BBQ for India Natives

cyberstrategist

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
Cyber
I provided four half chickens to a customer the day before Thanksgiving. I received feedback that everything was delicious, moist, and flavorful. The only comment that I received to make it better for those that are from India, as he and his family are, is to increase the spices used.

Question to the group - Do you have any experience BBQ'ing for those from the middle east that are used to more spices?

I did kick up the heat and spice that I have in my poultry rub at his request but, apparantly, that wasn't enough. The feedback was a simple "more spice" so I'll follow-up with him to get more details but I didn't want to waste any time getting the question out on the board. There are many Indians that live in this area that I could serve well if I can perfect a spice combo for what they are used to.

Last edited:
That area of the world is my favorite cuisine. Nepal, North and South India - all three have different regional variations. South India likes it hotter (more chilis) and they use Black Cardamon for it's smokier flavor. Way up in Nepal it's not as hot with chilis, and they use milder Green Cardamon.

I like a smoked Cumin in my rubs

That region doesn't like mildly flavored foods. Maybe serve with a side of your sauce enhanced with some ground Dandicut pepper.

Know a family that adopted a baby from India. When he was 4 years old, he had his own shelf in the refrigerator of hot sauces that nobody else in the family could touch. He put tons of the sauce on everything he ate. I was told that one of the other kids took the lid off one of the jars once, took a whiff and had to make a visit to ICU.

There are lots of different regions in India, with different cooking and spice levels. I would definitely use this as a learning experience. Do just what you're doing and get to know their spice levels. You may even try something simple, like ask them to show you how much. I know other caterers who did this with an ethnic group in their store's neighborhood and they did VERY well with sales.

What no one likes is super heat for the sake of super heat.

The local BW3 for wings, for example. They have the super hot wing that if you eat them all in 15 minutes you get your pic on a wall. Well, these wings are lousy tasting. They are just jacked up with a random capsaicin source, and no consideration for the flavor. My indian friends mock these wings, not for the lack of heat but because of the amateur-ish way they simply dumped a load of ill-thought, bad tasting heat.

So you want more spice, but not necessarily a lot of heat. I eat hotter food than most of my friends from Nepal.

If you want to please them with what you already have, just add more salt-less rub to get the "more flavor" they're requesting.

If you want to make a brine and rub that complements the region, I'd suggest looking up a Masala recipe (there are thousands) and make a rub from that.

You'll want to watch the ratios of these spices (my opinion), hence the recipe for the Masalas

Clarified Butter (Ghee) is a common source of fat, and it lends a distinct background flavor. Just sayin'

They also like sauces and gravies, so an Indian Masala-spiked BBQ sauce might be a starting point. Only so much deep flavor you can get from a rub or brine.

I did kick up the heat and spice that I have in my poultry rub at his request but, apparantly, that wasn't enough. The feedback was a simple "more spice"

I'd suggest looking at a tandoori chicken recipe and seeing what spices you can adapt to your rub. Also might be good to find out what region he's from.

If I could translate what they asked for- they literally want more grams of spice in / on the meat and they'd love a sauce.

Their sauces are thick with a literal pile of powdered spices. It can be overwhelming.

So "more spice" isn't primarily "more heat." It's literally more grams of spice. The sauce is where you could really differentiate this.

j15491's recommendation for Tandoori Chicken is a good start. A Tandoori Masala is mild in heat but often complex and if you have raw spices you could make your own.

Last edited:
Check it: http://www.littlekitchenbigworld.com/homemade-tandoori-masala-recipe-for-tandoori-chicken/

DSC_0779.jpg

While it's not authentic Indian, a number of the spices in the marinade are, and it's a regular staple in our house:

http://mooseonfire.com/home/2013/7/26/savory-fire-grilled-chicken-kabobs

We originally used this for kabobs, but pretty much use boneless chicken thighs now. This just might do the trick. You could also marinate half chickens in this, or chicken pieces of your choice.

I've had a hankering for some Indian for quite some time... and you folks aren't making it any better (Not much Indian cuisine 'round NE, NM)!

One suggestion I have on the sauce front is to make your own. Get some minced garlic and ginger (sometimes together in the same jar to save a little time)... and experiment with different curry pastes (either from a jar or via recipes that I know you'll find out there in The Cloud). Edit: You'd figure this out anyway... but I forgot to add mention of diced onion, cooked down a bit with the garlic / ginger in some ghee (clarified butter) or just regular unsalted butter if you can't find the ghee. Add some tomato paste (usually) for the liquid side of the house, and see how it compliments your bird and rub(s). You never know what sort of wonderful combination you discover.

If trying the pre-made route, I suggest Mr. Patak's Vindaloo (paste, if you can find it... otherwise, try the premade simmering sauce in a jar for your own experimentation). It has some heat, but it's not ridiculous/overwhelming.

Glad to hear that you had positive response and folks who are willing to provide feedback/discuss what they really like on your chicken!

Last edited:
Back