Baby back racks ~ oven prep suggestions?

InThePitBBQ

is Blowin Smoke!
Name or Nickame
Bob
I know, an oven? Blasphemy!

But on a boat that's all I'm going to have to work with and I want to do a few racks and finish wrap with some brown sugar and sauce.

Pour off juices, prop them up on foil balls? Half and half on time for wrapping?

Any suggestions greatly appreciated guys and gals I really don't want them to have the taste and texture of a crock pot cook I hope you are all well!

Bride grew up on oven ribs so every 12-18 months.I cook them for her.
Remove Membrane
Season with a sweeter than normal rub.
Add your butter, brown sugar, tiger sauce, JD Apple whiskey
The liquids should not be drowning
Meat side down wrapped tightly in foil
250° for 2-3 hours on sheet pan
Carefully open package and check for doneness
Flip over meat side up
Make a glaze
Allow to keep cooking to desired doneness while basting freqi
Turn on broil at end to caramelized finish

Let them sit uncovered until temp drops to about 165-170° and this will make it easier for even pretty cuts. Cut to quickly and meat shreds.

It's not an exact science as it seems. The size of a 3#+ loin back and a 2# loin back back can vary greatly in finish time and texture.

I actually like these when I cook them for her and make great faux McRib.

Perhaps a practice rack of size you plan to cook.

I know, an oven? Blasphemy!

But on a boat that's all I'm going to have to work with and I want to do a few racks and finish wrap with some brown sugar and sauce.

Pour off juices, prop them up on foil balls? Half and half on time for wrapping?

Any suggestions greatly appreciated guys and gals I really don't want them to have the taste and texture of a crock pot cook I hope you are all well!

Looks like Adams has a plan!

I'm of no help, just wanted to say good to see ya Bob! Hope all is well! :grin:

Looks like Adams has a plan!

I'm of no help, just wanted to say good to see ya Bob! Hope all is well! :grin:

HI! I couldn't be better it's always a pleasure to hear from you, hope all is well for you and yours!

I'm thinking of maybe cranking the temps up for an uncovered finish in the 400* range, give em some color and then sauce and back in for a few to set the sauce.

I do oven ribs about like cooking indirect on a kettle. Set-up is a rack in a sheet pan, meat side up for about 2.5 hours, then I wrap meat side down with some butter and liquid for maybe 1 hour. Next is out of the foil and meat side up to let them set up or to glaze.

I don't always use a barbecue rub, sometimes I'll use SPG, or add some dried herbs.

Back