THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

THoey1963

somebody shut me the fark up.
Name or Nickame
Terry
I remembered a post from GMDGeek and need to try something similar. First time I have searched for "ASIAN BUTTS". Well, ok, on this site. :mrgreen:

A link to his original thread:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2941284#post2941284

I could have replied to that thread, but since I have questions about changing the recipe some, I figured I would start my own.

I volunteered to cook some Hawaiian Pulled Pork for a couples' "after they return from getting married in Hawaii wedding party". Still don't have the numbers yet, but looking like maybe 4 shoulders worth. They said are going to pay for the cook, but I'll probably accidentally lose the receipt and do it as a gift to them.

Since I have never cooked this flavor profile, I thought I might combine a trial run on this along with Father's Day and Spurs Championship to take up to the bar this Sunday night. I had a 10.5# shoulder in the freezer, so I pulled it out to thaw a couple days ago. I am planning on getting the stuff for the marinade tomorrow, injecting, and then probably smoking late tomorrow night (like 3 am) or early Sunday morning (6 am). GMD said he cooked for 3 hours at 250*, foiled with some added stuff, and then back on for 5 hours at 275*

Pork Injection/Marinade
1 tbsp dark soy sauce
4 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
8 crushed garlic cloves
2 tbsp fresh grated ginger root
1 large minced onion
1 cup pineapple juice
1 cup ginger ale

*Mix together, put in a large 2 gallon zip lock bag, and add 1 to 2 pork shoulders - marinade over night.

** Smoked shoulders @250 for 3 hours, then wrapped

To add to Foil Wrap
4 slices of Pineapple
1 thick sliced Onion
1 banana leaf (of a handful of cabbage leaves with some kale mixed in)
Pour in left over marinade

***Wrap and finish cooking @275 - will take around 8 hours total

A couple of questions:

- Did you do any rub after the marinade prior to putting it on the smoker? I was thinking maybe some black pepper with just a hint of Paprika and Cayenne for color and a little spice. I prefer spicy over sweet, but don't want too much as the bride is a wimp and I don't usually consider Hawaiian food spicy.
- Did you start it off in the pan or just add that when you foiled?
- I have sometimes seen Banana leaves at our HEB. Do they really add anything to the flavor profile?
- I didn't see if you mentioned what type of wood you used. I have Pecan, Apple, and Cherry that might go with this. Also have Mesquite, but not thinking that fits the profile.
- I was thinking of serving these as sliders on those Hawaiian bread dinner rolls. Maybe have some thin sliced pineapple to go with it. Hmmm... Or maybe a Pineapple Salsa (Thanks Food Network):

Pineapple Salsa:

1 pineapple, diced and cored, juices reserved
2 tomato, diced
1 red onion, minced
1 small jalapeno, diced
2 tablespoon chopped cilantro leaves
2 lime, juiced
Salt and pepper

We do something very similar. My marinade is pretty close to the one listed, however I add Hoisin Sauce, Lemongrass and scallions (these last two go in the wrap as well). For this type of application I always go straight fruit wood so you can taste all the other flavors. Good Luck!
PS - Off topic, but have you ever tried a leaf of fresh basil with Pineapple? When ever we buy a Pineapple, we get two just for Pineapple/Basil...Insane.

Hmmm... Good idea. I am sure the Hoisin Sauce would add the color and the slight heat I was looking for. Thanks!

The Hoisin would be a good add-in for the Asian flavor profile.
I think the cherry wood would be perfect for this cook too.
I do a similar cook using Country style ribs, and use the lemongrass and green onions in the marinade.

You won't need to add anything for color, it will be there. A dark red color should be the result if you don't get too dark. No worries about a rub, won't be needed.

As for wood, Kiawe is the dominant wood burned in Hawaii for cooks, it is actually a cousin to our Mesquite. Of course, the thing about it is, that in Hawaiian pig roasts, the kiawe fire is used to heat the rocks, which are then used to steam the pig. If I was to smoke a butt, I would be largely using a oak fire, adding just a little mesquite for perfume.

edit: Most all Asian marinades include either Shao sing, or sake, or some variation, to carry the flavors. I would be tempted to add some dry sherry or brandy to that marinade.

You won't need to add anything for color, it will be there. A dark red color should be the result if you don't get too dark. No worries about a rub, won't be needed.

As for wood, Kiawe is the dominant wood burned in Hawaii for cooks, it is actually a cousin to our Mesquite. Of course, the thing about it is, that in Hawaiian pig roasts, the kiawe fire is used to heat the rocks, which are then used to steam the pig. If I was to smoke a butt, I would be largely using a oak fire, adding just a little mesquite for perfume.

edit: Most all Asian marinades include either Shao sing, or sake, or some variation, to carry the flavors. I would be tempted to add some dry sherry or brandy to that marinade.
That, sir, is an excellent idea.

sounds great. looking forward to seeing how it turns out. which bar should I show up to so I can watch the spurs game and taste the results of your cook?

When you say Hawaiian Pulled Pork are you referring to Kaula pork? I'm half Chinese, have family in Hawaii, and spent my summers growing up in Hawaii so I'm pretty familiar with Hawaiian BBQ. When I cook Kaula pork it's very easy, problem is there's one very key ingredient, Red Hawaiian Salt. The next most important thing is banana leaves to wrap the pork in. If you are looking to make true Hawaiian style pulled pork, those are the only ingredients you need.

Rub the pork with the salt, and wrap it in a couple layers of banana leaves. Either tie the banana leaves up (which is very difficult) or wrap the entire thing in foil. I then slice "vents" in the foil all the way through the banana leaves to make sure smoke can penetrate to the meat. Make sure to put the pork butt in a foil pan or have something to catch the juices. The juices that cook out of the pork are crucial at the end to mix with the pulled pork for the true Hawaiian BBQ flavor. The cook time is typically faster than traditional butt because you're wrapped in leaves and foil.

I typically use hickory wood for this recipe, but also have used pecan and mesquite. The flavor from the salt and banana leaves is more important than the smoke for this one.

This is the salt, I stock up on it every time I go to Hawaii. http://www.worldmarket.com/product/alaea-red-hawaiian-sea-salt.do

TD80 - Stetson Bar at 7350 Tezel Rd. Northwest side of town, and you are more than welcome to join us. Hoping to get others to bring a bunch of sides or other Q. Decent size country bar, not gonna be packed for the game (unfortunately).

Peking Porker - Sorry, I should have said "something like Hawaiian Pork". While I was born there, I wasn't eating solid foods before we left. I do plan on going back soon, so maybe then I'll get more insight. The Bride of the wedding party that I'll be cooking for has lived there more than I have. I described what I was thinking of and she liked the "idea". Not true Hawaiian, but pretty good for Texas.

When I go visit soon, sometime this year or next, I will have to get some of that salt. Thanks for the tips...

TD80 - Stetson Bar at 7350 Tezel Rd. Northwest side of town, and you are more than welcome to join us. Hoping to get others to bring a bunch of sides or other Q. Decent size country bar, not gonna be packed for the game (unfortunately).

Peking Porker - Sorry, I should have said "something like Hawaiian Pork". While I was born there, I wasn't eating solid foods before we left. I do plan on going back soon, so maybe then I'll get more insight. The Bride of the wedding party that I'll be cooking for has lived there more than I have. I described what I was thinking of and she liked the "idea". Not true Hawaiian, but pretty good for Texas.

When I go visit soon, sometime this year or next, I will have to get some of that salt. Thanks for the tips...

Thanks for the invite. I forgot it was Father's Day when I made the post above and am going to be spending time with the fam this afternoon and evening. I got some ribs on the smoker. Good luck with your cook and Go Spurs.

Back