Blueberries & BBQ Festival Callahan, FL (FBA)

wild cherry ?

i dont know what bubba us talkin about !
it was nice meeting brent this week end. the space girls have been watchin for a long time they have put in thier time, they have competed as the sweat hogs before and had really good food back then, I think the cracker just put the icing on the cake. they love this game and are some of the best guys i know:mrgreen:

the space girls have been watchin for a long time they have put in thier time, they have competed as the sweat hogs before and had really good food back then, I think the cracker just put the icing on the cake. they love this game and are some of the best guys i know:mrgreen:

Jim thanks for the compliment, is there any chance of signing up for that cooking class that cracker posted about.:wink:

Too Many Bloody Marys

cant remember what i did .......................sorry :wink:

Way to go baby brother!! Very impressed! I'm drinking a Bloody Mary in your honor right now....Cheers!:lol:

callahan_grand.jpg

callahan_reserve.jpg
Grand Champion - Big Daddy Q
Reserve - HomeBBQ.com
[Overall]
3rd- Smokin Cracker
4th- Bubba Chuck
5th- Barbeque Crew
6th- Jus Fer Fun
7th- Huff and Puff
8th- Bub-ba-Q
9th- Munchees Smokehouse
10th- Budmeisters

callahan_chicken.jpg
Chicken
1st- Munchees Smokehouse 2nd- Barbeque Crew
3rd- Bubba Chuck
4th- Home BBQ.com
5th- Primetime Smokers
6th- Smokin Cracker
7th- Big Daddy Q
8th- Jacks Old South
9th- Bub-ba-Q
10th- GB's BBQ

callahan_ribs.jpg
Ribs
1st- Big Daddy Q 2nd- Smokin Cracker
3rd- Jus Fer Fun
4th- Budmeisters
5th- Barbeque Crew
6th- Home BBQ.com
7th- Bub-ba-Q
8th- Huff and Puff
9th- Big Papa's Country Kitchen
10th- Bethel Smokers

callahan_pork.jpg
Pork
1st- Big Daddy Q 2nd- Budmeisters
3rd- Bub-Ba-Q
4th- Smokin Cracker
5th- Jacks Old South
6th- Home BBQ.com
7th- Harvey Creek BBQ
8th- Flirtin' with Disaster
9th- Jus Fer Fun
10th- Huff and Puff

callahan_brisket.jpg
Brisket
1st- Big Daddy Q 2nd- Home BBQ.com
3rd- Bubba Chuck
4th- Jus Fer Fun
5th- Smokin Cracker
6th- Flirtin' with Disaster
7th- GB's BBQ
8th- Big Papa's Country Kitchen
9th- Huff and Puff
10th- Munchees Smokehouse

Thought it was time to update this fine message with some pictures!

[SIZE=+1]Local man wins barbeque competition Jim McCoin has won multiple barbequing competitions in the last two years. He currently holds third place for 2007 in the Florida Barbeque Association. [/SIZE]
By Victoria Hannon, Okeechobee News Walking into Jim McCoin’s office, one can not help but notice the plethora of trophies lining his walls. For the vast majority of these decorations, they were won in barbeque competitions he has taken part in during the past two years.
Also known as Big Daddy Q, he recently won the 2007 Blueberries & BBQ Festival’s BBQ competition in Callahan. The competition was held June 15 -16. He was named competition Grand Champion, as well as winning in the ribs, pork, and brisket competitions.
This Okeechobee citizen also holds the title for top scores in overall competition score and ribs for 2007, as well as the highest score in FBA history for the brisket competition. He is only two spots away from being named team of the year by the Florida Barbeque Association, with a number of competitions still to go in the year. He commented that he was happy to be seen as being on the same level as someone like Jacks Old South, who is according to Mr. McCoin a barbequing legend
“I only did 13 competitions last year,” commented Mr. McCoin, who placed 10th overall last year. “I’ve already done that many this year. I’ll probably do about 25.”
Prior to the start of competition two years ago, Mr. McCoin had taken part in the occasional competition, but had never really done much more that regular grilling.
“As you compete you learn off other people,” commenter Mr. McCoin. “You go around and taste and see what other people are doing, but once you get to a certain level you don’t want to anymore. It get’s harder to improve.”
As the cooks improve and begin to achieve acclaim in the grilling circles, they find that people start to learn who they are.
“When we travel to Georgia and Alabama people know who we are. They keep up with it up there, but a lot of people in Florida have no idea about the competitions.”
While the title of the association, Florida Barbeque Association, leads one to believe that it is only a Florida program, in truth they cover Florida, Tennessee, Georgia and Alabama. The sites are generally close enough that Mr. McCoin drives to most of the competitions.
“For most of the competitions, I leave on Thursday and get where-ever,” stated Mr. McCoin. “Friday morning the meat is inspected and we have a cooks meeting around 5 that evening; then we get busy.”
The finished product in turned in between 11 am and 2 pm the following day, depending on the type of meat. Then the judges have to score it. The finished product is scored by six judges in three areas. These areas are presentation of the finished product, flavor of the meat, and tenderness/texture of the meat. The judges score each entry from a low of 5.0 to a high of 10.0 in increments of .5 points for each category.
“We are very much a family,” commented Mr. McCoin. “On Thursday nights someone will cook chicken and rice or chili and we’ll all sit around a fire and talk. It reminds me of when I was a kid and went hunting, without the hunting.”
The sense of camaraderie does not end with sitting around a fire.
“At the American Royal, Spicewine (another cook) had a motor home, the meat and cooker there for us. All we had to provide was the spices,” remarked Mr. McCoin. “Just like family does for you.”
It is because of this sense of family that Mr. McCoin does not begrudge others when they win.
“I’m happy to see someone else win,” he stated. “Everyone has a good time and I would be happy for more people to join. The way I see it, more people mean more friends.”
Mr. McCoin also belongs to the Kansas City Barbeque Society.
“Most of the time I don’t do good (in the KCBS) because I don’t decorate,” stated Mr. McCoin. “A lot of these teams bring their wives to decorate the meat, but I’m a single cook and don’t have time.”
Unlike the FBA, the KCBS allows cooks to decorate the finished product with lettuce and garnishes.

I didn't see MY name in there!? :rolleyes:

Congrats Mr. McCoin, nice write up.

rub your name was mentioned many many times, the lady elected not to write about, beer drinking, stealing golf carts, strip clubs, flirting with huddle house girls, asking the IHOP waitresses if they have seen you on the food network, telling the applebees bartender bobby flay is meeting you there, its a small town where i live they wouldnt take kindly to your big city tactics!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
( I love em though)
MAN CANT WAIT FOR THE NEXT CONTEST !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

brent....................yep

rub your name was mentioned many many times, the lady elected not to write about, beer drinking, stealing golf carts, strip clubs, flirting with huddle house girls, asking the IHOP waitresses if they have seen you on the food network, telling the applebees bartender bobby flay is meeting you there, its a small town where i live they wouldnt take kindly to your big city tactics!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
( I love em though)
MAN CANT WAIT FOR THE NEXT CONTEST !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

brent....................yep

Aha....the Rub-meister at work :biggrin:

Lol, don't believe Big Daddy. If he's talking, he's BS'in. Oh yeah, that stuff happened, but it wasn't me...hmmmm, who could it be?

Speaking of golf carts, I see a neurosurgeon tomorrow morning... :sad:

Last edited:
I didn't see MY name in there!? :rolleyes:

Congrats Mr. McCoin, nice write up.

I didn't see my name either! He has to mention Jacks Old South... hmmm

I guess that means your not at my level yet, is that right? :wink: :razz:

Congrats Jim!

I didn't see my name either! He has to mention Jacks Old South... hmmm

I guess that means your not at my level yet, is that right? :wink: :razz:

Congrats Jim!

yes kevin, i spoke of the legend and his spices too, i am not even close to either of you................ but the girl looked so good, and you know me !!!:lol:

yes kevin, i spoke of the legend and his spices too, i am not even close to either of you................ but the girl looked so good, and you know me !!!:lol:

You see Jim, you have to give credit to those you stole from... Because that's all they are going to get! :wink: :biggrin:

I didn't see Jimmy's name, or Mike's, or mine (when you bribed Clara into sneaking you all my bbq in Brookesville so you could taste it and have it analyzed)...
:lol:
But hey, the limelight is yours! Enjoy it while you got it....

On Edit: This is all tongue in cheek... Congrats on that Jim! Happy for you....

Back