Brisket, Bacon & a Cowboy Ribeye for dessert

Smoking Westy

is one Smokin' Farker
I had an awesome day cooking for Independence Day. My tradition over the last 4 years has been to hang up a fresh American flag and then go cook up a brisket. This year I kept that tradition rolling.

Up a little before six to hang the new flag...

Then it was time to stoke a fire in the kamado and start in on trimming the brisket. This was a 15 pounder from Sam's.

Fire is almost ready - using Humphrey's lump with some white oak for smoke wood on this cook

and onto the kamado - instantly realized I had a little issue with fitment so I had to ball up some tinfoil and give it a little bend to fit. It still rubbed both sides of the lid until it shrunk up a bit. This was by far the longest 15 pounder I've every had.

Part way through the brisket cook, I fired up the WSM to do a small batch of bacon. I used plum wood for smoke on this cook. Here are the bellies ready for smoke and fire.

and here they are nearly completion - check out that pig honey!

Here is the brisket - ready to be pulled and start the rest.

I had a buddy show up and he brought along a 1.5 lb Cowboy ribeye, guess he didn't get the memo that we had 15 lbs of brisket to eat between the four of us. Oh well - we settled on ribeye for dessert.

I hit this one with some of Oakridge's Santa Maria rub and some French Gray sea salt...

I did a reverse sear, cooked it at 250 until it hit 110 and then then stoked the fire and finished the sear.

The big reveals...

Never did get a really good shot of the brisket, it was getting ate as fast as I could cut it. Flavor was great, 1st cook with oak and I really liked it paired up with brisket. Black Ops was the rub and it never disappoints. Bark was good, taste and texture were good and I even got a decent smoke ring.

For only being the 2nd time I've tried a reverse sear I was beyond happy with the results on the ribeye...

and let's not forget about the bacon!

Meaty!

It was a great day, weather was good - time spent with the family and with tending a couple fires making good eats. Thanks for looking.

Back