THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DanB

is One Chatty Farker
Hi I'm looking for a recipe for Texas Hot links that are NOT so hot.
I have 3.5 lbs or ground up pork just waiting to do some thing with it. Hot links sound good.
Thanks DanB
PS How much cure for the 3.5 lb of pork? 1/2 teaspoon?

Just lookup a hotlink recipe and reduce the amount of whatever makes it hot.

^ +1 I agree...

However, adjusting to your level of comfort is based on your personal level of heat tolerances. You may have to make several adjustments to hit your comfort level.

Here's the best Texas redlinks

Bigwheel's Genuine Texas Hotlinks
AKA: Jeff Wheeler
https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1152729&postcount=2

6-7 lbs. Boston Butt
1 bottle beer
2 T. coarse ground black pepper
2 T. crushed red pepper
2 T. Cayenne
2 T. Hungarian Paprika
2 T. Morton's Tender Quick
1 T. Kosher Salt
1 T. Whole Mustard Seeds
1/4 cup minced fresh garlic
1 T. granulated garlic
1 T. MSG
1 t. ground bay leaves
1 t. whole anise seeds
1 t. coriander
1 t. ground thyme

Mix all the spices, cure, and garlic into the beer
and place in refrigerator while you cut up the meat
to fit in the grinder.
Pour the spiced beer over the meat and mix well.
Run meat and spice mixture through the fine plate
and mix again. Stuff into medium hog casings.
Smoke or slow grill till they are done. Wrap in
a piece of bread and slap on the mustard heavy.

WOW 54 views and NO replies..
DanB:roll:

You do realize there are often more guests actively viewing a thread than logged in members, right? And just because it had 54 views doesn’t mean many or any of those people could actually reply.

I don’t understand this “expectation of replies owed” thing going on here lately.

^ +1 I agree...

However, adjusting to your level of comfort is based on your personal level of heat tolerances. You may have to make several adjustments to hit your comfort level.

6-7 lbs. Boston Butt
1 bottle beer
2 T. crushed red pepper
2 T. Cayenne
2 T. Hungarian Paprika
1 T. Kosher Salt
1 T. Whole Mustard Seeds
1 T. granulated garlic
1 T. MSG
1 t. ground bay leaves
1 t. whole anise seeds
1 t. coriander
1 t. ground thyme

to fit in the grinder.

Reading this recipe makes me want to have some hotlinks.

Bigwheel is a big deal in the Texas BBG Forum and this recipe is frequently cited. Should be easy to adjust the heat downward,

You do realize there are often more guests actively viewing a thread than logged in members, right? And just because it had 54 views doesn’t mean many or any of those people could actually reply.

I don’t understand this “expectation of replies owed” thing going on here lately.

Hi Well at Least got a reply.That is a start.

DanB

Sounds like you are after a central texas elgin hot gut. That big wheel recipe looks good too but it sounds more like a true hot link.

I don't have an exact recipe but if I was trying to make a hot gut this is how i'd approach it.

They are typically either all beef or mainly beef with a little pork blended in. I'd probably go 70-80% lean meat and 30-20% fat. I'd start with 1.5% salt. Pink salt is 1 teaspoon for 5lbs of meat. If your meat, fat, cure and salt ratio is right i'd season to taste after that. I'd start with a good amount of coarse black pepper, garlic, and some mustard then add whatever else you like.

^ +1 I agree...

6-7 lbs. Boston Butt
1 bottle beer
2 T. crushed red pepper
2 T. Cayenne
2 T. Hungarian Paprika
1 T. Kosher Salt
1 T. Whole Mustard Seeds
1 T. granulated garlic
1 T. MSG
1 t. ground bay leaves
1 t. whole anise seeds
1 t. coriander
1 t. ground thyme

to fit in the grinder.

Just curious - are these recipes from the same person? The recipe in the link calls for beef and pork ground with a course plate and uses water. The recipe here uses only Pork, beer instead of water, and ground through a fine plate which will be completely different textures. I might try both!

Adios all!! It's been fun. I see I am NOT wanted here, so I'll go to the other place where I feel wanted..:blah:
DanB
PS Way too many old timers in here anyway.

Don't run of DanB.

Since this covid-19 stuff started, I have sensed a disturbance in the force here at the Brethren that I don't normally see. I know we all have bad days, but think before you post. Your posts may be meant for humor, but that doesn't always come across on the internet.

I for one, do not have a very satisfactory result when I use the search feature on this forum. Probably my shortcomings in knowing how to use it.

One of the reasons we come here is to share in the collective knowledge of the Brethren. This forum, like most forums that endure over time, kind be kind of cliquish. But that clique has always been warm and welcoming. Recently, I'm seeing replies a little on the brusk side.

So I encourage everyone to step back and look in the mirror. Kiss your dog and pet your wife. "Can't we all just get along?"

Robert

Just curious - are these recipes from the same person? The recipe in the link calls for beef and pork ground with a course plate and uses water. The recipe here uses only Pork, beer instead of water, and ground through a fine plate which will be completely different textures. I might try both!

Good eye...
I see that now.

The posted one I saved was from Bludawg.

The link I posted is from Bigabyte.

Back