Brethren at the Jack video

Awesome! Thanks for posting that, we haven't seen anything yet from awards with us in it :) Very cool...

Fantastic looking desserts there you two, those are something to be really proud of.

20th Place Dessert

20th Place @ 169.71, Chris your presentation is great ! GC and a 180 Pin all in the same day, I dont think it gets much better than that !., Diva yours also rocks the house with the multi level presentation., congrats on the 180 !!

Attachments

• Jack Daniels 2009 153.jpg
    Jack Daniels 2009 153.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 52
I only seen deserts once, and it went in a clamshell. At the Royal I wasn't even around when the deserts was made, I went home, so this is really new to me.

you guys just use whatever you want? plates, trays ect. and do you get them back? I can see alot of money being used just in presentation.

Mike, since desserts are an ancillary category not regulated by KCBS, it's up to the contest organizer to set the rules they prefer. Some do specify that ancillary categories are presented in a clamshell (we've done Anything But and beans this way), others say "open container" and give guidelines for size. In this particular instance, the size limitation was 18" x 18" x 18", capable of being carried by one person. And yes, we've been at other contests where the "capable of being carried by one person" wasn't specified, and the entry was ginormous!

As far as cost, we've never gone big there. Our Anything But trays were a one-time investment from Target or Pier 1, and those cheap trays have gone to the wars many a time. I normally present desserts on appetizer dishes or ramekins from Target or Pier 1, at a cost of around a dollar each -- again used multiple times. Normally the organizer will specify a time that you can trot back and reclaim your tray, and I've only forgotten once.

We splurged on the Jack glasses from the hardware store, because I changed horses midstream and decided to abandon my carefully planned dessert in favor of the potluck dish I had thrown together, and I had nothing to put it in. The lowballs were on sale for $1.25 each!

The mechanics underneath are just as low-budget -- foamcore, fabric, hot glue and stick-on doodads. One of the elevations from last year's entries was a Diet. Mt. Dew can smashed down to size, no lie! And I'll often use duct tape to secure things. For the Anything But entries, I generally just use edible garnish nicely arranged.

So really, staging just requires a bit of advance thinking/planning, and not a lot of cash outlay once you've done it once or twice and have a tray.

Mike, since desserts are an ancillary category not regulated by KCBS, it's up to the contest organizer to set the rules they prefer. Some do specify that ancillary categories are presented in a clamshell (we've done Anything But and beans this way), others say "open container" and give guidelines for size. In this particular instance, the size limitation was 18" x 18" x 18", capable of being carried by one person. And yes, we've been at other contests where the "capable of being carried by one person" wasn't specified, and the entry was ginormous!

As far as cost, we've never gone big there. Our Anything But trays were a one-time investment from Target or Pier 1, and those cheap trays have gone to the wars many a time. I normally present desserts on appetizer dishes or ramekins from Target or Pier 1, at a cost of around a dollar each -- again used multiple times. Normally the organizer will specify a time that you can trot back and reclaim your tray, and I've only forgotten once.

We splurged on the Jack glasses from the hardware store, because I changed horses midstream and decided to abandon my carefully planned dessert in favor of the potluck dish I had thrown together, and I had nothing to put it in. The lowballs were on sale for $1.25 each!

The mechanics underneath are just as low-budget -- foamcore, fabric, hot glue and stick-on doodads. One of the elevations from last year's entries was a Diet. Mt. Dew can smashed down to size, no lie! And I'll often use duct tape to secure things. For the Anything But entries, I generally just use edible garnish nicely arranged.

So really, staging just requires a bit of advance thinking/planning, and not a lot of cash outlay once you've done it once or twice and have a tray.

thanks for the very detailed advice. I really appreciate it, I'm going to forward this to my wife, she love's making deserts, I not so much.

Thanks again!

Back