Best buy date on sausage.

What to do with out of date sausage

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

NCGrimbo

is Blowin Smoke!

Batch Image
So I did a to go order yesterday from my local Food Lion grocery store to get some basics and to try the new Johnsonville Sausage Strips. Food Lion is the only store that currently sells them in my area. When I got home and was putting them in the fridge I noticed that the Best By date was 10/13/21. Since last night was 10/27/21, I was concerned about whether these sausages were still OK to eat. Normally, I would take them back, but Food Lion is out of my way and I wouldn't be able to get by there until Saturday or Sunday at the earliest. The cost of the 2 packs was $10 total. Gas to get to Food Lion this weekend would be close to $5 since it would take me 1 gallon to travel there and back.

So, I've put up a poll. Trash them, Return them, or Eat them tonight. Let me know what you think.

Vacuum Packed.....so long as the vacuum was intact, I'd eat or freeze them. Open a pack, if they smell OK, enjoy.

I’ve had those, I believe they’re precooked and cured. If they smelled fine I’d probably eat them but I’d also forgo an extra $10 in my pocket to avoid food poisoning.

Last edited:
Call them and explain they picked meat that was 14 days out of date and ask for a rain check of sorts that you an pick up at the service counter the next time you visit the store.

I've watched pickers at a couple of local markets and they are very conscious, especially with fruits and veggies, I'm surprised an old date slipped by them.

Those are a precooked and cured product, but I still think I would call the store manager and try to get them to deliver some new product or refund your money. I'm not sure I would chance eating them. They may smell OK but not worth trying to save $10 if you get food poisoning. JMHO
JWWFM-YMMV

It sucks when that happens.
I've picked up past date foods and now I always, well almost always :oops:, check the dates.

The sausage is fine I'm sure.
But I would be on the phone with the manager and have them send a replacement to you ASAP. Or at least a refund.
They need to know that they are selling stuff out of date. Two weeks past the date tells me to buy my food elsewhere.

This. They need to not be selling items that are two weeks past the marked date. They probably won't hurt you but that's not the real issue IMO.

Besides the fact that it was two weeks past, those dates are usually pretty far out. That stuff's likely been on the shelf a long, long time.

I personally wouldn't worry about it, provided they smelled/looked okay (not slimy, etc).

But I'd be tempted to call and ask, but I probably wouldn't. Mainly because I'm kinda lazy and non-confrontational.

You gotta factor in what your time is worth too. I wouldn't go out of my way to return them but I would wait until I need some groceries and make a shopping trip out of it and return them at that time. The receipt proves you bought them after expiry, so I wouldn't think waiting a few days or even weeks would matter that much.

I don't think he has to actually return them. Just call customer service. they'll refund it to your card.

I've had the 1lb. fatty chubs that I forgot about in the fridge for quite a long time. Slice open, if it smells fine, cook em up.

So I did a to go order yesterday from my local Food Lion grocery store to get some basics and to try the new Johnsonville Sausage Strips. Food Lion is the only store that currently sells them in my area. When I got home and was putting them in the fridge I noticed that the Best By date was 10/13/21. Since last night was 10/27/21, I was concerned about whether these sausages were still OK to eat. Normally, I would take them back, but Food Lion is out of my way and I wouldn't be able to get by there until Saturday or Sunday at the earliest. The cost of the 2 packs was $10 total. Gas to get to Food Lion this weekend would be close to $5 since it would take me 1 gallon to travel there and back.

So, I've put up a poll. Trash them, Return them, or Eat them tonight. Let me know what you think.[/QUOTE

You stated the package says “Best by”, that is not an expiration date. They may not be as good, but they will be fine for consumption.

I think the "Sell By" date is just on more way to get you to spend more. "Use By" date would be much more helpful.

I'd call them and let them know, like 3rdI and others said.

But I would cook them up and feed them to the dog, or in your case, to the bees

I would definitely freeze them, hang on to the receipt and return them at my earliest convenience. I have often found things out of date by only a day or two at my local store, but the point is that date is on there for a reason and the stores should abide by it, and I am not spending my hard-earned money on any product is beyond the 'best by' date.

Odd coincidence, my wife and I were discussing food poisoning last night as I was handling 4 racks of ribs coming off the smoker. Neither she nor I believe we are particularly "pure" in our food handling, certainly not what the commercial licensing codes would want. (Nor are we deliberate risk taker with handling and storage) But the fact is that we have never experienced food poisoning in our home nor have we ever heard of it among our friends.

Does this prove anything for anyone else? No. (I'd eat the outdated sausage, particularly if it was cured.)

Back