Roll Call. Inside 30 days. Berks BBQ Bash, Leesport, PA, 7/18-7/19, 2008

Congratulations Tom and Michelle. i am nearly more impressed with the 1st place chicken than the 4th overall -- but not really. :mrgreen: Great job.

Nice job to all the cooks. You guys did a great job on the potluck. What GREAT food. Thanks for sharing.

And maybe it wasn't as hot as Yardly for the cooks, but the turnin table hit 140 at 1:32 PM never seen it that hot before anywhere. Yardly was 122 and Landover 121.

Nice job to all the cooks. You guys did a great job on the potluck. What GREAT food. Thanks for sharing.

And maybe it wasn't as hot as Yardly for the cooks, but the turnin table hit 140 at 1:32 PM never seen it that hot before anywhere. Yardly was 122 and Landover 121.

Wow that is not comfortable at all. I don't think I could have handled that but guess there was not much of a choice.

Congrats to all who walked. Willard and I had a blast. Sal's brother Ed and his sweetheart Wanda were kind enough to bring a trailer with AC. I enjoyed chatting with everybody in the wee hours. We look forward to seeing everyone again in Freehold and New Holland.

BTW, does anyone know what the prize money was for first place -- We could barely hear a bloody thing! LOL

Lisa
Jumping Dog BBQ, sometimes cooking with Jumping Gnomes BBQ

Congrats to all who walked. Willard and I had a blast. Sal's brother Ed and his sweetheart Wanda were kind enough to bring a trailer with AC. I enjoyed chatting with everybody in the wee hours. We look forward to seeing everyone again in Freehold and New Holland.

BTW, does anyone know what the prize money was for first place -- We could barely hear a bloody thing! LOL

Lisa
Jumping Dog BBQ, sometimes cooking with Jumping Gnomes BBQ
Grand Champion took 800 bucks, plus a hd radio

I enjoyed my visit to PA, and the BBQ Bash event. It was nice to meet and talk to some of the brethren that were competing - from my vantage point it looked like you all did a great job - and in that farkin' heat! :eek:

Congrats to all who walked, and thanks to those of you that took some time from your cleanup, as tired and hot as you must have been, to shoot the bull with me for a few minutes.

Steve, it was nice to meet ya. Hard to believe it was hotter in Pa than Fla last weekend. At least we didn't get the daily 3pm rain here :-D

I gotta say, althou berk's was a very well run event,, it had to be my most disappointing event. We were real happy with our turn ins, and our score definately did not reflect that. I'm not gonna complain and blame the judges saying I got low balled or anything, but I sure wish the kcbs would work alittle harder on incorporating the comment cards so we could at least have some idea on where we went wrong. With as hot as it was saturday at berks, I'm appreciative that we had all cbj's (at least that is what I heard) I just don't think it would be that hard to have the comment cards, But for now, all I can do is suck it up, move on, and prepare for New Holland and try and figure out where I went wrong.

I have to agree. Even though we did our best to date at Berks, I thought we would have done a lot better than we actually did. I would like to see comment cards too.

Thanks for the info, guys. I'm still waiting for the call from Nassau Broadcasting looking for my social before they cut the check.

As to judging, there were in fact all CBJ's at this one although I'm not sure how experienced they all were. A friend of mine who table captained did say that the scores were low and an 8 was a GREAT score. I was surprised that there were no comment cards since Linda M. was there and last year that was her pet project.

I did an event last year where there were comment cards but only got 2 for chicken. Apparently, they were optional and consequently no one filled them out! Maybe if they were multiple guess ... :rolleyes:

Lisa
Jumping Dog BBQ

I worked check-in for the judges and I can assure you that they were all certified and that there were few, if any newbies. My table received some remarkably consistent average to a bit above average product across all categories. Our table captain reviewed our scorecards after each category and assured us that our scoring as a table was quite consistent.

I think that maybe the cooks are trying so hard to find a middle ground so as not to displease a few picky judges that they are turning in some pretty bland and uninspiring entries. We had at least two pork and one brisket entry that looked decent, was reasonably tender but had almost no flavor whatsoever. Come on guys and gals, lets see some que that gets up off it's feet and makes us say.........WOW!

I think comment cards are a good idea. You can lookk at a numerical score, but a written comment gives a better description of your food

in wildwood the organizers were asked about comment cards and we were told that the people here in the mid atlantic and pretty much everywhere else in the country love them, but the cooks in the south think they are crap, and with the south being such a big part of KCBS, they win for now.

I made someone say WOW, with 9's across the board for pork. His neighbor gave me 8's across the board. Next one gave me a 7-4-4. Strangely, that same low-scoring judge scored my crappy brisket much higher than the other judges, with an 9-8-8.
I think comment cards are a must, as I sometimes (frequently) can't understand the rationale behind this.

I made someone say WOW, with 9's across the board for pork. His neighbor gave me 8's across the board. Next one gave me a 7-4-4. Strangely, that same low-scoring judge scored my crappy brisket much higher than the other judges, with an 9-8-8.
I think comment cards are a must, as I sometimes (frequently) can't understand the rationale behind this.
you gonna go next year? I hear you truck looked nice. Do you know how to make a cherry bomb??I really think red makes me look bigger..will you be my friend? I think you are really keen.. Do you like hamburgers with cheese? I like them too!!its not hot out today. Are you gonna do Berks next year? I hear its nice..:icon_devil

you gonna go next year? I hear you truck looked nice. Do you know how to make a cherry bomb??I really think red makes me look bigger..will you be my friend? I think you are really keen.. Do you like hamburgers with cheese? I like them too!!its not hot out today. Are you gonna do Berks next year? I hear its nice..:icon_devil

ROLL CALL!!! anybody doing berks next year? I hear its nice. I like the mango ice!:icon_devil. I buy my underwear at K-Mart!!:eek:

Back