Brine Pork Butt??

Anyone who says that brining doesn't work either hasn't tried it or didn't do it right. Hands-down, brining produces a great product when done right. I have injected many times, and if not careful, you can end up with pockets of extreme flavor and other places with none at all. Nonetheless, you can produce a great product from injecting or brining. As to not having enough time to brining at comps, I don't buy it. You can speed brine with increased amounts of salt. You just have to be careful to not "over brine." Study up on osmosis and diffusion and learn how brining works.

Brining is a science. You have to use the right amount of each ingredient, have the right temperature, and do it for the right time. The guys who created Fab, Kosmos, e.t. al, had to have gotten scientific about their injections to the point where they were perfected enough to sale because of the results they produced. I definitely will not be the guy who says you need to conform to the generally accepted practices of the barbecue world in order to win, because if everyone is doing it then what sets it apart? What makes it a winning product if it is just like Joe Smoe's across the road?

Long story short, brine or injection, pick one and get great at it....

How about hot injection. Have heard about hot injecting briskets, but not butts. Maybe you can brine for 12 hours, cook till 160, inject, then foil to 185 or 205.

Back