THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

brisket

Just price yesterday $1.69 lb. at Sams in Houston. I think they go down about a dime for the case price.

Just picked up a case at Sam's in O'Fallon, Illinois (near St. Louis) last Thursday...$1.69/lbs by the case; $1.89/lbs individually.

Picked up some Beef Tenderloin for a catering gig this weekend too. They were priced at $9.74/lbs on the sign...got 5 loins...checked out...drove the hour and a half home...looked at the receipt and saw that they only charged me $2.17/lbs for Pork Loins. Got a little nervous that I picked up the wrong thing, went to the cooler and sure enough, I had beef tenderloins but they were labled Pork Loins @ $2.17/lbs!

Thanks for the replies everyone. Looks like I might have overpaid a little, so I'll chalk it up to education. Funny thing, since I started 'q'ing I've got a lot of education. I'll have to start watching prices more closely, decided I have to tighten the wallet a bit, usually I'm the kind of guy who will just go get what I want or need (within reason of course) and worry about it later.

Chris

Hey Guys, sorry to hijack this thread, but I just had to. Bigmista is DA MAN! I just went on your website and saw pictures of the oxtails. Sweet! I was just thinking of trying it myself. And now back to brisket pricing.

Glad yuo enjoyed them. My Avatar is a pic of my daughter Morgan eating them. She enjoyed them too!

Thanks for the replies everyone. Looks like I might have overpaid a little, so I'll chalk it up to education. Funny thing, since I started 'q'ing I've got a lot of education. I'll have to start watching prices more closely, decided I have to tighten the wallet a bit, usually I'm the kind of guy who will just go get what I want or need (within reason of course) and worry about it later.

Chris
When I started Q'ing, I used to overpay for meat too. But I came to my senses quickly. Then I decided that whenever I wanted to Q, I would keep an open mind and just get whatever was on sale...butts, 'nics, spares...wings, legs, thighs...chix, chucks, ducks...salmon, sausage, spam, etc. That approach gave me a chance to try all kinds of stuff. And boy was it fun and tasty. Now I use a restaurant supplier so I can get whatever I want at a reasonable price.

Brisket

Picked up 2 a month ago at $.87 lb bought the smallest I could find at 13-15lbs. Bought 3 more at Super Target a couple weeks ago at $.99lb. I can get them all day for $1.47 lb. Move to Texas:mrgreen:

Went to my local store... $5.99 (trimmed)... they "offered" $4.99 untrimmed.

I just walked away just dazed and confused. Went 2 miles down the road... and with a heavy sigh... bought two 5 pound flats for $2.99/lb.

With these prices all over the place, I'm definitely gonna start calling around to the place I know that carry them before I start driving around. I'm also going to start watching the sale papers to see what cuts are cheap that week and stock up. Might be interested in getting together with people who are close to me and buying in a little larger quantities ( maybe from eastern market of the like) I have a business with tax ID that I could run them through if needed. No, my business has nothing to do with bbq, but if all I need is the ID then I'm set. Might check out RD.

Chris

I can only get packers from the butchers in these parts. They range from 2.29 to 2.99 per lb.
Flats? Forget it. They go for 3.99 per lb and up.

Back