THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

aztecnology

Knows what a fatty is.
I've been looking to get an XL BGE for some time now, and have been searching CL for the better part of a year hoping to find a deal. I've come up empty and was getting ready to start saving to buy a new one this year. Thought I would do a CL search this morning for grins & giggles and lo and behold I found this listing:

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/for/2931819898.html

Gave a call first thing this morning to see if it was available and to see if I could get there today to take a look and hopefully beat the weekend crowd. The seller said it was available and that he wanted $500 for it. I asked about the damage and the accessories, and I said if I could be there within the hour if he would consider $300 cash for everything?? He said he'd been dealing with over 100 calls and that most people flaked out on him. So he said if you'll be here at 9:30am it's yours for $300!

So here's what I got for $300:

XL - base damage
Lid - seems fine
Nest - seems fine
Table wings - needs wood replaced
Ceramic top + Wheel top - wheel needs a little TLC
Platesetter - looks great, just dirty
Baking stone - looks great, just dirty

The base has some significant damage as you can see from my pics. Not just a crack but a broken piece, but from doing some searching I think I might be able to do some repair work with JB Weld and Furnace cement. I won't really know about the band, springs, and hinge until I put it back together. The felt seems ok but I probably should replace it while its opened up.

All things considered I think I got a pretty good deal!

I would really appreciate any tips or how to's on how to get this egg remedied so I can put it to good use!

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 399
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 399
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 402
  • photo 4.jpg
    photo 4.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 395
You might want to shy away from high heat cooking with it busted up like that, but I'd say you did okay if it stays together.

I figure if nothing else I've got my money in plenty of good pieces. I'm going to give it a shot at repair and see where it takes me...

I think I would check on a new base. Depending on the cost of the base, you prolly done ok on the deal.

I like a deal, and I also like a project. But i do not have enough experience to use one like that. Does anyone else think that may be unsafe?

Cracks look bad. JB Weld + green paint might bring this thing back to life. Concern then would be if it holds up to the stress of the lid + strap in that general location.

id say you got a good deal, the nest and plate setter and stone costs just around 300, call BGE or your local dealer and see how much a new base piece would be....or keep searching craigslist till you find one for donor parts.

Could have got a brand new CGK for the same price.

No thanks.

I cut my bbq teeth on a CG and over 10 years I was able to learn a lot but I'm ready to move on. I'm sure the CGK is fine cooker and I see it filling a niche the same way the original CG did.

I've wanted an egg for a long time, and I plan on getting at least 2... :mrgreen:

id say you got a good deal, the nest and plate setter and stone costs just around 300, call BGE or your local dealer and see how much a new base piece would be....or keep searching craigslist till you find one for donor parts.

I called a couple dealers yesterday afternoon, looks like I could get a base out the door for about $500. So at $800 total it's still a really good deal I think...

Get some high temp epoxy and green paint and fix that Egg. Cracks would not worry me at all. Look at the new fire rings BGE is cutting them so they wont crack they dont fall apart and that is the hottest part of the egg. Great deal enjoy your Egg!

Got some high temp ceramic adhesive that was recommended on another forum. Should be here by this weekend.

In the mean time I couldn't wait to use it. Threw on some onions, followed by some flank steak...:mrgreen:

Attachments

• grill.jpg
    grill.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 86
I would agree that you should give the repair a shot before you drop $500 on a base. The firebox is taking the brunt of the heat. I think the main issue would be making it stable enough to carry the weight and pressure of the lid and strap. Do a google search on repair Kamado and I think you'll find a guy who repaired a crack on his Kamado7 and looks like it turned out pretty good. If you can get the crack sealed and stable, you might check with BGE to see if they sell a touch up paint/enamel that matches the color.

I think the main issue would be making it stable enough to carry the weight and pressure of the lid and strap.

This is also my concern...Torque it too tight, you bust the bottom again. Leave it too loose, the top is now busted too. Be careful, and enjoy it.

Back