THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which is it, BBQ or Fried?

• BBQ

Votes: 56 78.9%
  • Fried

Votes: 15 21.1%

• Total voters
if you do this at a competition, cover your butt..

YOU MUST LET THE REP KNOW WHAT YOUR DOING. !!!!

He will need to cover your arse when/if the table captain or judges try to DQ you.. the rep can then clarify things..
one of our teams used a similar technique and was unjustifiably DQ'ed.

Read this one carefully.. and then send a PM to Sawdustguy for more details.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19279&highlight=DQ%27ed+chicken

There you have it. BE CAREFULL FOR A COMP!!!!

At this link we read "We were disqualified (given 1's in appearance) by the judges because it was deemed that these results must have been achieved by means other than BBQ."

This is a presumption.

At the judging class I attended, it was reinforced time and again that the cook has complete control over what they turn in. It matters not if the meat was cooked in 30 seconds or whatever. There ARE conditions to judge on appearance, but cooking method is NOT one of them. HOW a meat is cooked cannot be determined by the judges. Therefore, it's a moot point to ask how it was cooked. If it looks unusual, it most likely won't score high.

(How do you think the MoKanMeatHeads 'Turbo Brisket' ever came into being? THAT's not BBQ . . .)

But because of the rules laid down by the KCBS we know that we can judge North Carolina BBQ against Phoenix BBQ against what ever . . . and we will judge it fairly.

At NO point were we EVER coached to judge whether or not the cooking method used was 'Low n Slow BBQ' or anything else at all. We were coached to search for what is RIGHT with the samples.

I hope this helps.

Forgive me if I am reading your post wrong. But it seems you are saying a cook can cook meat anyway they want after it has been inspected and the judges can not decide how it was cooked or score down or DQ it.

If a judge suspects it has been fried, parboiled, cooked in a gas oven or gas grill, he can have the table captain get the Rep for a call. The Rep should then go to the team and try to find out how it was cooked.

So if one was to do something unusual but still being within the rules, it would be wise to contact the Rep and let him know what you are doing, just to be on the safe side.

Again hope I didn't miss understand your post. And Jim those are some good looken eats.
Dave

Forgive me if I am reading your post wrong. But it seems you are saying a cook can cook meat anyway they want after it has been inspected and the judges can not decide how it was cooked or score down or DQ it.

If a judge suspects it has been fried, parboiled, cooked in a gas oven or gas grill, he can have the table captain get the Rep for a call. The Rep should then go to the team and try to find out how it was cooked.

So if one was to do something unusual but still being within the rules, it would be wise to contact the Rep and let him know what you are doing, just to be on the safe side.

Again hope I didn't miss understand your post. And Jim those are some good looken eats.
Dave

OK - the only grounds for DQ that I see in the rules are;

5. A score of one (1) is a disqualification and requires approval by a Contest Rep.
Grounds for disqualification:
Appearance: Unapproved garnish, sculptured meat, marked turn-in container, foreign object in container, less than 6 samples of meat or pooled sauce.
Taste & Tenderness: Sculptured meat, marked turn-in container, foreign object in container or judges not receiving a sample.

I don't see any grounds for disqualification in there that cover cooking method.

I figured that cooking methods, such as fried or parboiled cooking and other violations such as use of propane would be something the reps would need to detect during the cooking.

Things that make you go 'hmm . . .'

I hope this helps.

Well, according to the KCBS rules, once the meat is checked in and verified that it has been saved in a safe manner . . . the cook can do anything they want to the meat.

Short answer is: a person would NOT need to check with the reps first.

Now, if the competition is being judged against another set of rules, the answer could be different.
Sorry bud, but rules 5 and 6 state:

5. Fires shall be of wood, wood pellets or charcoal. Gas and
electric heat sources shall not be permitted for cooking or
holding. Propane or electric is permitted as fire starters,
provided that the competition meat is not in/on the cooking
device. Electrical accessories such as spits, augers, or forced
draft are permitted. No open pits or holes are permitted,
except at the election of the contest organizer. Fires shall not
be built on the ground.
6. Parboiling and/or deep-frying competition meat is not
allowed.

Here is the site for the complete set of rules....

http://www.kcbs.us/pdf/2008RulesAndRegulations.pdf

We were coached to search for what is RIGHT with the samples.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I disagree with search for what is right. Its kind of glass half full , half empty. You can't ignore what is wrong even when somethings are right.

If it looks unusual, it most likely won't score high.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
It can look unusual but look nice and score well in appearance, taste and tenderness. Thats like someone that says, if its covered with sauce I score it down because the cook must be trying to hide something. BALONEY.

(How do you think the MoKanMeatHeads 'Turbo Brisket' ever came into being? THAT's not BBQ . . .)
I think they would disagree with that. As long as it looks good taste good and is the right tenderness along with being cooked over wood, pellets or charcoal, its bbq. Weather you can produce good brisket at 800 degrees in 2 hours or 130 in 14 hours does not matter, as long as you achieve the above mentioned criteria. That is not for a judge to try and figure out.

I figured that cooking methods, such as fried or parboiled cooking and other violations such as use of propane would be something the reps would need to detect during the cooking.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Nothing to stop a cook at 2:00am to switch over to electric or gas when the Rep is in bed, I am sure its been done. I am sure I could set a box of bbq in front of almost anyone that I cooked over gas and you would swear it was low and slow smoked over wood.

But back to the original post, If your doing something unusual let the Rep know in advance to eliminate any doubt. Best advice would not to do anything so unusual that it would draw attention.

Keep an open mind when judging and don't make assumptions. But as a judge if you do suspect something is not right then get the Rep involved, thats one of their most important jobs.
Dave
Tuff Rub
CBJ class of 06

Sorry bud, but rules 5 and 6 state:

5. Fires shall be of wood, wood pellets or charcoal. Gas and
electric heat sources shall not be permitted for cooking or
holding. Propane or electric is permitted as fire starters,
provided that the competition meat is not in/on the cooking
device. Electrical accessories such as spits, augers, or forced
draft are permitted. No open pits or holes are permitted,
except at the election of the contest organizer. Fires shall not
be built on the ground.
6. Parboiling and/or deep-frying competition meat is not
allowed.

Here is the site for the complete set of rules....

http://www.kcbs.us/pdf/2008RulesAndRegulations.pdf

Thanks for all the comments guys - definitely some food for thought here.

Right. I understand the rules above about the cooking method AND they're the same rules where I looked for the grounds for disqualification. (They're on the next page of the rules PDF - see earlier post above.)

Nothing in the grounds for disqualification portion says anything about the cooking method as being grounds for DQ.

Since the judges aren't able to (and probably shouldn't) monitor the cook sites before judging, they shouldn't be held accountable for bringing cooking method violations to the attention of the reps. Food can meet the rules for what BBQ is, but look fried, as we've seen with the delicious looking example back at the start of this thread.

I am definitely going to ask for guidance on this from my instructor. It's something we touched on (how BBQ is defined, rules for DQ) but this specific circumstance wasn't mentioned. Plenty of others were . . . just not this.

Nothing in the grounds for disqualification portion says anything about the cooking method as being grounds for DQ.
I am not trying to pick on you but feel I must say something here. Not only is cooking method grounds for a DQ but if its cooked by any other means then stated in the rules as acceptable, then it could mean cheating and being told to pack up and go home. I believe it caries a 2 year suspension for the entire team from cooking any KCBS cookoff.

Of course thats extreme and cheating would have to be proven.
Dave

I am not trying to pick on you but feel I must say something here. Not only is cooking method grounds for a DQ but if its cooked by any other means then stated in the rules as acceptable, then it could mean cheating and being told to pack up and go home. I believe it caries a 2 year suspension for the entire team from cooking any KCBS cookoff.

Of course thats extreme and cheating would have to be proven.
Dave
Hey, it's not problem at all. You're not picking . . . there's a good exchange of ideas and concepts here that just might help someone.
(Besides, I gave up on trying to be in the right on things ever since I got married. :wink: )

I agree that violation of any part of the rules should lead to a disqualification - but I'm saying that it should NOT be the judges in the judging tent that should be calling the teams out on those violations.

I was coached to judge the samples as presented and to score accordingly. Anything that a judge might believe to have happened (illegal cooking methods in this case) would be pure conjecture and should not enter into the judge's scoring decisions.

Rules violations, other than those in the 'grounds for disqualification' section of the rules, are for the reps to enforce.

Of course we would hope this is all a moot point, given that all of the KCBS competitors are gentlemen, er, gentlefolk and would know and follow the rules.

You are right. As a judge I have never scored on how I thought the meat had been cooked its not my concern. Only thing I have to think about is if I like it and if it at least meets the bare KCBS standards, and all are subjective.

On a different note I cooked some Italian sausage, chicken legs and pork steaks tonight. I started on the gasser but the meat no sooner hit the grill and the gas went empty. In less than 15 minutes I had my weber up and running and cooked on that and boy was I glad I ran out of gas.
Dave

Back