Beer Brats

Bill and I were on the plane to Phil's for bash 3. He said "usually I'm the first one there, this time I'll be the last".

This was about the time there were a couple of threads going on here about mustard rubs.

I said " I just hope we get there before they slather mustard all over everything".

Now I like Mustard but by it's self and not in a sauce. Were is that kid with my lunch I bet he is spitting in it again.

Trout

I find no need to slather anything.

From what you guys have said, you'll slather it down to hold on to the rub (or something like that)

I never understood this, because I never had a problem with rub "sticking" to the meat.

I never understood this, because I never had a problem with rub "sticking" to the meat.
On briskets in particular, Paul Kirk recommends you don't actually rub the rub, but just sprinkle. When following this recommendation some sort of wetting agent helps. I've found the mustard method to be quite effective and never even a hint of mustard flavor even on baby backs that take only 4-5 hrs. I actually think somehow the mustard helps force the rub into the meat. When I use it there is less rub left on the surface of the meat and more of the rub flavor in the meat.
Next time you do ribs try a rack with the nasty yellow stuff, I think you'll be impressed.

I'm going to try it this weekend, but using Davids Habanero Jelly instead.

hey.. not to interupt.. but I'll add my brat technique...

Double line the waterpan with some heavy duty foil. Fill the waterpan with beer and onions.. lots of onions, a few cloves of garlic some shots of worsey sauce, and if ya want add some Franks red hot. Cook the brats in there till their ready. When your ready for a brat, take it out and put it on the bottom shelf close to the heat... REAL GENTLE.. dont puncture it. Or you can just grill it in the firebox fdor a few seconds. Keep the others soakin till its time for the next one.. :)

Put the brat on a bun they lay a load of them onions from the waterpan on top. Some of that soup goes in the dish.. and with a laddle some more of that soup and onions from the waterpan can go in a bowl. AWESOME SMOKED ONION soup. !!! if your a pansey, you can strain some of the fat off first. I spoon it over garlic bread and add the brats right on top.

Back on track......the subject of beer brats. Because they do tend to dry out too much when cooked solely in the Bandera, it's best to boil them first in beer and onions, like was previously discussed, then finish them in the Bandera for an hour or so. Throw the onions in a pan while your're at it to concentrate the flavor, add some smoke and keep them warm.

brdbbq said:
Aunt Flo must be visiting Mark ?

No more than usual. And no less Midol.

When I posted, it was right after the mustard slather rant. Now I see other posts in between. Timewarp mod.

Phil's techniques sounds good but my water pan would gag a maggot on a gut wagon.

Never thought of putting pepper jelly on early that way, may have to try that. Love brushing jap jelly on ribs 4 or 5 times the last hour. The jap jelly I have ends up like a chinese "princess" sauce on the ribs, sweet and hot, yummmmm!

kcquer said:
Never thought of putting pepper jelly on early that way, may have to try that. Love brushing jap jelly on ribs 4 or 5 times the last hour. The jap jelly I have ends up like a chinese "princess" sauce on the ribs, sweet and hot, yummmmm!

I would think the jap jelly would be better served as a finishing agent, and not as a rub bonding agent. I want to see pictures of the "before and after" on this one!

Mark said:
brdbbq said:
Aunt Flo must be visiting Mark ?

No more than usual. And no less Midol.

When I posted, it was right after the mustard slather rant. Now I see other posts in between. Timewarp mod.

Phil's techniques sounds good but my water pan would gag a maggot on a gut wagon.

oh... i forgot.. i will go edit the post... I ALWAYS line the waterpan with a double layer of heavy duty foil when im gonna be cooking in it.

BTW.... if ya turn the water pan upside down over the coals when you got some grilling goin on.. let it burn for a while and the stuff just flakes off.

Solidkick said:
kcquer said:

I would think the jap jelly would be better served as a finishing agent, and not as a rub bonding agent. I want to see pictures of the "before and after" on this one!

the key in early/jelly sauce application is to start out away from the heat (top of the dera, or side away from firebox in horizontals.

You dont want to burn the sugars early.

You'll end up with a great bark because of the sugar content, but if you go to high to early, you get burnt sauce taste (like Phils yard smelled after cooking all those pineapple slices with the brown sugar. Hey Greg, we forgot pineapple slices done your way, or did you guys do that Friday?)

Where're all you South Carolina Boys ???

Musterd is a main ingredent in their sauce for Que and its good on a plain old bun with some sandwich slaw on top.

GOOD FIXIN'S

Rusty

Musterd is a main ingredent in their sauce for Que and its good on a plain old bun with some sandwich slaw on top

Mmmm yep mustard and onion mmmm uh huh mustard and biscuit

Bill Bob Mod

Rusty said:
Where're all you South Carolina Boys ???

Musterd is a main ingredent in their sauce for Que and its good on a plain old bun with some sandwich slaw on top.

GOOD FIXIN'S

Rusty

Come to speak of it, I havent seen Harry Cabo on in weeks.

Lets not forget they also like sucking on pure vinegar with their pulled pork.

Tastes like toilet cleaner smells

Back