Best rub for ribs?

I haven't tried Simply Marvelous or Yardbird, but I've had good results with Big Bob Gibsons with their red sauce as a glaze or John Henry's Pecan with Sweet Baby Rays.

Oh yeah I forgot to put my rub choice! Its a light sprinkling of Tony Chachere's, covered with K.C. Rib Doctor. The Tony's gives the Rib Doctor a little more salt and heat which I like.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

I'm still experimenting, but the last three times I've made ribs, I've had to make the at least two ways. The first rack is a homemade rub from Gary Wivott's Low & Slow book with NO sugar and mostly paprika, salt, black pepper, and a little cayenne. That rack is for me and my buddy and typically gets served up without sauce. The second rack usually gets SM Cherry and then Blues Hog sauce. My wife, my buddy's wife and there kids love them. The kids especially, they scream for the "Cheeeerrrrry ribs." I'm starting to suspect that there is something about that cherry rub that BigBrother isn't telling us about. :wink:

Everyone likes something different. I got a shelf full of rubs and sauces. I'm thinking it is going to take me a lifetime of cooking ribs once a month to find that perfect combination. :sad:

I'm still experimenting, but the last three times I've made ribs, I've had to make the at least two ways. The first rack is a homemade rub from Gary Wivott's Low & Slow book with NO sugar and mostly paprika, salt, black pepper, and a little cayenne. That rack is for me and my buddy and typically gets served up without sauce. The second rack usually gets SM Cherry and then Blues Hog sauce. My wife, my buddy's wife and there kids love them. The kids especially, they scream for the "Cheeeerrrrry ribs." I'm starting to suspect that there is something about that cherry rub that BigBrother isn't telling us about. :wink:

Everyone likes something different. I got a shelf full of rubs and sauces. I'm thinking it is going to take me a lifetime of cooking ribs once a month to find that perfect combination. :sad:

And your quest begins!

BTW: I am not telling you what I put in the Cherry Rub that is so addicting :tape::becky:

I use my own rub .I try to layer flavors during the Q process and my rub and sauce do that . Each part has elements of the other to help in the layering.

Im no bbq expert by any accounts. Usually when me and some friends smoke ribs we have our own contest to see whos is best.

Last time it was a mix of Tonys, cavenders, garlic powder, and sugar. I wet the rub down with a little bit of lea and perrins to hold it in place. I used head and country sauce for the last 30 mins and mine was the favorite. The sauce was a little sweet with the sugar in my rub. I think I need a different sauce for my taste. Either heat or vinager, not sure. Its a good excuse to smoke some more ribs though:thumb:

For me, it's the Spicewine rubs, both the Hog and Hen dust, and the Heifer dust. They seem to be a brown sugar based rub that gives the sweetness I like. I think the Heifer dust adds worschestire and I prefer the Hog&Hen dust on everything. If I put it on heavy the night before, it almost creates a glaze effect, no sauce needed.

Steph just hooked me up, take your pick!

5471465406_14f7f1a4b9_z.jpg

Back