BBQ sauce

Yes...up here we have to send to Cornell, with a detailed description of process, ingredients, proper ph etc.....then bottled by a licensed operation...with so many sauces on the market it will be hard break even, if you can afford it, start by talking to a company that bottles others, I seen a couple listed on the Bull Sheet or the National BBQ news..

What do you want to do with your sauce?

1. Keep it a hobby where you sell it at local farmer's markets, festivals and maybe at a few local mom and pop owned stores?

or

2. Sell it on a larger scale like to national grocery chains?

If your answer is #1 odds are you won't ever have to worry about permits, licensing or anything like that. On occasion we'll attend a local Farmer's market and it is packed with people selling BBQ sauce, canned preserves, pickled this and pickled that who have nothing more than a homemade label. None have liability insurance, license or any form of a permit. They made the product in their home kitchen. Is there a risk? Yep. But odds are if you keep it at this level you'll be fine. Would I do it this way? Nope. But A LOT of people do and never have a problem.

If your answer is #2 then you need to have your product lab tested for the ph level/acidity of the product. To see if it needs to be refrigerated or not. You'll need to get a UPC# and have barcodes put on your labels. Get the nutritional information done by a professional company. Have your sauce packed by a professional. Get liability insurance. In many cases the co-packer will allow you to be covered under his umbrella policy. He might charge you like $100/year but it is well worth it.

Last edited:
I have looked into doing this via my local farmers market and they required we have a food license for packing foods, which also includes having someone come out and inspect our kitchen we use to prepare food. It was a bit more of a process than we were interested in, but I think each farmers market has their own regulations for those types of products. I jar and sell our sauce, on a small scale, via word of mouth from family and friends. It's not much, but it does bring in a little extra cash in the BBQ season.

I have looked into doing this via my local farmers market and they required we have a food license for packing foods, which also includes having someone come out and inspect our kitchen we use to prepare food. It was a bit more of a process than we were interested in, but I think each farmers market has their own regulations for those types of products. I jar and sell our sauce, on a small scale, via word of mouth from family and friends. It's not much, but it does bring in a little extra cash in the BBQ season.

Yeah, for the most part doing it this way you or the original poster shouldn't have much issue. GOOD LUCK!!!! :clap:

Back