THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TactTm1

Knows what a fatty is.
Long story Short: I plan to use my broken but pieced-together Lg BGE as a charcoal holder, however it does not have a band, spring or lift handle. Any ideas on what I can use to lift the top off the base without a big hassle? :confused:

I am thinking of one of those metal 'x's that hang from a string.

Any help?

Thx,

TT1

WTF??? :confused: I'm not gonna ask you why you're using a broken-but-pieced-together BGE for a charcoal holder - but I am wondering.....

You could drill and mount two lift handles opposite each other and lift the top off rather than hinge it back. Use a ceramic/glass bit and find a couple stainless handles to mount.

Brewer, that might be just the ticket... I didn't even think about being able to drill holes, but with that bit, I should be OK.:idea:

I may have mentioned this quite a long time ago somewhere on the forum, but that BGE was a gift from my late Mother, and when I knocked it over I was emotionally crushed. I canabalized some of the unbroken parts - fire box, plate setter, band and spring and the local dealer gave me a great price on replacing the rest!
Using tips on this board about JB Weld, I have been able to put it togther with most of the cracks facing the back and it looks pretty good. Since I won't be cooking on it and I need a place to store supplies and maybe a bag of lump, I figured why not make a storage bin out of it!

See, it really isn't that too far fetched or crazy after all!

Back