Urgent (as in time critical) marinade question - to heat (then cool) or not to heat

Steerpike

Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.
Hello - newbie to the Forum here (be gentle, please!)

Great site – hope to learn a lot. I have an urgent query if anyone can help please.

Tomorrow at 4am onwards I am BBQing a Boston Butt following this recipe: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/pulled-pork-recipe-1914045

My question is in respect of the marinade (which I need to start this afternoon / ASAP to get at least the minimum recommended 8 hours’ soaking). The recipe calls for “molasses”, which I think the closest we have here (I’m in England, UK) equates to black treacle (i.e. https://i5.walmartimages.com/asr/03....jpeg?odnHeight=450&odnWidth=450&odnBg=FFFFFF).

I’m assuming “molasses” means the thick, unctuous black liquid stuff rather than molasses sugar (if you think that assumption is wrong and I should be using molasses sugar for this recipe instead of liquid molasses please say!).

The marinade recipe just calls for the molasses to be added to the cold water (“Combine molasses, pickling salt, and water in 6 quart Lexan. Add Boston butt making sure it is completely submerged in brine, cover, and let sit in refrigerator for a minimum of 8 hours. 12 hours is ideal.”).

I’m concerned that the molasses/black treacle won’t dissolve into the cold water sufficiently if I just add them together as it’s very thick liquid.

QUESTION – should I put the black treacle, water and pickling salt in a large pan and bring to a gentle simmer for a bit to ensure it all dissolves fully (then let it cool completely before starting the marinade, obviously) or just do it all cold? Would the former method (heating it all up to dissolve, then cooling) be a good way to go or would pre-heating/boiling the marinade with those three ingredients (black treacle, water and salt) screw up the marinade process in any way?

My concern with doing it all cold is that the treacle won't dissolve fully/properly/enough in the water and will just sit on the bottom of the marinade vessel rather than get absorbed enough into the meat?

Sorry if the above is a dumb question, but now tight for time and want to get it right! As I say, whatever I do I need to do ASAP.

FAOD I have bought in all of the ingredients for the above recipe and that is what I will follow – just want to know whether to simmer up the treacle, water and salt marinade then cool and use or go straight to marinading with those three ingredients cold.

Any assistance/guidance on the above query very gratefully received.

Cheers and good ‘cueing!

Steerpike

Back