THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thanks for your service Rod

Very interesting reading here...
http://pelletenvy.blogspot.com/

Sounds like the KCBS board is a lot like the City Council I'm a part of:shock:

I'm curious. What exactly was interesting?

There are a lot of words, but 90% of it is nothing more than supposition, without actually saying anything.

All it does it make me question "Why all of the 'what ifs'?"

If someone has something to say, they should just come out and say it, rather than hiding behind "what ifs."

Might as well have said "What if I told you that rain drops were made of BBQ sauce?" They're not, but what if?

Bill, the point that I was trying to make, is that just because someone puts something on thier blog, couching each statement behind a "what if," then it doesn't necessarily make it the truth.

Drop the "what ifs" and I will pay more attention to what is said. If what is said is the truth, then there really is no liability in it. If it not the truth, then it shouldn't be said.

If anyone wants to make public statements and be taken seriously, then they need to put their word behind it.

Not everything that you read (especially on the internet) is true. So why should readers give credence to statements that are phrased in a manner to readily enable disclaim?

I have heard it from reps and others who work for KCBS folks. If it was just Rod, I might think there were personality or other issues. From hearing what I hear from several people, I believe Rod. The unreasonable person's act is wearing thin on many people, not just Rod.

Tim, it really doesn't matter if there is actual liability in it, this person is apt to threaten legal action any time he's crossed. Who wants a part of that, regardless of whether allegations are true and liability is slim?

And Jim, one issue that is logical and well-thought out doesn't mean someone isn't a trouble maker and causing dissent on the board.

Thank you Rod for your service to the KCBS and thank you for letting us know why you resigned. When I talked with you about this on Saturday, I knew that there was more to the story but understood why you weren't ready to share. What is amazing to me is that given all this, Rod is not bitter about the organization and still is a strong supporter of it. I applaud you for that. :eusa_clap

Jeff
"causing dissent on the board"
You think that is a bad thing? You would if business as usual is your goal.
Go back and read Board minutes and you may get an idea how things are..

What if by the actions of the office KCBS has put KCBS in a position to be liable for large amount of money because they didn't follow KCBS rules for sanctioning. What if two members of the Board spoke were contacted parties involved to start the process to try resolve the situation. What if a Board member went off on a F#@$ rant and was removed from the meeting and the next day resigns.

Believe what ever you want, but Ray resigned for a reason, I didn't run for a second term for a reason, in both cases it didn't have anything to do with the Board member that all the innuendo is pointed at.

Jeff

What if by the actions of the office KCBS has put KCBS in a position to be liable for large amount of money because they didn't follow KCBS rules for sanctioning. What if two members of the Board spoke were contacted parties involved to start the process to try resolve the situation. What if a Board member went off on a F#@$ rant and was removed from the meeting and the next day resigns.

Believe what ever you want, but Ray resigned for a reason, I didn't run for a second term for a reason, in both cases it didn't have anything to do with the Board member that all the innuendo is pointed at.

I just fail to see how damned near EVERY time, there is an 8-3 vote on the board that it's the rest of the board's fault when there's a problem. Jim, you give few examples and, as a human resources professional, I am well aware that even the worst employees occasionally do good things. It seems to me it's not what's being done by the person in question but rather HOW that person goes about doing it.

Hey Jim it sounds like you have inside info. Why don't you tell us what you know and who told you ?

What if you have inside info from the board room when w`
Jeff

Rod will be interviewed on BBQCentral Radio tonight. Here's the email that Greg sent out today.

"Hi everyone! Sorry for the double newsletter today, but the previous one was written in advance of me also booking Rod Gray of Pellet Envy on the show tonight. I will have the 2 guests on as the previous newsletter stated, but, I have also added Rod Gray to the last segment. If you follow the KCBS, you know that Rod resigned his post on the Board of Directors late last week. There has been a lot of specualtion as to why this happened. Rod agreed to come on tonight to give his side of the story...he has also stated that he will not be naming names specifically to avoid any potential legal issues. His segment will start around 9:30pm EST tonight...but the show itself will start at its regular 9pm EST air time. If you know of anyone who is interested in this please forward this to them! Thanks!! Greg 9pm EST on http://www.latalkradio.com Channel 1 Call-In: 216-220-0966 Email: bbqcentralradio@gmail.com "

on edit:
Sorry, I didn't see Greg's post up above before I posted this. :oops:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm certainly an outsider being here in the hinterlands of BBQ (NY), and I don't personally know either of the two principals; but I had a lot more respect for Rod when he initially resigned than now.

It seems that he has disabled the function allowing comments on his post, so it's akin to a bully pulpit without an opportunity for anyone to question his interpretation of the facts or to correct any mistakes (or to cast light on innuendo).

Some of his comments are troublesome if accurate. Others seem to be strictly subjective. More seem to be attempts to use half truths to smear the subject of his invective.

I don't want to quote from his site (not sure about the rules on that), so let's just go through them by number:

1) Troubling and shouldn't happen.

2) Ridiculous and shouldn't be a concern without more detail. I have lots of personal friends in the KCBS that I might joke around with in an email. Without details this is meaningless.

3) Completely subjective

4) Without specifics it is hard to give this any credence. The entirety of the staff? A little hard to believe.

5) How on earth would Rod be privy to this knowledge? What would be the purpose?

6) If this is true it is troubling.

7) Sounds like the kvetching of someone that didn't get there way. I highly doubt that the person involved is some crazed svengali and it's a bit insulting to the other members of the BoD to insinuate that they are that easily swayed.

8 - Seems baseless and in contradiction to what I have seen the individual in question try to get accomplished.

9) From what I have been told, that is a complete misrepresentation of the facts and more than anything else this makes me doubt the veracity of anything that Rod says.

10) If accurate, this is troubling.

11) This just doesn't ring true. It seems much more likely that it can be interpreted as 'I don't have much time left, so I'm going to try to get as much accomplished as possible. If I get as much done as I want, this is going to be a crazy 6 months'.

12) In general or on matters regarding the law? Regardless, if that is accurate it would have been rude in the extreme and troublesome.

13) Believable. I would have done the same.

14) Silly. Just completely inane. The nominating process is clearly vague and there have been two different process' followed in the past when someone resigned from the board. To try to enact a more structured process isn't what I would consider a negative.

To follow all 14 points up with a statement that he isn't going to make those 14 points is disingenuous at best.

So, out of 14 points less than a handful would be things that I would be concerned with if they were accurate.

Way too subjective for my liking and many points border on calumny.

Eric

Perhaps, but he really didn't say any of it. See the first sentence of the last paragraph. :wink:

Yeah, that was the possibly the worst of it. Hiding behind a weak disclaimer didn't help things at all.

If you don't want to say something, then don't. Not too complicated.

Eric

Attempting to read between the lines of Internet postings is futile.

Rather than try to guess at what is really happening, why don't you attend a Board meeting or pick up the phone and talk first-hand with the parties involved and then double-check what they tell you with your own trusted sources.

You'll soon understand what the truth is and who is telling people what they want to hear purely for their own self interest. And no, I'm not going to post any specifics either as I have better things to do than waste time defending myself against frivolous lawsuits.

Last edited:
JWhat if a Board member went off on a F#@$ rant and was removed from the meeting and the next day resigns.

Well according to the interview Rod Did tonight that statement is totally false. Nobody was removed from the meeting. This situation is bad enough without people spreading misinformation. Shame shame

Well according to the interview Rod Did tonight that statement is totally false. Nobody was removed from the meeting. This situation is bad enough without people spreading misinformation. Shame shame

:) one of the problems here is both "sides" have no shame
Its all about
I am right you are wrong

Jeff

Removal from the meeting was called for
But in the end was not necessary

Removal from the meeting was called for
But in the end was not necessary
Called for by who ? You guys out West seem to have a lot of inside info. Were the minutes of the meeting posted somewhere that I'm not aware of ? Were you at the meeting ? What's your source ?

I will actually be having Rod on tonight to interview him about his side of the story to eliminate at least one side of specualtion. He should be on around 9:30pm EST and you can listen by going to www.latalkradio.com (Channel 1). The BBQ Central Show begins airing live at 9pm EST but that is the time I tentatively have set up for Rod's apperance.

This is not a spam post...just trying to let everyone who is interested in this topic know where you can go to hear a live interview.

If you have a question you would like to ask Rod you can call in (216-220-0966) or you can email bbqcentralradio@gmail.com

Thanks!

Greg

Greg, do you know when the archive will be available so that we can hear the end of the interview?

Back