THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

aerotech11

is one Smokin' Farker
Name or Nickame
Ric
The answer is probably on here somewhere in an older thread but I have to ask all the pro's on here what is the best brisket rub? I understand I will probably get a bunch of different answers but that is OK too. I am up for trying a few different kinds.. Lately I have been making my own and even tried just plain old salt and pepper. Texas style. Any input or ideas of a great commercial rub would be appreciated.

My go to's, depending on the "style" of brisket I'm cooking

Cooper's Old Time Seasoning (primarily large granule salt and pepper)
Kosher salt and coarse black pepper
Plowboy's Bovine Bold
EAT Barbecue Most Powerful stuff
Oakridge Black Ops (just used it for the first time recently, but it was very good)

For competition and/or Kansas City style brisket I'll usually use Plowboy's or EAT Barbecue, but I like the simplicity in flavor that the salt + pepper based recipes offer too.

There's a lot of different rubs that go well with brisket. Holy Cow from Meat Church, EAT bbq most powerful stuff, black ops, and competition beef and pork also by Oakridge are very good. Plowboys Bovine bold.. Montreal steak from your local grocery store is good too.

I found this on here somewhere and tried it. Makes a really killer bark on a brisket. Also great for chicken!

Measure by weight -
Dirty Dalmatian -
2 pt restaurant grind (16 mesh) black pepper
2 pt Kosher Salt
1 pt Lemon Pepper
1 pt Granulated Garlic

This one is the basic recipe of Salt lick rub, from the Texas BBQ joint. Makes a great brisket, but its also the best steak seasoning I've ever used. It does have a kick on a steak, but the cayenne mellows on a brisket. Use the finest grind you can for these ingredients. It should make you sneeze a little ;) This one is volume not weight.

1 tablespoon salt (table salt is fine)
1 tablespoon fine ground Black Pepper
2 teaspoon cayenne
2 teaspoon garlic powder

I havent tried any commercial rubs on brisket. I have had good luck with variations of the the Big Bad Beef rub found on the amazing ribs site, and salting separately. Following it to the letter is a bit too peppery for my taster.

Having recently tasted a brisket that was done with S&P, I thought it was bland as wet cardboard. I guess I like the other end of the spectrum, and like a more complex rub. I use Smokin Guns Hot. I love the taste and the smell that it gives the brisket. I wish they made a Guns Hot air freshner.

For all beef.
(all measurements by weight)
2 parts Kosher salt
3 parts medium grind black pepper
1/4 part each, granulated garlic and granulated onion
I frequently back the salt off to 1 1/2 part.

Big fan of Cash Cow/Peppered Cow combo and latest my favorite has been Kosmos Cow Cover.

For beef I am fond of SPOG I use the following:
2oz kosher salt
2oz course ground black pepper
1oz course garlic
1oz course onion
1oz ground chipotle chili powder (when I am looking for a bit of heat)

Back