BBQ Classes

I have been putting on Basic BBQ Classes (not competition) for 5 years. I tell everyone that attends to tell anybody they want what they have learned.

I fill EVERY Class!!! 75% of new attendees are from referrals.

I ain't got no stinkin' secrets.

It's BBQ guys. Not Rocket Science. Don't be so serious about this stuff!!!

And, if somebody doesn't want their stuff shared, they should not tell ANYONE how they do it. And, if you paid for a Class, that information now belongs to you. Do with it what you want.

PARTY!!!!!!!!!!! That's just my opinion and I really don't know Jack Squat!!

I have been putting on Basic BBQ Classes (not competition) for 5 years. I tell everyone that attends to tell anybody they want what they have learned.

I fill EVERY Class!!! 75% of new attendees are from referrals.

I ain't got no stinkin' secrets.

And, if somebody doesn't want their stuff shared, they should not tell ANYONE how they do it. And, if you paid for a Class, that information now belongs to you. Do with it what you want.

PARTY!!!!!!!!!!! That's just my opinion and I really don't know Jack Squat!!

Whisper down the lane by the time I get the info I'll need to take the class. A print-out should not be printed on a forum.

What do you all think about note swapping? I have been asked to swap notes with someone who has taken another class. In that instance it certainly is not giving away secrets - it's trading. Nor is it the same as putting things out on a forum. Just throwing that out there FWIW. Again, Scottie's notes I won't share because that could take money away from the Foundation.

There is one more component to the mix that comes after class -- each cook has to fully own the process through replication and then sublimating it into their own cooking process. We've seen a lot of people take classes, and while there is broad-based improvement there are a relatively smaller number of people who break out of the pack with that knowledge. It's not that they weren't all exposed to the same information; there is something else that contributes.

We have remained respectful to our teacher's expressed feeling that particular details remain among paid class attendees. We follow his tradition in that when giving advice, we endeavor to do what he did -- to help teach the questioner how to think about the BBQ process, which will make them a more skilled cook, not just a one-off smarter one.

Using my "Mixon-ary", I believe Myron's response would be...

"It's not just damn BBQ son, when you're trying ta get ya m***** F***in' ass paid!"

I'll chime in here, and say... I'm expecting big things from the Plowboys class in March!! :lol::lol: ...and I ain't sharing it with anyone other than my team. :wink:

I will say one thing, it is a real shame when people go to classes and dupicate exactly what they were taught.

If someone thinks a class alone is the "magic bullet", then they're going at it with the wrong attitude. I go into a class hoping that the added knowledge will amplify my performance. After cooking for 20 years, I am a walking amalgamation of my prior experiences. I have specific goals I'm hoping to achieve. If the classes I take elevate me, even slightly, towards those goals, then the class is/was a success.

Learning BBQ is a process, not an event.

What do you all think about note swapping? I have been asked to swap notes with someone who has taken another class. In that instance it certainly is not giving away secrets - it's trading. Nor is it the same as putting things out on a forum. Just throwing that out there FWIW. Again, Scottie's notes I won't share because that could take money away from the Foundation.

Then I say buyer beware. I hope they take/took as good and detailed notes as you did.

I have compared some overview of a class with another competitor but they took the same class, just different date.

I want to make sure that i understand what you are asking. Were you and the person asking to swap notes in the same class, same day? If so, then you aren't giving the, anything that they couldn't have picked, but I would ask myself why they want to swap notes. Maybe they didn't do a good job of note taking and want to take advantage of your thoroughness?

If they weren't in the class that you paid for, then I would say no. Let them pay for the information just like you did.

I'll chime in here, and say... I'm expecting big things from the Plowboys class in March!! :lol::lol: ...and I ain't sharing it with anyone other than my team. :wink:

I totally agree. If a certain technique of bit of knowledge that you learn at a class pushes you further up the competition ladder, why would you want to openly share it with the people that you are competing against? That makes what you paid to learn null and void. If you want to stay at the same skill level as the rest of the pack then you might as well stay home and let somebody else have your seat at the class.

Jacked up- did you REALLY airbrush your food? If so, thats amazing, I want pics. If you didn't, well, you got me....

There are basics. Any one that wants to be a dick would say he learned how to light a fire, he learned how to keep the temps steady, he uses only a specific wood for flavor. I should have clarified a little better, but it was late. Yes, you can mix a bunch of ingredients and its yours, but dont get upset if someone else accidentally mixes the same ingredients and calls it theres. If a team didnt want their secrets to get out, DONT OFFER CLASSES.
Lawrence Livermore labs is on lock down because they dont want people to know what they are doing. Its for a reason.

I don't understand this statement. How do you know they haven't invented something?

There ARE new & unique ideas out there. I've been working on some chicken techniques on the FEC-100 that I've never heard anyone do before, neither has Fast Eddy or other top FEC-100 cooks I've talked to. Anyone who has seen KC Can Crew cook chicken knows that the guy is doing something unique.

And contrary to other statements made in this thread, there ARE secrets out there, too. I know of a team that is doing something just this year that would amaze most pellet cooks. Per the team, I'm the only person outside of the team that knows... and it will stay that way.

I think all of these instructors know that once they give it out, it is out there. You just have to assume that it will be shared. You can't control it, so why worry about it.

Jacked up- did you REALLY airbrush your food? If so, thats amazing, I want pics. If you didn't, well, you got me....

Dan it is VERY true. I don't know if I have any pics, but I will do it again just for you this weekend, maybe!

We like trying crazy stuff, enough of the crazy flavors we use to do, but we will continue with the innovative creations for appearance!

When an instructor(s) state limitations on disclosure they should be respected.
Not everyone thinks that way to say don't share and assume that you paid for the training, so you wouldn't give away the information.
Sharing information doesn't devalue your learning, it can impact the instructors earnings. I say that with a double edge it can sway people in either direction to Go or not go to a class.
Musically as a parallel do you want to experience the original score, a decent cover or pharkin karaoke? :icon_smil
Each will have its own spin you'll hear the song.
When I was deep in my photography career I was taking seminars from other photographers to improve my Technique, almost everyone of them also sold a bus load of books and gizmo's. Plus some corporate sponsorship, all of those were the real money makers, the classes were ultimately very elaborate and helpful marketing tools.
I left using new techniques and shared them with my studio teams and we all bought the after class materials, and it rippled out with the latest thing since sliced bread
Take a class, tell your friends then more will Buy my: book, rub, grill, smoker, and bling with my name on it to advertise and maybe sign up for a class from the master themselves.
for the record I haven't taken any classes yet...

Are we talking about cooking some food or coming up with a cure for aids?:twisted:
Anybody can cook some food. In my case I'm talking about helping my students improve and ultimately win.
If winning was simple, everyone would be doing it.

Anybody can cook some food. In my case I'm talking about helping my students improve and ultimately win.

Here here :eusa_clap:eusa_clap Guess I'm taking a Swamp Boys class next :-D

Not anyone can cook some food, believe me my wife tries. Is your class sold out yet? I know a few guys on here were talking about going.

oh yeah he did. farking clown had me at the craft store looking for airbrushes. my fingers are still red from that crap, but it looked amazing. I think i have pics of that ill have to look for them.

Here is something we experimented with in the past, I will share it because we do not do it anymore. We airbrushed smoke rings on with food paint, it looked farking amazing, we don't do it anymore because it stains your fingers and takes to long and the food gets ice cold. But it is the best looking thing you will ever see. There is an idea that I thought I came up with, but I doubt it! Anyone else want to throw soething out there!

Well there is a big difference between a unique idea that wins contests and just a unique idea (wasabi mod). :p

Last season I took a comp class (Rod and Mr. Trigg) and taught a comp class. In my class, I gave printed handouts of our methods to all the students and asked them not to post on a forum. As far as I know everyone was very respectful of that request.

Yes, you can look up all sorts of competition techniques via Google. The trick is knowing which ones to use, how to combine them into an overall program that works. This is what was most valuable to me in the Rod and Johnny class. Some ideas were new, some were ideas that I had used in the past but abandoned (not sure why). I was able to restructure a few things based on their tried and true programs and it paid off big time later in my season.

Not anyone can cook some food, believe me my wife tries. Is your class sold out yet? I know a few guys on here were talking about going.

Not quite sold out, I've filled about 24 out of 30 seats so far. There's still a few more days left before I cut it off.
Sorry bout your wife and cooking :rolleyes::lol:

Back