Brats, Sausages, and Hot Links - What's good in your part of the world?

Sid Post

is Blowin Smoke!
I keep reading passionate posts at various places about various brands and styles of sausage and hot links. Out here in East Texas, my options are pretty limited so, I went online to look around a few places.

Usinger's surprisingly has a pretty good shipping program on reasonable quantities. Slovacek's here in Central Texas seems to be a local only option. Conecuh out of Alabama seems to get limited traction at some retail chains in Texas. There there are the Johnsville options, still looking for the Firecracker brats :wink:.

What kind of brats, sausages, or hot links do you like where you are from? What do you like about them? Is it just good memories from times past, a unique flavor, or are they just darn good! :grin:

Are any of the 'utility grade' mass market sausages really good? I should clarify I'm talking about ones without tons of fillers and very bland tastes which lack any kind of texture or 'snap' when you bite into them (like hotdogs that are skinless or lack a natural casing with meat that has a texture of cooked paste)?

Michigan has a number of excellent sausage makers. Kowalski products are good, Koegel natural casing hot dogs are the best I've had.
In terms of nation wide, many here have good things to say about Eckrich Smoked Sausage.

If you are just in a normal supermarket and want some sausage in a pinch, those Firecracker Johnsonville ones are very nice. Seem to lend themselves better to smoking than the brats, although the beer brats from them are still good as well but are better when grilled.

Locally, there is a great Italian sausage place called Sabatino's that puts out a great sausage.

There is a little mom and pop type meat shop near my house. You can get pretty much anything you want but they specialize in sausage. It's all made fresh daily and what doesn't sell is frozen that evening because there are no preservatives used. Call in an order same day if you want. Andouille, German, Italian, Baltimore, Chorizo and various others sausages and brats. What I like the best about this place is they are still flourishing. The little family owned operations are getting rare these days competing against the big grocery chains. They may not be able to compete with bulk pricing but the quality is unmatched. I tend to be cheap sometimes but I will pay extra for good meat. I've suggested to the owner he should do mail order but he prefers the small, fresh daily operation. I respect that more than he knows. I think it's time I go over and stock up on some real sausage.

I'm a fan of Fischer's Meat Market in Muenster ,TX . Jeanie (cowgirl) is another fan of them.

http://fischersmeatmarket.com

Muenster is about 80 miles NW of Dallas. Bit of a drive but take a big ice chest and stock your freezer. Stop at 407 BBQ if coming up I-35 E.

http://407bbq.com/

I was just getting ready to mention Fischer's. lol Love that place!!
Thanks Charles.. :thumb:

We have a local grocery chain called Fareway in Iowa, they make their brats from local sources and have several varieties. This time of year we are too busy to make our own fresh and their's is pretty darn good!

We have a local grocery chain called Fareway in Iowa, they make their brats from local sources and have several varieties. This time of year we are too busy to make our own fresh and their's is pretty darn good!

Right on Norm! Fareway pizza brats are awesome, especially when you grew up with the meat manager and you can get him to put extra seasoning in.

I’m just North of you in GC.

I’m driving across Southern Wisconsin this weekend and hoping to find a new locker and local favorite.

Hey O.P.: don't know what part of East Texas you are in, but find the closest HEB, take an ice chest, and stock up! They have Chappell Hill, Slovacek's, Holmes, Prazek's (sp?), all kinds of stuff. Easy!

There is a little mom and pop type meat shop near my house. You can get pretty much anything you want but they specialize in sausage. It's all made fresh daily and what doesn't sell is frozen that evening because there are no preservatives used. Call in an order same day if you want. Andouille, German, Italian, Baltimore, Chorizo and various others sausages and brats. What I like the best about this place is they are still flourishing. The little family owned operations are getting rare these days competing against the big grocery chains. They may not be able to compete with bulk pricing but the quality is unmatched. I tend to be cheap sometimes but I will pay extra for good meat. I've suggested to the owner he should do mail order but he prefers the small, fresh daily operation. I respect that more than he knows. I think it's time I go over and stock up on some real sausage.

Mind sharing the name? I’m not far from Louisville and am always looking for good sausage.

In Central California, Lockford Sausage in Lockford CA. sabot the best there is for almost any kind of sausage you can think about. They have lines out the door everyday. Also in Gustine Ca. is Wolfsons sausage They also have a huge variety. I've tried both, but prefer Lockfords. Also since were talking Boudin, The best I've found is Billys in Opelousas La.

Back