Buckboard Bacon w/ Pr0n (First Time)

v5ddvl.jpg

The most beautiful pic in the world

Well my brother and his wife both tried this bacon this afternoon and they were blown away by the flavor. They both like it much better than the $5 / lb pork belly bacon at the store. I just built him a UDS back in December for Christmas gift, now he wants to cure and smoke his own bacon :) He's gonna try it as he has a pork butt sitting in the freezer right now. (We split a case of Sam's pork butt @ 1.39/lb). I gave him a jar of YetiDave's curing rub.

Btw, when I fry it I add a little cooking oil to it because it doesn't have as much fat as pork belly bacon. This helps a lot.

Anyone have any idea how long this buckboard bacon should last in the fridge (at 38F), tightly wrapped in plastic wrap, and unsliced? (I'd cut off slices as I go and rewrap it in plastic wrap. Just wondering if I should freeze a hunk of it; I rather not if I can get away with it because I need all the freezer space I can get.

That's fun stuff. Cheaper and way better than what you can buy. I am a believer. I take that to the next step and make Pancetta out of the pork bellies. It is so darn good.....dang! If you have the book Charcuterie you can figure it out. :)

That's fun stuff. Cheaper and way better than what you can buy. I am a believer. I take that to the next step and make Pancetta out of the pork bellies. It is so darn good.....dang! If you have the book Charcuterie you can figure it out. :)

Thanks, I've been interested in making Pancetta. I have that Charcuterie book (the popular one) on loan from the library with not tentative holds--so I should be able to keep renewing it over and over (no limit here in Tulsa on renews--yay).

I'd probably make a faux Pancetta if I can out of some inexpensive cut. Pork belly is so darn expensive. But relatively speaking, how much I have been seeing gourmet grocers charge for a thin slice of pancetta, the cost of the pork belly is nothing. I've actually never tasted Pancetta, so I should do that first! lol. (Any recommendations to the brand I should taste first?) It just looks darn good.

The beauty of Pancetta is that it is essentially cured pork belly that is rolled up really tight and tied. Then it is hung in a fairly moist environment at a kinda low temp to allow it to slowly dehydrate. Don't want to do it in a fridge as that will dry the outside and leave the inside too moist. I made a special de-humidification chamber just for meats and cheese.
Once I get the Pancetta dried out enough, I give it a cold smoke for 8 hours or so. Then give it a day to stabilize. Cut it into 1/4" or so pieces and vac seal them individually.
Next time you want to make fresh Brussels sprouts, chop up one of your pieces of Pancetta in a cast iron skillet and let that thing cook slowly and render that awesome smelling fat. Cook the Sprouts in that fat and top with freshly grated Parmesan. It will be a good day!!

The beauty of Pancetta is that it is essentially cured pork belly that is rolled up really tight and tied. Then it is hung in a fairly moist environment at a kinda low temp to allow it to slowly dehydrate. Don't want to do it in a fridge as that will dry the outside and leave the inside too moist. I made a special de-humidification chamber just for meats and cheese.
Once I get the Pancetta dried out enough, I give it a cold smoke for 8 hours or so. Then give it a day to stabilize. Cut it into 1/4" or so pieces and vac seal them individually.
Next time you want to make fresh Brussels sprouts, chop up one of your pieces of Pancetta in a cast iron skillet and let that thing cook slowly and render that awesome smelling fat. Cook the Sprouts in that fat and top with freshly grated Parmesan. It will be a good day!!

I'm going to buy a slice of Pancetta from Sprouts to see what it's all about :)

It should keep in the fridge for at least a week and up to two :) I've made pancetta and store bought doesn't even come close to the stuff you can make at home

A couple more photos of this buckboard bacon that I snapped but overlooked including in the original set of photos:

The two pieces of pork butt, unsliced :

2j0xheo.jpg

And a close up:

28s4wfl.jpg

Back