Beginning of the end?

So, how many national BBQ sanctioning bodies are there now? It seems like there is a lot of dissension amongst the KCBS members, which I find hard to believe (I am being serious).

We have a local contest here that was in the same situation -- paperwork was going to be late because the organizers did not want to jump before the sponsors, who don't give a damn about KCBS's rules, had their money locked down. The same channels of communication were used -- notice to KCBS board members, who allegedly made encouraging noises about sanctioning being approved.

The contest's sanctioning was shot down for late paperwork.

Why should Ronnie Cates be any different? Because he has more money?

Didn't say Ronnie should be different... but I think both issues are bad for business. KCBS made new rules about the prize money... so that has caused organizers to have to lock in funds earlier, or not start sanctioning as early.... so rather than work with the organizers. KCBS is choosing to try to penalize them... That will drive someone to come in and fill the void. There will be competition in the sanctioning world, and competition will likely be the best thing for the cooks. As far as Ronnie goes.... he runs solid events, and brings alot to the table. 8 events this year alone... including ties to NASCAR etc, that could bring alot of great visability to KCBS. In addition, he isnt some new organizer... he has sunk alot of money into KCBS sanctioning for alot of past events. I would think the RELATIONSHIP built, should be able to afford him a couple days. With the type of sponsors he is bringing to comp BBQ, and the number events and venues he brings.... I dont see how anyone can think it is agood thing to keep him from sanctioning events for KCBS. I don't know about the organizer or event you mentioned... if it is a new event -- or one that has been around for 15 years. But I would say the same things about it... If they have worked with KCBS over the years, I would think that the relationship built would afford them to work together.

I can't help but think these events are going to happen if KCBS is there or not...

Last month was my first experience with the KCBS BoD, nice people, but they need someone that knows how a BOD works. Way to loose for an organization with that many members and that much responsibility in my opinion. An organization that appears to have it's ivory towers of leaders as well as no real vision for the future. If they don't plan they will sit with heads in hands and wonder where they have gone wrong.

All it takes is a willingness to admit they need the help and then find the right person/people to help. There are lot of people/organization geared at teaching an organization how to be an organization, not taking power away, but rather helping those in leadership do a better job. It is not intuitive and when the money starts getting big it is not tolerable. Just my two cents. Scott

Wow the KCBS F'ing something up I am shocked! This is getting old hearing all the members asking for there voices to be heard and nothing happening! WOW! Getting old really old! Come on KCBS!

In reading the posts over at BBQ Forum, to me it sounds like the split was inevitable. If Ron had that much of a plan ready, rules laid out, scoring system, etc. and is ready to announce by the end of the week, maybe the BoD knew this was eventually coming (I don't believe it, but we'll read the minutes). I agree the deadline should be extended, but also look at the other side of the coin, is Ron using this as a lightening rod issue to split people off to make his more successful? If so, and it wouldn't surprise me, its a sly but shady move.

Ultimately the BoD is going to have to change, become more business focused, and figure out a way to truly run an organization. Until they do, they're going to flounder really moving the organization forward.

Seems like this break up has been coming for some time now, giving the event a pass on the 90 day rule would probably just be delaying the inevitable.

Will Little Rock be KCBS sanctioned? No way am I dropping a $500 entry fee + travel to trial a new system.

Chris - you are right about that, that is a lot of money to waste, I already dropped 620 on the entry based on it being KCBS, if not I hope I can get my money back.

According to the KCBS webpage Little Rock is already sanctioned, it is on the events page at least.

Latest posts on another Forum indicate it will stay KCBS. Ron indicated he would probably roll out the new sanctioning body details at NLR. He's not ready yet and he will need to let cooks know and give them the option if it isn't KCBS. Just not enough time.

If Ron had that much of a plan ready, rules laid out, scoring system, etc. and is ready to announce by the end of the week, maybe the BoD knew this was eventually coming (I don't believe it, but we'll read the minutes).

Ron Cates had publicly announced his intention to form his own sanctioning group if KCBS did not give in to his demands months ago . As one of just a handful of true Promoters, he felt that KCBS was not responsive to the wants of people like himself who produce BBQ Contests for their own profit. (As opposed to Organizers who put on events to benefit charities)

So yes, the BoD had advance notice of what Mr. Cates was up to. It's too bad some sort of compromise couldn't be worked out that would satisfy this new breed of Promoters without alienating the Organizers who have fueled the growth of KCBS since the beginning. Certainly it's a tough job for the Board to figure out how to balance Promoter with a very small number (9) of high paying events with Organizers producing hundreds of lower paying events.

Other Sanctioning bodies

I know that the PNWBA would love to have events like Mr. Cates puts on. Last year we did 33 events and we plan to have even more this year.

Christene

Last edited by a moderator:
Poker.

I've always thought that the parallels between BBQ and poker were significant. Both are pastimes loved by MILLIONs upon MILLIONS of Americans, in their home and also in public venues. Both are intrinsicly "American". Both have small subsets of "professionals" that play the game for "money". Both have unclear rules or multiple sanctioning bodies that enforce rules at different "tournamounts" during the year. Both are open to anyone willing to plunk down the cash, except for a few Invitationals where the cream of the crop are invited.

Both have also experienced explosive growth, while having some real growing pains. So, it is with some irony that I recall, about 4 or 5 years ago when Harrahs bought the rights to the biggest name in Poker (the World Series of Poker- aka "WSOP") they appointed a new position to solely oversee that brand and tournamount, market it, care for it, and grow it. They appointed a strong willed leader, who marched to the orders of the corporation, but ultimately was also seen as a big advocate for the players, because he knew that they were the reason the WSOP existed. That man recently left his job at the WSOP, and almost everyone agrees that poker and the WSOP is better off now after a few years of his aggresive leadership.

His name was Jeffry Pollack, which isn't that interesting, except when you consider that prior to taking over the largest poker name in the world, he was Managing Director of Broadcasting and New Media for NASCAR. This guy didn't really know much (anything) about poker or NASCAR, but he knew how to market and he was a dynamic, singular leader.

This is just a long way to express wonderment at whether KCBS would serve to appoint (correction, HIRE) a dynamic forward thinking individual to help guide what appears to be a board that is listing in the sea some times.

EDIT: I almost forgot, they both have "Bad Boy" top notch competitors that wear all black and have 'foul mouths'. ;)

Last edited:
Back