THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Don't encourage him. :roll:

CD :becky:

Wha??? :noidea:

BBQ-682_854012a.jpg

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/2556542/Killer-chipmunks-invade-kitchens.html

One of the first establishments I visited upon moving to Duluth was a little place called Z's Deli. Z's was located in an area that at one time had considerable foot traffic. Deli sandwiches of all variety could be found at Z's. The first sandwich I tried was named the La Kosher Nostra. This was a triple decker corned beef and pastrami with cole slaw and swiss cheese. Man was it good. Every time I went back to Z's I looked the menu up and down but always returned to the La Kosher Nostra.

Z's recently closed its doors. The La Kosher Nostra will have to live on in my memory and despite my best efforts I doubt that I will ever be able to duplicate it as well.

This was my attempt. I love the throwdowns because I am always trying to make something I've never made before. I was not going to attempt swiss cheese, but everything else seemed within my reach. First I needed to find some brisket. Not wanting to go overboard if I messed it up entirely I settled on a smaller 3 to 3 1/2 pounder.

lkn1.JPG

Found a recipe based on an Alton Brown original and mixed up my brine.

lkn2.JPG
lkn3.JPG

Next came the Pumpernickel. I did a practice run on this one since I wanted to make sure I didn't go through all the trouble of making corned beef and pastrami and then not having a respectable bread. I modified a recipe I found on the net and it turned out great (at least I think so).

lkn4.JPG
lkn5.JPG

After 9 days in the brine I pulled out the two pieces of brisket, threw one in a pot with onions, carrots, and celery and the other went on the BGE with a mix of black pepper, coriander, smoked paprika and some other stuff I can't remember right now. Smoked at 225 with apple wood.

lkn6.JPG
lkn7.JPG

And finally the slaw. Now it seems a bit strange after all the pulled pork I've made that I've never made cole slaw but a local store has some really good creamy slaw and I just never thought about making my own. But since this is a throwdown I decided to search the Brethren pages for slaw recipes. I actually did a Google search first and entered "Best Damn Cole Slaw Recipe". That search brought me back to the Brethren and a post about the famous Cock Of The Walk Cole Slaw. Now that is just a great name and I hope someday I can visit the Cock Of The Walk. For now I must settle for my rendition. I doubled the sugar as I wanted something a little sweeter but other than that stayed true to what I found. I also had a very nice helper. I promise no children were injured in the making.

lkn8.JPG

So here it is my version of the La Kosher Nostra. There are a couple of slices of swiss cheese in there, but be darned if I can see them. I learned a ton while making this. My bread and slaw and corned beef turned out better than I hoped. The pastrami tastes great but has too much salt left and I know now that I need to soak it longer. Overall this was a lot of fun.

lkn9.JPG
lkn10.JPG

Thanks for looking

Looks great :thumb: I just did some pastrami and I am already planning another cook soon.

I am already thinking about the next one. I just need another refrigerator. My wife was pretty patient with the two big hunks of brisket brining for 9 days but it would be great if I had a separate fridge for this kind of stuff.

I am already thinking about the next one. I just need another refrigerator. My wife was pretty patient with the two big hunks of brisket brining for 9 days but it would be great if I had a separate fridge for this kind of stuff.

Yeah, the next time I plan to do a ton of different meats and cheeses. The biggest pain for me is cleaning the meat slicer my buddy has. It is great but takes like an hour to clean. So hopefully here in a couple weeks we will process some more venison and do up some sandwich meat and cheese at the same time. This last batch I actually vacusucked the meat into different sandwich sized portions and froze. When I want one, I can just thaw or heat it up in the vac bag and have just the right amount.

If that thing had homemade Swiss cheese on it, it would be a winner, for sure.

CD :becky:

The recipe I found said it needed to age at least three months. Darn time-lines on these throwdowns :wink:. Even the special ones are just too farkn short. :-D.

Back