big green egg

That's a steal! CongraTulations.d ont rush out and buy a bunch of things just learn how to control the fire with grilling and then progress to smoking. Ceramic cookers are take a little bit of getting used to but are super easy and produce great results

Congrats on getting a great deal.

Before buying the plate setter you really should look at the other options from the ceramic grill store. The adjustable rig that they sell is really cool.

Good luck with your new toy.

Great deal! I love my BGE! Puts out some great cooks. Get yourself a reliable pit temp thermometer and start using that puppy. IMO, start with easy stuff first. Cook a fatty, then a spatchcock chicken, then a pork shoulder. Don't start with hard stuff as you will probably not be happy until you learn temp control.

1 more question, my top piece does not come, what do I do

What does that mean?

your picture shows a top vent with a daisy wheel...

If its stuck , you can tap it with a piece of wood to open it...once it heats up it should open easily...

Is that what you meant?

Sounds like you are missing the ceramic cap which you use to cover the top vent hole between cooks. The cast iron daisy wheel cap will rust if left outside and isn't as air tight when fully closed so it doesn't snuff out the fire as quickly. You can order a replacement ceramic cap from a BGE dealer or BGE.

For a clean burning fire I open the daisy wheel totally by sliding it out of the way when I cook. Control the air flow with the bottom slide damper.

I saw in a video that the vent should come off when you are not using and replace with a tin lid

Never had an extra top for any of mine...I always closed up the top and bottom vents and go to dinner...Snuffs out the coals fine...If you want to keep water out put a pail over it or cut a soda bottle to fit over the daisy wheel...get a wsm cover and your good to go...My .02

Never had an extra top for any of mine...I always closed up the top and bottom vents and go to dinner...Snuffs out the coals fine...If you want to keep water out put a pail over it or cut a soda bottle to fit over the daisy wheel...get a wsm cover and your good to go...My .02

You must live in a dry part of California where rust isn't an issue? Hard to tell though, you were from "Windy Point" when you posted this comment but have now changed it to "Dog Patch". What gives?

You must live in a dry part of California where rust isn't an issue? Hard to tell though, you were from "Windy Point" when you posted this comment but have now changed it to "Dog Patch". What gives?

I find that my top vent is very well seasoned...Rust on the vent is not really an issue...I live on the coast so its wet all year long from morning fog and clouds...It rains about 7-8 days a year, when it does rain, I can get a little water inside but no biggie...That could be avoided it I had a cover...I think the ceramic top is a non-issue...If it came with one great...I wouldn't buy one...

Side note: I like to move around...

Last edited:
Back