Beef rib techniques/ideas?

TxQGuy

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
Big C
I've been on a beef rib kick for quite some time. Specifically, individually cut short ribs ("chuck" i think?). I love dino bones but something about the smaller, 3-4 bite size of these little fellers appeals to me. Plus, when they are individually cut, you get 360 degrees of bark! Was just wondering if any of you have favorite techniques you use for cooking them?

Personally, I don't trim them or mess with them at all right out of the package. Just rub on some mustard/louisiana hot sauce, apply the rub, and let sit in the fridge for a few hours. I've been smoking at 250-275 for 5 hours nekkid, then foiling for an hour before one last hour unwrapped. Spritzing after the first couple hours once the bark forms.

I did try something a little different the last time I made them. Did the usual 5 hours unwrapped, then I put them meat side up in a foil pan with a little beef broth and beer inside and covered with foil for two hours. Finished the last hour inside the pan but with the foil cover off. They came out even more tender.

Any beef rib ideas I should try, either a new way of cooking them or a different use for the end product (sliders, tacos, etc)? Does anyone use a different type of rub other than the standard beef/brisket SPOG?

Oh, and found this pic of some I made a few months back. If I remember correctly, I experimented with just going 7 hours unwrapped with these. The meat wasn't quite as tender as wrapped but the fat rendered beautifully to where it just crackled and dissolved like melted butter. I can't get it to do that when wrapping. :becky:

lXaGJW2h.jpg

salt, pepper and smoke, sometimes an occasional spritz, 5-6 hrs 275-300 never wrapped before except to hold
CGG7YFXh.jpg

uWLFN47h.jpg

Those are some beautiful looking ribs. I think that purchasing a couple of 3-4 bone sections will be on the agenda for me here pretty soon if I can find a good supplier locally, they just look too damn tasty.

Dang those are pretty! Is that salsa/pico that you have with it?

Big or small...Singles or plate...No matter...

Peel the membrane...Rub em, smoke em, and eat em...That's it...No foil or spritz... No problem...

Big or small...Singles or plate...No matter...

Peel the membrane...Rub em, smoke em, and eat em...That's it...No foil or spritz... No problem...

Ya know...I have no idea why I never peeled the membrane on beef ribs. I really should, since I do it every time with pork. Weird.

I've been meaning to do a plate of chuckies this season.

Any opinions on the Black Angus short ribs sold @ Restaurant Depot?

leave the membrane on. no meat on that side and it holds the meat on the bone for presentation and eating

Agree with you leave the membrane on. I took it off once and the meat fell of the bone. For me half the excitement is holding the bone whilst eating.

Back