THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Smoking Westy

is one Smokin' Farker
I had an awesome day cooking for Independence Day. My tradition over the last 4 years has been to hang up a fresh American flag and then go cook up a brisket. This year I kept that tradition rolling.

Up a little before six to hang the new flag...

Then it was time to stoke a fire in the kamado and start in on trimming the brisket. This was a 15 pounder from Sam's.

Fire is almost ready - using Humphrey's lump with some white oak for smoke wood on this cook

and onto the kamado - instantly realized I had a little issue with fitment so I had to ball up some tinfoil and give it a little bend to fit. It still rubbed both sides of the lid until it shrunk up a bit. This was by far the longest 15 pounder I've every had.

Part way through the brisket cook, I fired up the WSM to do a small batch of bacon. I used plum wood for smoke on this cook. Here are the bellies ready for smoke and fire.

and here they are nearly completion - check out that pig honey!

Here is the brisket - ready to be pulled and start the rest.

I had a buddy show up and he brought along a 1.5 lb Cowboy ribeye, guess he didn't get the memo that we had 15 lbs of brisket to eat between the four of us. Oh well - we settled on ribeye for dessert.

I hit this one with some of Oakridge's Santa Maria rub and some French Gray sea salt...

I did a reverse sear, cooked it at 250 until it hit 110 and then then stoked the fire and finished the sear.

The big reveals...

Never did get a really good shot of the brisket, it was getting ate as fast as I could cut it. Flavor was great, 1st cook with oak and I really liked it paired up with brisket. Black Ops was the rub and it never disappoints. Bark was good, taste and texture were good and I even got a decent smoke ring.

For only being the 2nd time I've tried a reverse sear I was beyond happy with the results on the ribeye...

and let's not forget about the bacon!

Meaty!

It was a great day, weather was good - time spent with the family and with tending a couple fires making good eats. Thanks for looking.

Back