Funky beef smell

rockyathabaska

Knows what a fatty is.
Hi Bros, I’ve pulled out a beef chuck roast that I’ve been aging for 2 months in my fridge.
When I opened it is has a funky smell, not overpowering and nothing growing on it but there is that smell.
Any way I can tell if it’s safe?
Not worried about me but my friends are my concern.
Thanks in advance, Rocky

Cryo packed I assume?

If so take the roast out of the package and leave on a platter, on the countertop for a bit, then go back and give it a sniff.

99 times out of 100 when ya go back, there’s nothing.

Did you get the pack date when you bought it? And how cold is the fridge that it's in? Knowing the pack date is the easiest way to tell exactly how much age it had on it when you bought it, then you just calculate how many more days you need to add.

I'd rinse it under cold water to get off the blood and bone fragments and let it air out 15 minutes (as already stated). I usually think the ground beef is bad when I buy the tubes'o'beef - but it's just cryo smell and goes away pretty quickly.

Cryo packed I assume?

If so take the roast out of the package and leave on a platter, on the countertop for a bit, then go back and give it a sniff.

99 times out of 100 when ya go back, there’s nothing.

This is not uncommon, and I find it does not seem to matter how long I have wet-aged the meat. Unwrap it, and let it sit for 5 minutes. As 4ever says, 99% of the time when I come back I smell absolutely nothing but raw beef.

Back