Brinkmann Trailermaster LE - Stoked Socal newb!

I like it. I guess you are the type that doesn't do anything half-way.:mrgreen:

Congratulations on the new toys! Welcome to the addiction. :-D

I like it. I guess you are the type that doesn't do anything half-way.:mrgreen:

If I wasn't getting the run around from all these local fab shops and quoting me $160+ for a baffle and tuning plates It would look and probably work better, but honestly, in the end, I can make anything work with the proper patience and setup with what I have.

Currently I have RED OAK burning with the vent door opened about 10% and it's pushing 250 at the firebox side and 230 on the exhaust side. That's with cheapo super thin tents at home depot. Who needs steal plates! ha.

Burning clear to super light smoke right now and loving the smell of this oak. Stinks real good. I am uploading a few pics and editing my seasoning video right now.

Cheers,
Adam

very cool start...I wish I had gone into smoking as prepared as you seem to be. Just take your time, listen to the advice of all these Brethren and you will avoid much of the frustrations of your now lifetime obsession.

Circular saw + $6 metal cutting blade + 1/8" scrap steel from metal yard = tuning plates. :wink:

I have used a cpl cookie sheets and a tin foil water pan

Youtube video is in "processing" mode right now. The video I made today is roughly 16 minutes long. Different pieces of throughout the day and steps I took to season my trailmaster. I know most vids are only about 3-4 minutes long but I figured I'd get into detail a bit more. Will post once it's ready to go.

Thanks for all the welcomes and comments.

So, if you feel you have 16 minutes to kill...

Here's my seasoning video. St Louis ribs will be started soon.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERhI2gyMzhQ"]Brinkmann Trailmaster LE Seasoning - YouTube[/ame]

Stick burner log-lighter

I bought a propane "log lighter" off of Amazon and modified it slightly for my firebox. I plugged the first several holes where the lighter was longer than my fb, added the "ears" on the far end to keep the holes oriented upwards, and hooked the thing up with an old regulator/hose off of an old gasser someone was throwing out. Works great!

Attachments

• IMG_0008.jpg
    IMG_0008.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_0012.jpg
    IMG_0012.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 59
That looks good, but way too much work for a simple offset smoker like mine. coal disquiets, some newspaper, and some wood chunks is good for me.

I do love the idea though, nice work!

Looks like you're off to a great start! You were also smart to do the mods right off the bat and save yourself the hassle doing them later. Be sure to post pics of the inaugural cook!

Looks like you're off to a great start! You were also smart to do the mods right off the bat and save yourself the hassle doing them later. Be sure to post pics of the inaugural cook!

I am glad I did too. Super easy and for the $60 in mods I couldn't be happier.

Going on an hour season before the cook and maintaining 5 degree difference at all times between both sides! Super stoked about that.

image_zpsfehttbtn.jpg

And I decided to use peach wood today. I've never smelled peach burn before. It's beautiful!
15E8C9E4-776E-446A-B87D-E389BD650D21_zpsr06zjyr0.jpg

In goes the ribs! Been in the fridge with rub and olive oil on them for 15 hours now that my heat is a stable 220+ in they go!

Will post a photo mid way to show how they look.

3420C486-AD3D-4FC9-8E00-CF1E2257F1CF_zpswsokmzzv.jpg

Looking Good- Esp for a beginner. Don't scared to run 250-275* - I think 275* is the best BBQ temp for everything except maybe poultry. Your cheapo tuning plates seem to be working. :thumb:

You may find small splits or logs work better for you than big chunks but maybe not - just have to try it and see what you like better.

Yeah right now I'm just newb'in it with the chunks. Having trouble keeping it over 220 at the moment right after Puting the meat in. So I added some more wood, opened the vent all the way and it's pickin back up but has too much white smoke for my liking out of the exhaust. Just gonna have to play with it. And hope it never goes under 200.

Alright. That seemed to do it. Just gotta wait longer for the wood to catch fire with the latch open or else it just dies down and doesn't properly light. Smoke has become clearer but pumping strong and now at a steady 226 on fire side and 225 on the exhaust side!

just watch out for the dreaded white smoke!!

keep a small flame going, add preheated wood and you should be fine

If the flame goes out you will see white or gray smoke. Time for more air if thats the case

I found on my old OK Joe that I had too many tuning plates in and that was hampering airflow and I was having a hard time maintaining that small flame.

Air flow is critical

So I can't add new wood to the box, which generates white smoke for about 10-15 minutes? I should use the weber chinmey, light it in there, then throw it in the box about 101-5 minutes before I wanna use it?

Back