THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

thirdeye

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Batch Image
Batch Image
I got my inspiration for this TD from the 2014 TD called "Try Tri". There was a tie and joint winners were peeps and DerHusker and I decided to mirror DerHusker's entry.

My tri-tip came un-trimmed, so after a little knife work it was ready to season.

fc7Gnqe.jpg

I didn't have rosemary, so I substituted rosemary infused olive oil, but I did use sea salt, steak seasoning and Wooster, not sure what was in DerHusker's dark bottle but I added some pepper thinking that might be it. Rubbed, and wrapped overnight, then injected about 3 hours before grilling.

Y0SF8xX.jpg

I also have a kamodo and since mine is round I opted for a raised direct set-up, with oak instead of mesquite. The tri-tip was removed around 120°, rested and finished at 500° to an internal of 133°. It was tented while I grilled the potatoes and peppers and prepared the broccoli.

BnkHifD.jpg

The potatoes were a red and a couple gold, and I had two colors of peppers and added the rosemary oil and grilled them.

98bwufM.jpg

I missed the grain change spot by a few degrees so I took my four plating slices from the center of the longer arm. This roast rested at least 25 minutes, but still exploded with juices.

g3CWkMT.jpg

Lastly, I following along with DerHusker's plating arrangement of broccoli - meat - potato medley (but no horseradish cream) everything sort of fell into place. This is a great combination of flavors.

tPlzUCO.jpg

The guidelines give the cook a little latitude: "You only need to prepare the main dish from a previous winning entry, although it's fine if you want to include the sides or any accompanying items that were included in the previous winner's dish." So in this case it was easy to use the same sides as DerHusker did... roasted potatoes are a favorite of mine and I'm good with most veggies.

Back