Best smoker for the money?

Ok...I am also in the market for a new smoker. I currently have an offset stick burner made by Murphy Custom Pits in Kyle, TX. This pit has served me well but looking to upgrade...I have my eye on a new smoker by David Klose and have been working on putting the money together in order to get one. I have done some research regarding offset stick burners and would like to get some feedback regarding Gator and Jambo Pits. Also if you have a Klose pit I would like your feedback as well. I have met David and everyone at the shop and they are AMAZING individuals. Just wanted to see what's the difference between what I consider the top three stick burner fabricators.

Ok...I am also in the market for a new smoker. I currently have an offset stick burner made by Murphy Custom Pits in Kyle, TX. This pit has served me well but looking to upgrade...I have my eye on a new smoker by David Klose and have been working on putting the money together in order to get one. I have done some research regarding offset stick burners and would like to get some feedback regarding Gator and Jambo Pits. Also if you have a Klose pit I would like your feedback as well. I have met David and everyone at the shop and they are AMAZING individuals. Just wanted to see what's the difference between what I consider the top three stick burner fabricators.

You can't go wrong with a Klose. Great smokers and built to last a lifetime. I should know, I have the MOAB and it will have to last a lifetime. Mine has to. If not, the wife will kill me, therefore, a lifetime. :wink:

BOT: Tough call as to the best for the $$ Lots of variables to consider. Bottom line is to pick one of good quality that will do what it is supposed to do, and more importantly, do for you what you need it to do.

For $1,000, I would buy two WSMs, an 18" and a 22.5". I like the 18 for efficiency, and the 22.5" for ribs. If you play your cards right, you could get two 18s for the big meats, and a 22.5" for ribs in the morning, and still be under $1,000.

I love the BWS line, but I would not try and do a comp on a single chubby. On one of the bigger ones, sure, but not on the base Chubby.

Not sure I would call the WSM sheet metal "cheap". Thinner than a quality offset? Yes. But with the porcelain coating it will last a very long time. I consider cheap sheet metal to be a $20 grill from K-Mart that won't last more than a season or two.

even if you buy something, no matter what it is, it wont be what you will end up with. when buying my first pit, i found this guy that gave me the best advice.. go less expensive and then learn to use it. in a year, someone one here or CL will take it off your hands. took me 4 years to finally upgrade mine.. rolling into the BWS land with a G2 Party and Chubby. will easily handle KCBS loads etc. that said, i'll still have just under $5k of smokers shipped and guru'd. but i've been a good boy, so the wife isn't giving me too much crap.. build a couple UDS's.. want something simular but not as ugly, WSM's... hell, build two UDS's, and toss $800 in the "next pit" fund...

Back