BBQ Pit Masters Episode 4

My wife and I watch the show. I think my wife wants to watch it because she wants to support my interests. I watch the show to see which Brethren(s) might be on. Not really a BBQ show when they cook two non-Q dishes and only one Q meat, but I enjoy it for the Brethren on the show.

Absolutely todd. For all those that say this is great for "BBQ", where is the BBQ? Folks get eliminated for cooking non-BBQ. Oh sure, they have one BBQ dish, but that isn't taken in to consideration. It's all about the crazy dish that they had to cook and/or coleslaw, macaroni and cheese, et al. Again, where is the BBQ? This is doing a disservice for BBQ. If you don't believe it, look at what the non-cult people are saying about the show. So it's not just us BBQr's that are upset with the format and what they have done to it...

No thanks. I do supoport those that are on the show, doesn't mean I have to like it or want to watch it... Which is my choise. To not watch it.

You'll see a surge in backyard contests, especially in neighborhoods, mens groups, etc.

I will be interested to see what John has to say Wednesday night on the show...he has asked to take call-in questions from the haters! We'll see if anyone actually calls...

You'll see a surge in backyard contests, especially in neighborhoods, mens groups, etc.

I bet you're right...

I'm watching to support Big Poppa, Diva and Mista..
If they were selected to participate in a mud wrestling competition, I'd support them. lol They're like family. :-D

Also, this is the only smoking show that I'm aware of on tv. I have to tune in to at least get a glimpse of what they're cooking and what equipment they are using. :-D

I'm disappointed in the lack of actual BBQ process you get to see on the show. You see virtually nothing of the food or the process. The whole show feels rushed. Sorry, but even for reality TV, it isn't that good.

Nailed it! :thumb:

Personally I think it is one big advertisement for Kingsford. Last years episodes were great in my opion, maybe because it is what we do. I think they are trying to cater to the backyard enthusiast, and I find myself getting aggravated when they disqualify a team for some ancillary side dish.

I'm disappointed in the lack of actual BBQ process you get to see on the show. You see virtually nothing of the food or the process. The whole show feels rushed. Sorry, but even for reality TV, it isn't that good.

Yes I would love to see more of the process
They sure taped it all
Edits of show production have improved each week
Just show more cooking and less elimination hype

Thom, the "lovers" of reality television FEED off of other peoples misery, addiction, affliction...what have you! That's why the focus will always bee on the elimination...Ever notice the amount of midgets on reality TV right now??!! JUST SAYIN'!

Good luck to The Brethren. This will be the most interesting one for me.
May the best side dish win. (Don't hurt me. That's a joke) :tape:

hum 8 midgets baking cup cakes
while arguing about building motor cycles
then eating too much food in a "challenge pig out"
now there is a show fer ya

hum 8 midgets baking cup cakes
while arguing about building motor cycles
then eating too much food in a "challenge pig out"
now there is a show fer ya

Sled's a faker... feel free to hate on him.

Last edited:
I'm trying to be kindler and gentler, even when I don't really think others deserve it, so post content removed.

. I'm not about to lower my standards because that's all there is.

Sounds like you don't need a TV set then. Exactly what television entertainment does meet your standards?

Scottie said:
It's all about the crazy dish that they had to cook and/or coleslaw, macaroni and cheese, et al. Again, where is the BBQ?

Our restaurant wouldn't last two months if we took everything off the menu but meat. To the vast majority of Americans, BBQ means not just smoked meat, but also sauce and sides; the full meal experience. I personally know a handful of people who consider the quality of the ice tea to be a prime criteria in rating Que joints!

Once again, BBQ Pitmasters is entertainment television designed to attract the maximum number of viewers, aka average Joes who think the McRib is pretty tasty. It's not a documentary about and for the competition elite. That documentary wouldn't attract enough viewers to be profitable, so you're only going to see it on YouTube, Public TV or if you create it yourself.

So, just don't watch it. Write it off as silly entertainment for people who don't know what "real BBQ" is. That's fine. But don't poormouth the show to regular folks whose interest was piqued by what they've watched. Use it as a gateway - invite them out to your next competition to see for themselves. If we don't take these rare opportunities to use the media to assist us in the task of being ambassadors to this activity we love then one day when all the contests dry up because we're perceived as a bunch of stuck-up Prima Donnas we'll have no one to blame but ourselves.

You will be seein some yardbird from your pals at Big Poppa Smokers

Back