Brisket in Foil, Paper, Naked on hot and fast.

Baby Back Maniac

is Blowin Smoke!
Happy 4th of July, brethren!

We are headed to my grandma's to enjoy some family time, but before I left I uploaded a video of an experiment we did on Tuesday. These wrap tests are becoming just an excuse to get together. lol. But we love doing them and people enjoy watching them so we keep coming up with new twists.

This year the twist was we cooked them Hot & Fast (mostly over 325) in the LSG offset, and did a side by side comparison of the results. Even if you are one of those people who doesn't have time to watch, you should at least skip to the cutting scene (around the 16.5 minute mark) and watch for a minute or so. These things turned out great.

https://youtu.be/_y9k-5j6llo

Happy Independence guy, my friends. Hope you guys have a wonderful holiday.

Edit...youtube is having technical difficulties. Here is the link when it goes live. SHOULD be up by 11:10 central. Sorry.

Last edited:
I'm cooking my first brisket on my new LSG 20x42 offset tomorrow and can't decide if I want to try hot & fast or go low & slow. I would really like to see this video. :(

Edit: First brisket on this smoker, not my first ever brisket.

I'm cooking my first brisket on my new LSG 20x42 offset tomorrow and can't decide if I want to try hot & fast or go low & slow. I would really like to see this video. :(

Edit: First brisket on this smoker, not my first ever brisket.

While the video is entertaining I don't think it will provide you with any great insight into cooking on that LSG. In the video they do put wood chunks under the brisket on the grate to eliminate liquid pooling on the flat. At the beginning they say the cooker is running around 275, but later it creeps up over 300. They let the cooker run at the temp it wants to. Briskets cook until they like the bark and then they are wrapped. Good stuff.

I’m sorry, guys. This video never fully uploaded to youtube. It was stuck in processing all day. Since we could see it from the link I thought it was ok, we left for Oklahoma for the 4th, but it wasn’t showing up on youtube proper.

After 6 hours of waiting on it to finish being in “processing” status (which normally takes about 2 minutes), I gave up on it since we were at grandma’s and I didn’t have my computer to try again.

I’m just not sure why youtube got stuck on it. My suspicion is the problem had to do with the fact that we said “naked” and “unwrapped” interchangeable a lot over the course of the day to describe the brisket and that issued some sort of manual review which youtube didn’t have the manpower to do over the holiday. That’s all I can figure.

I’m going to tweak some stuff in the video and reupload later this week. I’m not sure when because I don’t know how long it will take it “process.” It’ll be worth the wait, it was a fun video. I’m sorry this happened. It’s just one of those frustrating things about youtube.

While the video is entertaining I don't think it will provide you with any great insight into cooking on that LSG. In the video they do put wood chunks under the brisket on the grate to eliminate liquid pooling on the flat. At the beginning they say the cooker is running around 275, but later it creeps up over 300. They let the cooker run at the temp it wants to. Briskets cook until they like the bark and then they are wrapped. Good stuff.

Wow, yeah I just rewatched this. I can totally see why you say this.

Just to clarify, like I said in the video our plan all along was to cook "between 300-350...where ever the cooker wants to settle in at" between those temps.

Troy wasn't trying to say we were cooking at 275. He was trying to communicate Harry's "Black belt tips" about wood chunks and caramelization when you cook over 275 degrees. I need to go back and see if I can clarify that.

This makes me think I should start prescreening these videos for mistakes I miss because my head is too far in the computer when I'm editing. lol I'm really glad you pointed this out. Thank you.

Wow, yeah I just rewatched this. I can totally see why you say this.

Just to clarify, like I said in the video our plan all along was to cook "between 300-350...where ever the cooker wants to settle in at" between those temps.

Troy wasn't trying to say we were cooking at 275. He was trying to communicate Harry's "Black belt tips" about wood chunks and caramelization when you cook over 275 degrees. I need to go back and see if I can clarify that.

This makes me think I should start prescreening these videos for mistakes I miss because my head is too far in the computer when I'm editing. lol I'm really glad you pointed this out. Thank you.

I didn't think it was a big deal. It did seem pretty clear that y'all were cooking over 300 in the majority of the video. Just glad I watched the video when I did.

I’m sorry, guys. This video never fully uploaded to youtube. It was stuck in processing all day. Since we could see it from the link I thought it was ok, we left for Oklahoma for the 4th, but it wasn’t showing up on youtube proper.

After 6 hours of waiting on it to finish being in “processing” status (which normally takes about 2 minutes), I gave up on it since we were at grandma’s and I didn’t have my computer to try again.

I’m just not sure why youtube got stuck on it. My suspicion is the problem had to do with the fact that we said “naked” and “unwrapped” interchangeable a lot over the course of the day to describe the brisket and that issued some sort of manual review which youtube didn’t have the manpower to do over the holiday. That’s all I can figure.

I’m going to tweak some stuff in the video and reupload later this week. I’m not sure when because I don’t know how long it will take it “process.” It’ll be worth the wait, it was a fun video. I’m sorry this happened. It’s just one of those frustrating things about youtube.

I demand a full refund!!! :-D

Back