Best "Wet" Ribs

Bush438

Knows what a fatty is.
So I had a great cook on my MAK 1* this weekend. I did some baby back ribs with Killers Hogs The BBQ rub and Meat Church Holy Voodoo rub on each rack. I then finished off with some KC Masterpiece BBQ sauce. They came out great and the family said they were really good.

I myself am more of a dry rub kind of guy but I do like sauces that are not too sweet. I also like vinegar based sauces.

My question is this, do any of you have any suggestions on how to basically just get ribs wet without an overbearing sauce. I see YouTube and how some guys spray with apple juice but wouldn't that just make them sweeter? Do you have any store bought suggestions or DIY recipes so that I can get a wet rib but not necessarily a sweet rib? I'm basically looking to get as much taste possible from the rub. Does that make sense?

spicy-patriot-sauce-base__76157.1614279962.jpg

This one keeps winning awards for hot tomato sauces. STL-style sauce "Maull's" is the oldest BBQ sauce in America, think vinegary unsweetened ketchup. Country Bob's is very similar, but known to be a bit higher quality.

Do you wrap them at all? That will definitely add some wetness, and simply adding some cayenne/more spice might fit your bill. Personally I like using a little of some kinda sweet fruit jelly/jam/preserves, some fake butter, and some heat whether hot sauces or powdered chiles. It'll create a little glaze, as will adding a little bit of BBQ sauce.

spicy-patriot-sauce-base__76157.1614279962.jpg

This one keeps winning awards for hot tomato sauces. STL-style sauce "Maull's" is the oldest BBQ sauce in America, think vinegary unsweetened ketchup. Country Bob's is very similar, but known to be a bit higher quality.

Do you wrap them at all? That will definitely add some wetness, and simply adding some cayenne/more spice might fit your bill. Personally I like using a little of some kinda sweet fruit jelly/jam/preserves, some fake butter, and some heat whether hot sauces or powdered chiles. It'll create a little glaze, as will adding a little bit of BBQ sauce.

Thanks. I don’t wrap but I think that’s what I’ll try next time. The fake butter sounds like it might do the trick. Based on the 3-2-1 method it looks like butter, honey and brown sugar are added but that would just be overkill for me. I’ll have to check out some of those sauces you mentioned.

This recipe was given out by Tootsie from Snow's Barbecue in Texas. I haven't tried it yet, but it's on my list of things to try next. It says pork steaks in the recipe, but I believe they use the same mop for ribs too.

Tootsie’s Mop Sauce
1 gallon water
2 medium white onions, peeled and quartered
1 stick butter
1 cup white vinegar
1/2 cup Worcestershire
2 tablespoons dry mustard

Boil water and add quartered onions. Continue to boil for at least ten minutes. Add butter and stir until melted. Take water off heat and add all other ingredients. Mix thoroughly. Keep on stovetop at a low simmer or move it to the pit to keep it warm.

Mop the pork steaks liberally four or five times during the cook. Once the meat becomes tender and the fat begins to crisp on the edges, take it off the pit. This cut doesn’t have to be falling apart to be done. Let it rest for 30 minutes, then slice against the grain and serve.

When saucing ribs I like to pick a sauce that isn't sweet. Then I thin it at least 50/50 with liquid. Usually beer but have some times used my hot vinegar.

Several layers of thin glaze are better than a single layer of sticky sweet sauce.

When saucing ribs I like to pick a sauce that isn't sweet. Then I thin it at least 50/50 with liquid. Usually beer but have some times used my hot vinegar.

Several layers of thin glaze are better than a single layer of sticky sweet sauce.

I've been making hot malt vinegar lately myself.

[p.s. That Maull's and Country Bob's I mentioned are virtually always thinned with beer]

I don't wrap and prefer dry rubs as well, but guests like sauce so I reluctantly oblige every now and then. Tennessee Red is good, Yes Dear Red Sauce & Competition Sauce are both good. Or the ever popular Shack Attack, a Brethren favorite.

I like Gates and sons BBQ sauce...kinda tangy and peppery. If its not on your store shelves here is a copycat recipe.

https://www.food.com/recipe/gates-sons-kc-bbq-sauce-16745

My wife is more of a sweet baby rays...but too sweet for me...so Gates is our compromise more tangy than sweet.

KC masterpiece is what people refer to as KC style sauce..but it is sweet. BTW most original KC bbq joints were tangy and peppery.

Must've been a long day because I forgot to mention, these are a couple of my most used-
s-l400.jpg

Habanero in that (hence the bee for the "sting"), and while I don't usually wrap with sauce, have never used this stuff and regretted it.

southern-style-sauce-new-500x500.jpg

You'll have to order this stuff, but it's worth it. Very smoky, a little spicy like a thick TN red. Good for dipping finished BBQ, thinned a lot with vinegar/beer, or if you ever are craving BBQ and stuck cooking indoors.

I only do spares these days, but I use baste with Boshizzle's Shak Attack vinegar sauce, like 2x. IF I foil, then I add more (sometimes cut with pickle juice or apple juice). IF i glaze, it is with Blues Hog TN Red. To me the key is Shak early and late and to make sure I don't buy pre-injected ribs.

I like my ribs with rub only most of the time, but lately I have been enjoying a light brush of Yes Dear Competition Sauce. It's thin so it goes on and sets nice.

Thanks all. Some really good suggestions on here. The Tennessee Red seems to get a few mentions. I think my local Ace carries it. I also saw this Memphis style mop that Malcolm Reed does:

After 1 ½ hrs mop the Memphis Style Dry Ribs with a mixture of:

Thanks all. Some really good suggestions on here. The Tennessee Red seems to get a few mentions. I think my local Ace carries it. I also saw this Memphis style mop that Malcolm Reed does:

Tennessee Red is a vinegar heavy type sauce. I love it as I love vinegar.

Seriously try the Yes, Dear Competition sauce. You will not be disappointed.

I buy it by the jug!

https://www.atlantabbqstore.com/col...ducts/yes-dear-competition-sauce-64-oz-bottle

Btw, Malcolm Reid is one of the best dudes, ever.

You will never go wrong using anything he does. He is legit X1000.

Back