some of my highest ribs scores were membrane on then peeld before sauce

It takes me ten seconds to remove the membrane and my ribs are ALWAYS juicy. It's all in what you like. No myth really. Just how you cook it.

Nice looking ribs by the way.

It takes me ten seconds to remove the membrane and my ribs are ALWAYS juicy. It's all in what you like. No myth really. Just how you cook it.

Nice looking ribs by the way.
Thanks and I agree that it's all in what you like...for sure. I just wanted to show what i think is the membrane melting off and that it does happen.

Gonna put two slabs of backs on my new UDS this afternoon. Think I'll peel one and leave one and see which one comes out best.

I've used my own rub and method for years now, anyone got a favorite rub or technique you wanna share, especially for a UDS (since this will be my first cook on it)

Thanks in advance!
Just i like to rub them down with oil... will probably try peanut oil like Dan does. There were a couple of good points n this thread. One is rubs dissolve into the oil good and oil just makes them taste better.... gotta agree with that.

Thanks for sharing the mythbuster info........

I always remove the membrane out of habit, I'll have to try it left on sometime, I guess old habits are hard to break. But I have a friend who's team competes in only rib competitions like the Jack Daniels Invitational, Best of the West, Rib-Fest, and has won over 600 awards leaving the membrane on.

They do not cook hot and fast, but the ribs have no trace of the membrane.
That's an IMPRESSIVE amount of awards in ribs!

Disappeared or not I never remove it either and it doesn't affect the way they eat. Maybe you guys are referring to competition which from stories I have been told is kinda ridiculous anyways. I cook to eat not show.

Just fired up my new UDS after reading this, so I decided to try one slab each way. One with the membrane and one with it removed. There was no difference IMO in the two. They were cooked side by side and everything else was the same. I have always removed it in the past, but this may change my mind.

Just fired up my new UDS after reading this, so I decided to try one slab each way. One with the membrane and one with it removed. There was no difference IMO in the two. They were cooked side by side and everything else was the same. I have always removed it in the past, but this may change my mind.

What process/temps did you use?

Wrap or not wrap?
Temps?
Score the membrane?
Flat bone side down or in rack?
Oil or no oil?

Judging last year, I had a rib where the membrane was basically leather. Honestly, I'm not sure what they did to achieve it. I'm guessing very dry direct heat. I always remove mine just because that's what I do for comps, but I'm pretty sure it would disappear with my cooking method.

What process/temps did you use?

Wrap or not wrap?
Temps?
Score the membrane?
Flat bone side down or in rack?
Oil or no oil?

I shot for 250. If course, this being my first time using this cooker, I had variations and had to learn to account for those. But I never got above 270, and that was after I'd left for a couple of hours and the wind had picked up. Anywho...

Washed both slabs in cold water and patted dry.
Peeled one of the membranes and trimmed both of excess uglies.
Put my layered rub on. In between each layer I hit it with a very light must of apple juice. Did this in both sides of the slab.
Once my UDS was on target, I placers the slabs meat side up side by side.
Put the lid on and didn't touch them for 3 hours.
At 3 hours I pulled them off and wrapped them. Not for tenderness though, because they were starting to snap in the middle. I wrapped them with a coat of honey on both sides and put on for just about 20 minutes. Seems to give them an excellent glaze and the foul allows it to really get in there.
Pulled them off and out of the foil, sauced, and placed back on for another 15 minutes.

They were both delicious and no one but me knew which had the membrane and which didn't.

I have pics but can't get them on here. Don't know what happened, but it looks like my view switched somehow from the PC to the mobile version and I don't have the option to load photos.

JuIcY!! Love it.

Btw, what is the olive oil for? I just rinse and pat dry the ribs, then rub them down and let sit a while in the fridge until they are tacky; then throw them on the smoker.

Back