Beef short ribs

Did you have to ask for them at RD or did you just go rat picking through the beef section and they were there?

I can get them at HEB around here, just have to ask for the full rack but I rummage through the RD brisket selection about once a month.

Thanks.

The RD in Dallas doesn't carry these normally. They happened to have a case that someone special ordered and didn't pick-up. The RD in Austin always has them. I'm not sure about Houston. You should be able to special order them if they don't keep them in stock, but you will probably have to order a whole case, which ain't cheap. This case weighed 90 lbs and cost ~$425 (after the case discount). It included 3 cryovacs that contain 4 racks (12 ribs) in each cryovac. So each rib averages 2.5lbs raw weight.

Just beautiful! I've had shorties on the brain for a little while now. My lovely wife much prefers those to other beef BBQ, and I basically do too. Hoping to have time to cook some up in the next weekend or 3 - thanks for posting! :clap2:

Very nice. I never have seen a short rib intact before. Those things are HUGE!

Last edited:
UH-MAY-ZING!

I have a new quest for my wife. Find some ribs like that for me to cook. WOW! I just can't get over it.

Restaurant dePOT

Sorry BOUT THE CApS BUT My KEYboard is WIggin' out.
I saw THesE RIBs AT RD TODAY. gOT MYSELF a mEMbershiP & didn't eXPect to Get ANYthiNG but dropped A HUndRED on SOME great items.
LAzzari lump 40 lBs. FOR ten BUX. AnyHOW, i wanted to get the BEEf back RIbs BUT WAS disAPpoinTED. Just liKE mY local GROCER-vONS, THE beef BACK ribs WERE TRIMMED to the bone and $2.99/lb. tHE shorties WERE in a better buy AT 3.99/LB GIven they WEREn't tRimmed DOWN To nUTHIN left. WherE IS a good PLace to get GOOD back RIbs? I got some LAST thANKsGIVING w/ alotta MEAT ON THEM. The vONS BUTcher TOLD me since THEY SELL alot of riB roaSTS DURING THE HOLIDAYS, THE Store actually cutS the RIBs off the rib roast WHILE cutting STRAIGHT DOWn....not in BETWEEN THE boneS LEAving a good AMOUNT OF meAT.
IM in sAN Diego....I think i'LL TrY the LOCAL bUTCHER Shops HOPING theY HAVe some BACK RIbs WORth BUying.

Sorry BOUT THE CApS BUT My KEYboard is WIggin' out.
I saw THesE RIBs AT RD TODAY. gOT MYSELF a mEMbershiP & didn't eXPect to Get ANYthiNG but dropped A HUndRED on SOME great items.
LAzzari lump 40 lBs. FOR ten BUX. AnyHOW, i wanted to get the BEEf back RIbs BUT WAS disAPpoinTED. Just liKE mY local GROCER-vONS, THE beef BACK ribs WERE TRIMMED to the bone and $2.99/lb. tHE shorties WERE in a better buy AT 3.99/LB GIven they WEREn't tRimmed DOWN To nUTHIN left. WherE IS a good PLace to get GOOD back RIbs? I got some LAST thANKsGIVING w/ alotta MEAT ON THEM. The vONS BUTcher TOLD me since THEY SELL alot of riB roaSTS DURING THE HOLIDAYS, THE Store actually cutS the RIBs off the rib roast WHILE cutting STRAIGHT DOWn....not in BETWEEN THE boneS LEAving a good AMOUNT OF meAT.
IM in sAN Diego....I think i'LL TrY the LOCAL bUTCHER Shops HOPING theY HAVe some BACK RIbs WORth BUying.

Those ribs looks killer, but now I got a headache ^^^^

If I'm using a UDS (ie vertical heat source), should I cook bone down or meat down? any reason why one is better?
We can't seem to get full racks around here (Sydney), only pre-cut into approx 1lb "popsicles"

I do 4-5 of these singles at a time, bone down, 275-300 for about 8 hours.

Back