Roll Call. Inside 30 days. Brew City's Best BBQ, Milwaukee, WI 9/3-4

I'm going to be a spectator at this event. I'm quite new to BBQ'ing and have only a little basic knowledge, but if there is a team out there that needs an extra hand for this please let me know. I would very much like to help out. I can do what ever is needed. I live just outside of Milwaukee, I'm familiar with most of the area, and I can stay out of the way when needed.

I gotta say.. I bet the neighborhood that the contest is held, Is probably in better shape than some of the suburbs around me... Never once, have I had problem. I've never heard of anyone having any sorts of problems in 2 years of cooking the contest. Honestly, to say this and try to scare away teams and never having cooked it is not doing any favors for a home state contest.

Try and cook it, then critique the contest... They bend over backwards for you. They also have a great bar that we used to go and have a good time at..... :doh:

I agree!! We had a great time last year and had no problems whatsoever.

Have to agree as well. We had a great time, everyone was more than nice. One of the locals brought me a cold 6 pack of beer just for having spent some time answering some of his questions! I only accepted on the condition he have one or two with me!

Police presence was extensive, to say the least, but I'm not even sure it was entirely nescessary! And again, the highlight for me (well, besides the brisket call :wink:), was the priest doing the 9:22!

As the last ones out of the parking lot (something we've become better at NOT being, by the way) security was there until the bitter end. We never felt the least bit threatened the whole time.

Looks like Dive's coming Billy, sure you won't come?

Anyone know where exactly the BBQers are going to be? I'd like to come down for a look and see what everybody has going on. I read somewhere (although the source escapes me now) that it was on MLK between Walnut and Brown. But that's a pretty large area...

The judging tent was near 4th and Reservoir last year and I think it will be there this year. the teams were all around that area.

Judges tent will be at 4th and Reservior, you should be able to find all the cooks from there!

Last year, teams were on Reservior, between MLK and 4th, and in the parking lot of St. Francis. This year, I understand there is to be a wedding at the church Saturday, so extra teams will likely be along 4th, and Brown

This one has turned into a maybe for me. Need to pull some strings to make it happen, but I've always enjoyed this contest.

This one has turned into a maybe for me. Need to pull some strings to make it happen, but I've always enjoyed this contest.

Remember the first year? You guys crapping yourself because you were over with all the "big dogs"... My how times have changed... :thumb:

Remember the first year? You guys crapping yourself because you were over with all the "big dogs"... My how times have changed... :thumb:

Yep, that was a great time. Think I learned more that weekend than all the others combined. Still can't get 4 meats to work on the same day, but maybe someday the stars will align.

Last year we were team #25! Come on folks, step up and come on out! It is a great event, and the organizers and volunteers really bend over backwards. Hope to see some last minute entrants... we didnt sign up until Scottie made the last minute team call last year, on 9/1!!!

If any of you folks need Kingsford Briquettes, Home Depot is going to have twin 20lb bags on sale for $9.97

I'm going to attend this event as a spectator, but I'm still willing to help anyone out if needed. If nobody needs help I'm still going to swing by teams and watch. Perhaps I'll be carrying beverages.

Wow. What a ton of fun that was. I met a bunch of great folks at this event, saw a little of how a competition works, and just hung out. I'll have pictures soon.

Jamie ,it was nice meeting you today.
I really want to thank Andy and Kim for letting us hang out and shig a little. I am sure you gave me a lot of food for thought. I will be doing some test runs tomorrow nite into Monday. Again thanks much.

As we couldnt cook this weekend we went down today to visit and got to see a lot of our freinds. Congrats to all !

First off, a big thanks to Marjorie and all her volunteers, everyone did a GREAT job, despite some really bizarre (for Labor day weekend) weather. In the end, I think I saw only 1 easy up completely trashed.

Thanks to brewer Jamie for offering to help out with whatever he could, was great meeting you.

Also was great seeing everyone at the pot luck, food was great, as was the company.

Hope for a better turnout next year (and warmer weather!)

Jamie ,it was nice meeting you today.
I really want to thank Andy and Kim for letting us hang out and shig a little. I am sure you gave me a lot of food for thought. I will be doing some test runs tomorrow nite into Monday. Again thanks much.

As we couldnt cook this weekend we went down today to visit and got to see a lot of our freinds. Congrats to all !

I'm sorry that we didn't get to chat, Coz. You caught me in the middle of chicken prep and I was pretty focused (not that it did me any good :-D)

I'm sorry that we didn't get to chat, Coz. You caught me in the middle of chicken prep and I was pretty focused (not that it did me any good :-D)

I totally understand Ron, I have an idea what goes on at a comp and I was kinda on a mission too. I also caught the Stockcar BBQ bunch in the middle of their routine. From the looks of it I musta jinxed Andy and Kim :redface:

Back