BGE: Butt - Round 2

OneHump......may I ask what your rub is? Looks great and produces a real nice bark!!
[/SIZE][/FONT]

It's a rub that a friend of mine came up with and is, by far, the absolute best rub that I've ever tasted. I can't share without asking, but I"ll see what he says and PM you if he's OK with it.

Thanks for the kind words and good luck with your butt on Friday; it sounds really good! :thumb:

It's a rub that a friend of mine came up with and is, by far, the absolute best rub that I've ever tasted. I can't share without asking, but I"ll see what he says and PM you if he's OK with it.

You don't have to tell me what's in it, just a container w/o a label is fine :becky:

We sat down at noon to enjoy a very nice lunch. I think this was my best butt ever, though I would have liked a lot more smoke on it. I buried a ton of wood in my lump, but it didn't give me the smoke I was looking for. Still a great result!

IMG_0975.jpg

IMG_0978.jpg

IMG_0983.jpg

I made a very simple and understated coleslaw that complimented the meat very nicely. This is Harry Soo's recipe.
IMG_0984.jpg

Another Harry Soo recipe; some very simple cornbread which ranks among the best that I've had. I did it on the Egg and it came out really nice.
IMG_0971.jpg

Some of you don't like slaw on your sammys. I usually don't do it, but this slaw is very understated and did more to compliment than detract. It was a great addition.
IMG_0986.jpg

IMG_0988.jpg

Finished an amazing lunch and threw on some ribs for dinner.
IMG_0991.jpg

This concludes a very successful cook. Thanks for all of the advice and kind words.

Dave

You know...you can't just say that on any old site and people not have a problem with it :)

I dunno, you could go to another forum and pay $15 for the admins rub that has everyone circle jerking each other over how good it is. I don't think it's very good, and said so, but they ran me off. Just as well; this forum is oodles better.

Let's me talk to my boy and see what he says. :boxing:

I dunno, you could go to another forum and pay $15 for the admins rub that has everyone circle jerking each other over how good it is. I don't think it's very good, and said so, but they ran me off. Just as well; this forum is oodles better.

Let's me talk to my boy and see what he says. :boxing:

LOL...I was talking about you writing, "good luck with your butt on Friday; it sounds really good!"

THAT would be taken wrong in many places :)

LOL...I was talking about you writing, "good luck with your butt on Friday; it sounds really good!"

THAT would be taken wrong in many places :)

Oh, haha! There are so many opportunities to captilize on butt puns. I was going to call my thread "Who wants to see my butt!?!" but that has probably been played out. :doh:

.....why did you leave the mustard off this time?

Sorry, forgot to answer this.

People use mustard so that the rub will stick. It's really not necessary in my opinion. I had been using it because that's what everyone does. I went to Harry Soo's class a couple of weeks ago and asked him if mustard is necessary and he said "no". I'd really not rather add a potential flavor that isn't intended if it's not necessary, even though everyone says you don't taste it.

Rubs are very subjective. The rub I used is a brown sugar based rub with just a little paprika. I injected the butt with 2C of injection. That causes the butt to get all sloppy and wet. I rubbed it down and put it in a big ziplock bag, like a big brining bag. The injection is going to leak all over. When I pull the butt out of the fridge, I rub it again.

I have to agree that the bark on this butt was tremendous. That has more to do with what I learned in Harry's class than the rub I used, though the sugar based rub will certainly lend itself to a better bark I think. Most people would look at that and think "yuk, burnt!", but you all know that's not the case. It was absolute magic.

We sat down at noon to enjoy a very nice lunch. I think this was my best butt ever, though I would have liked a lot more smoke on it. I buried a ton of wood in my lump, but it didn't give me the smoke I was looking for. Still a great result!

I kind of suspect that with an XL, that platesetter is so big that if you only have 1 butt centered over it you don't get that much smoke cause the platesetter blocks so much. I don't really have any proof but I think I get better smoke when my butts are on an elevated grid. Of course, it could be other factors like the type/amount of smoking woods in my cooks causing me to get more smoke. One thing I haven't been documenting in my cooking has been # of chunks and what type and I probably should.

I'd love to see an in-Egg video to see just how that smoke circulates in an XL. Hmmm, now my mind is working... might not go anywhere with this but I am curious.

Back to your pork, it looks great! Nice job. :thumb:

Thanks John. Tim from GreenLeaf said that the Egg is so efficient that it doesn't burn enough fuel to really set wood chunks on fire.

I was using peach and apple for this cook. I just buried a buttload of pecan and apple in my coal for my current rib cook. We'll see how that goes.

If I have to, I'll go 1/2 chunks 1/2 lump, but I have some experimenting to do. :)

I use 6 chunks in my WSM and I find that to be the perfect amount for pork and beef.

I'm curious to know how you like your small compared to your XL. Do you fire up the small if you're doing a couple of steaks? I'm really enjoying the XL, but find it very overbearing for small cooks.

I'd love to see your backyard some day.

Thanks John. Tim from GreenLeaf said that the Egg is so efficient that it doesn't burn enough fuel to really set wood chunks on fire.

I'm a bit confused by this statement & haven't had this discussion with Tim. Do you think he meant that if spread say 6 chunks evenly around your coals for a 4 hour cook that you could come back and find half of them intact? If so, I have found partially burnt chunks but only in areas the lump hadn't ignited yet. Or was he suggesting chips over chunks?

I'm curious to know how you like your small compared to your XL. Do you fire up the small if you're doing a couple of steaks? I'm really enjoying the XL, but find it very overbearing for small cooks.

I'd love to see your backyard some day.

I like both my Small and the XL but they behave quite differently. The XL was my first purchase as a demo egg at this year's Eggs By The Bay Eggfest. At that Eggfest one of the cooks brought his small Egg along and I showed it to my wife who said "It's so cute. Can we get one?" :-D From a practicality standpoint, the small fits our family size better (there's just 2 of us and no kids - unless you count our 4 legged kid/puppy). I thought for sure I'd do a lot more cooking on the small but I probably cook at least 50% of the time on the XL. I tend to cook way more food than we can eat and I share lots with family, friends, and co-workers. I've found myself with this "I have to fill it to get the most out of the load of lump" mentality lately and I need to break out of it as it's not cheap to keep giving food away. Oops, I got off topic. The Small uses a heck of a lot less lump, can adjust temps quicker (particularly downward), and is light enough to take with me to cook elsewhere. It cools down pretty fast (I've cooked a beer can chicken in it and had it cool enough to load into the car in a little over 1 hr). For smoking, the small can't cook nearly as long as the XL on a single load. I know there are some who have loaded it up enough to smoke a butt but I haven't been able to in 2 tries. However, I haven't tried loading it full with Wicked Good yet and think I could get it last long enough if I did. The grill is only 13" in diameter so there's some obvious limitations like no packer briskets or other large or long cuts of meat.

As to your question about firing up the small to grill a couple of steaks, yes, I have been doing that. Another alternative I have is to use the lump reducing ring I have to corral the lump into a 14" diameter which is about the size of a medium Egg. Admittedly, I haven't tried it yet! I need to add that to my list of things to try out.

In regards to my backyard, the part that matters is in my avatar. Here's the large view of it:

R2-Egg2Q.jpg

The small Egg sits in my garage when it isn't in use since it only weighs 65 lbs and I'd hate to come home one day and find out someone hopped my fence and carried it off. My Imperial Kamado is missing from this pic but I haven't had the time to start restoring it yet. R2D2 sits inside unless we have need of a cooler. The rest of my backyard is mostly dirt/mud and in need of landscaping.

This is influencing our decision on how we'll be landscaping the yard:
DSCN3916.jpg

Oops, off topic again! :roll:

Maybe you do this already but when I do a long cook I light my egg at 12, 4 and 8. I do this to make sure the fire doesn't burn directly down and is more even. Not sure if a draft control would burn straight down but...

Back