Busting a couple rib myths.

Fwismoker

somebody shut me the fark up.
I wanted to to try to bust a couple of rib myths. One is that the membrane doesn't melt away. The second was that meat won't get smoke ring when it is rubbed with olive oil.

When i found how much juicier the ribs can be leaving the membrane on I won't go back to taking it off. The first time was in the mini with the rack cooked on the side and i was wondering what all the black stuff that was burnt where the bone met the cooking grate. I just wanted to duplicate that and take some pictures for ya. I did a video too during the middle of the cook after it started melting away.

I don't know if it's necessary but i scored the membrane with a knife.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhRKUIsgSH4&feature=youtu.be"]Rib membrane melting away. - YouTube[/ame]

Ribs off the smoker.. The membrane is all the black char on the bottom of the bones... I know it looks nasty but trust me it brushes and falls right off.

This is the back side of the rack, you can see a spot where i pulled a little piece off trying to see if i could detect any of the membrane and i couldn't.

Here's the rack... It was only on for maybe 4 to 4 1/2 hours @ maybe 280-290

Here's a few pics of the cut up pieces and again i couldn't find any sign of the chewy membrane. These ribs were tender and tasty.

Also there is plenty of smoke ring... I've always used olive oil and have had no problem not getting ring.

Thanks for looking! :-D

Keith those look reeeeeally good. I don't hang much here in q-talk. So I don't know all of the opinions. On the comp side of things pulling the membrane allows to get more flavour in that side of the rack. And I rub with peanut oil.
One thing I was wandering is if you leave it on why score it? I don't know just curious if it would hold moisture?

Great looking ribs. I know the olive oil is a bust. I use it all the time.

Looks like you busted the membrane one too.

Keith those look reeeeeally good. I don't hang much here in q-talk. So I don't know all of the opinions. On the comp side of things pulling the membrane allows to get more flavour in that side of the rack. And I rub with peanut oil.
One thing I was wandering is if you leave it on why score it? I don't know just curious if it would hold moisture?

Yea Dan that makes sense on getting some rub flavor into the back side.

I don't really know if i needed to score them...suppose next run i could skip it and see but leaving the membrane on does seem to make the ribs hold moisture.

Rubbing with peanut oil sounds fantastic!

I always thought the black stuff that accumulates was either a little blood or marrow or both.

I never remove membranes! What is the Olive oil for? I am guessing for holding the dry rub on? I usually just apply the rub dry the night before.

I learned both ways, membrane on or off. I actually like the dryer texture of ribs cooked without the membrane. But, those sure look good to me. So, it all works if you can cook.

I learned both ways, membrane on or off. I actually like the dryer texture of ribs cooked without the membrane. But, those sure look good to me. So, it all works if you can cook.
Thanks landarc. The other day i saw a post where someone left it on and it was still there all chewy...kind of bumfuzzled me how that can happen.

I never remove membranes! What is the Olive oil for? I am guessing for holding the dry rub on? I usually just apply the rub dry the night before.

Cm.. i guess you can say i do it for the rub but I've always rubbed oil into my meats with the exception of sausages, hamburgers and hotdogs...stuff like that.

Looks fantastic. I always rub with olive oil too. In my mind since a lot of spices are soluble in oil and when meat starts to dry it tries to absorb moisture I figure let it soak up some of that spiced oil. And I have never had a problem getting a smoke ring using EVOO.

I have had cooks where the membrane does not go away, I figure it is a natural product and it might just be variability. The other possibility, is that there is something, some minor change in the cook, that leads to it still being there. It pulls off clean though. Not a big hassle.

The oil will help the ribs from getting a crust. after about 45 minutes after going on the smoker instead of spritsing or mopping I either brush or spray on more oil. It helps for the bite through that I'm looking for.

I quit pulling the membrane on my ribs as well. I use olive oil not necessarily to hold the rub but I've recently discovered how much better olive oil makes things taste.

Back