THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Haven't injected yet but that's not to say I won't try it one day. Have been happy with my results so far. If some of you inject and invite me over to sample......well then I may try it sooner myself :biggrin:

Like Brian, I haven't seen too many eggers inject because of our moisture retention. I would do it with a little Jack or something if it were me, just to add another layer of flavor.

But I'm with you about the mustard. I've done it both ways, and I just prefer the mustard to help the bark along.

Injecting, as mentioned, can add flavor to the interior. For home use, that's the biggest advantage, esp if you don't sauce. For comp, I started using fab p, which does other stuff, too. For home, injecting with a coffee/pineapple mix can also add extra tenderizing.

I have done the side by side and find there is a differance. The injected seemed to contain more flavor. I couldnt see a differance in the moisture, but then again I cant see inside an uncooked shoulder to see it fat content. Do what you like!! thats the best policy!

I will add that the first time I injected butts I did 2 butts exactly alike except for the injection. I took them to work for a party. Everyone there had sampled my pork before...

22 of 24 people preferred the injected butt (and I didn't tell them which was which)

I'm going to bring this back from the dead after my experience yesterday.

I injected a 8.75# butt with apple juice, water, worchestershire sauce, and a few spices. Then I rubbed it down without any mustard. It sat for about 12 hours before going in the egg.

It was the best pulled pork I've ever made. :biggrin: I'm a harsh critic of my own food, so I'm not bragging. :wink: Usually the interior meat just tastes like meat, if you know what I mean. This meat didn't need any sauce, as there was flavor through the entire chunk. When pulled, the flavors all melted together quite nicely.

I will definitely be injecting my big pork cuts from now on. :cool:

Last edited:
Everyone has their own way....I inject during competitions but only use apple juice. Never could see any difference in my scores whether I inject or not. I have used Chris Lilly's injection but it wasn't anything to jump up and down about. Tell you the truth I think chicken stock would be a good injection. I use a mixture of beef base, B-V, and chicken base on my brisket and it has served me well.

I don't think it's a matter of one being better than the other. It's just a bit different, like grilling a filet with just a bit of salt and pepper vs pan searing and making a triple reduction from the fond. Depending on the day and my tastes, one may be better than the other but in the end, they're just variations of a theme. Why not do both or switch back and forth? A little variety never hury anyone!

you farker! now i'm hungry looking at those photos!

oh wait... those are my photos! :biggrin:

you better give yourself a high five 'cause thems do look delicious! i finish butts off in the oven using a ceramic kitchen hearth sometimes and they always come out with a different, almost buttery texture which is nice even though i prefer pulled pork to have a crispier stringier texture, so i usually don't inject either but for The Battle of The BBQ Brethren in Sayville i remembered an interview with Myron Mixon where he said he injects butts with peach nectar and fab b. i substituted a 1tsp/1cup saline solution for the fab b and mixed 50/50 with peach nectar and injected evenly throughout the two we cooked. when we broke them open they were really juicey and the taste was very nice so i wouldn't rule out giving that a try once in a while in combination with the ceramic. JM.02!

phil

I don't think it's a matter of one being better than the other. It's just a bit different, like grilling a filet with just a bit of salt and pepper vs pan searing and making a triple reduction from the fond. Depending on the day and my tastes, one may be better than the other but in the end, they're just variations of a theme. Why not do both or switch back and forth? A little variety never hury anyone!

for me, at this point, it's just the "keep it simple, stupid" (KISS) principle.
i just put on a turkey breast with nothing but salt & pepper and cherry chips for smoke.
:redface:

:lol:

I usually inject with a mod of DrBBQ's Big Pig injection and defat the juices that collect in the foil and add back to the butt after it is pulled. Adds the flavors of the rub, injection and the natural pork flavor too.

Now I"M hungry for some butt you farker!:lol:

Back