Brisket Failure - Please Help

You can smoke a flat all by itself in an offset stickburner, a vertical gas, electric, gravity fed or stick burner, a UDS, a WSM or any other smoker. There's only 2 things that you really need to do. First, keep it OUT of direct thermal air flow. You do this with diffusers / baffles. Then, you need to know wtf you are doing, i.e. how to tell when a brisket is

1 flat smoked on a stick burner, nothing else on there, did wrap in BP and after a 2,5 hour rest.

a39b2ea8bf6a77fbd44b3646eadceac9.jpg

19b613625730ac3742d58f531fa1f075.jpg
[/QUOTE]

I'm missing what holding strategy has to do with what we were discussing? If anything, this article de-bunks your braising position.

Ignore the troll. He clearly has no actual cooking knowledge beyond what he can google and link, and I think he only posts here to pick fights. The article shows that most pros wrap later in the cook or not until the hold, which is what most home cooks who know how to make a good brisket do as well. That said, there is variation in their methods because there are multiple paths to good BBQ and also multiple opinions on exactly what constitutes the perfect brisket.

I'm missing what holding strategy has to do with what we were discussing? If anything, this article de-bunks your braising position.

EL cannot see the forest through the trees. Hes so worried about defining terms that he misses the point. Who cares what wrapping is or isn't it it works for you then it's a win. In an effort to be smarter than everyone else he is missing the point

lol @ you guys.

I posted it that article because I tried to give the op advice that if he wrapped his brisket to braise he wouldnt have to deal with dry meat, but then I got jumped on by a couple of the macho man types who only burn wood in the mongo side offset and dont need no stinking wrap. So, here is further proof that most of the pros who do this for a living and depend on repeat customers, also wrap.

here is another one.lol

https://bbq.tamu.edu/2013/11/04/briskets-to-wrap-or-not-to-wrap/

We fed both the wrapped and unwrapped briskets to the class, and when we asked the students which they liked, more of them preferred the wrapped briskets than the unwrapped briskets.

No worries, no need to bicker back and forth. It’s fine to agree to disagree. I wouldn’t argue that more people wrap than don’t, but I also believe guys like m-fine can consistently cook great brisket without.

lol @ you guys.

I posted it that article because I tried to give the op advice that if he wrapped his brisket to braise he wouldnt have to deal with dry meat, but then I got jumped on by a couple of the macho man types who only burn wood in the mongo side offset and dont need no stinking wrap. So, here is further proof that most of the pros who do this for a living and depend on repeat customers, also wrap.

here is another one.lol

https://bbq.tamu.edu/2013/11/04/briskets-to-wrap-or-not-to-wrap/

We fed both the wrapped and unwrapped briskets to the class, and when we asked the students which they liked, more of them preferred the wrapped briskets than the unwrapped briskets.

Bull****. Now you either have an extremely faulty memory or you are flat out lying. here is what you originally said:

ill say it one more time, just in case it was missed.

brisket flat really needs a braise. it doesnt have enough fat to protect it during a long cook, and it is a thin piece of meat that drys out easily.

you learn how to braise and you never have another dry flat. even franklin bbq braises brisket.

thank me later

MFine and I called out the errors in your statement. The FACT is that brisket flat don't "really needs a braise". it doesn't need to have fat to protect it during a long cook. And no, wrapping STILL isn't braising. As for your links, guess what else many people wrap ? Freaking Boston Butts. Are you going to sit here and say that a Butt, with over 30+ % fat doesn't have enough fat to protect it during a long cook either ?

People wrap for several reasons. One, it cuts down on the cooking time and as basically eliminates the stall. I'd explain the science, but I'm sure that it would go right over your head. Second, they want to preserve a mahogany color instead of getting some nice, deliciously dark candied bark. Third, yes, the foiling is one way, but not the only way to help with tenderness. BUT, as M-fine pointed out, you can still dry out a brisket or turn it to string if you aren't careful. So guess what ? You still have to know wtf you are doing.

Oh, and no, I don't have some bejeesus stick burner. As a matter of fact, I run two propane smokers fed with wood chunks. I will wrap brisket, ribs and butts sometimes, other times I'll run them naked for the entire cook. Both ways work. Problem is, you made an bs statement that was just flat out wrong and you were called on it.

No worries, no need to bicker back and forth. It’s fine to agree to disagree. I wouldn’t argue that more people wrap than don’t, but I also believe guys like m-fine can consistently cook great brisket without.

To be clear...

1) All my briskets end up wrapped at some point, at a minimum before they go into a cooler or holding oven.

2) I don’t have a single technique for brisket that I use every time. Depending on my time, mood, etc., or if I want to experiment a little, I may cook at different temps and wrap in foil, paper, or leave naked until the hold. If I want it done fast, I cook hotter and wrap even though I prefer the results from a longer cook and the bark from a naked cook. Real life, a lack of trustworthy BBQ employees, and the need for sleep sometimes get in the way of the pursuit of perfection, so I would guess about half the time I am wrapping before the cook is done.

Can def smoke a naked brisket all the way home to a perfect finish. Also, when someone wraps midway or near the end of the cook, they still smoked the brisket. This is universally agreed upon.

I agree it’s been smoked, I just don’t understand why folks continue to smoke it after wrapping. Might as well put it in an indoor oven and avoid the expense and vagaries of managing the smoker, tracking the temp, feeding the fire, etc. The meat won’t take any more smoke after wrapping, whether in foil or BP, so might as well take it inside and relax.

Last edited:
Most of you guys are BBQ posers who wouldn't know a properly cooked brisket if it smacked you in the face and jiggled just right! I on the other hand nail them time after time with one arm tied behind my back. Here is one of my typical perfectly smoked briskies! Eat your heart out guys.

LOL Holy Jesus.....That's not being served to Nosferatu is it?

Back