Blasphemy in Cincinnati - oven ribs

Mikhail

Babbling Farker
Name or Nickame
Mik
It's in the teens here so I am going to do a couple racks of back ribs...in the oven. Yes, yes, I feel like a wimp but so be it.

Anyway, I defrosted them, pulled off the membranes and rubbed them with Plowboy's Yardbird (I know I have some Oakridge Secret weapon but darned if I can find it).

Going to broil or maybe gas grill them at the end with This Little Goat Went to Korea BBQ sauce on one rack, Montgomery Inn sauce (My Favorite Redhead likes it for some unknown reason) on the other.

Any tips for the best that can be expected? Thinking 275. Wrap? No wrap?

Oven? You’re not going to boil them too, are you?

Or you could wait until tomorrow - it’s going to be in the 50’s in OH.

Tomorrow might be oxtails and lamb shanks outside. But we have family and friends coming tonight. Plenty of ribs in the freezer.

That's about right. I would never do such a thing.

I have an instant pot, but I've not been a big fan of pressure cooking meats that really need low and slow.

My wife grew up on oven ribs. I don’t mind cooking those for her at all. Oven at 300*
Pull membrane
Season liberally both sides
Place meat side of seasoned ribs on foil
Add a shot glass of liquid (Jack Daniels Apple works great) as well tea coffee beer etc
Wrap tightly
Place in oven 2 hours
Remove from oven, glaze finish over coals or under broiler (I’ve never used broiler but she has)

They’re actually good and works quite well with the lean BabyBack Ribs

I tried it once or twice with spares and they fell apart. Not a bad thing if it’s what you’re looking for. It wasn’t

Maylar, that recipe is turning out very well. Now I am in the saucing and hot phase. Glazing nicely. Using Montgomery Inn, the Korean BBQ and Sweet Baby Ray's original on three different sections.

Turned out excellent. Miss the smoke ring a little but they were delicious and had just the right soft bite to come off the bone clean, not fall off.

87960188_10157893014131341_8323731389417521152_n.jpg

88336065_10157893014026341_5794682490358595584_n.jpg

87872610_10157893013926341_6839670302880825344_n.jpg

BUT... tomorrow we will be almost 60 again so will probably fire up the PK or the Open Range. Oxtails maybe, or a meat loaf.

Missing smoke. I even (pearl clutching moment to come...) sprinkled the racks with liquid smoke and rubbed it in. It did not a thing to the flavor.

Ribs look great, nothing wrong with utilizing alternative cooking methods when the weather does not want to cooperate.

Back