BBQ Brethren "You know, for Kids!" Throwdown

Kids like hotdogs, right? I saw someone write that here somewhere, and I know mine do, so tonight I figured I'd throw my hat in the ring again (it's been awhile).

So hotdogs and sausages were on the grill tonight. I made a few extra to be sure and have at least one that was picture-worthy...

IMG_2478.jpg

The hotdogs were done before the sausages, so off they came and on went some peaches.

IMG_2480.jpg

We had grilled pineapple for dessert too, but it didn't make it off the grill in time for the plated picture.

IMG_2485.jpg

The peaches were put on a bed of greens, topped with some crumbled gorgonzola cheese (my son claims it smelled like his sister's dirty gym shoes, but he ate it anyway), and drizzled with honey. They were actually the hit of the meal.

IMG_2484.jpg

Use this last picture for my entry. Don't forget to let your kids vote, you know they want hotdogs and watermelon, even if there is green stuff on the plate with stinky cheese... :becky:

Gore I love the family shots wish we were entering this one but we are prepping to go on Vacation next week.

All of the entries looking awesome. funny went to bookmark the pie and realized i already did on wednesday! Its definitely double bookmark worthy

and Jim I like the use of the prosciutto. I need to get some thick cut so it can stand up to some sausage!

All of the entries looking awesome. funny went to bookmark the pie and realized i already did on wednesday! Its definitely double bookmark worthy

and Jim I like the use of the prosciutto. I need to get some thick cut so it can stand up to some sausage!

Yeah the real thin stuff is hard to work with, but the taste is awesome.

Gorgonzola in a "Just for Kids" entry? Wow! I'd love some on mine, especially with that lovely pineapple!

My wife found Smokey in a suitcase. I couldn't find Ninja Squirrel for this trip though. Jim, I think you'd be able to pick out mine in a line-up by now, and maybe a few others! :wink: Now only have a stovetop to work with. Might have to get really creative! Alan, I thought the primary objective was to post pics of your kids in this one. Food is optional.

G'Day Bruces...

Here's my entry...

The big thread HERE.

Entry pics here!

Trigg Method Ribs with Simply Marvellous Cherry Rub, Smoked with Lump and Mesquite: 2hrs Smoke / 40 mins Foil / 1hr to finish.

DSC_0070_01_566.jpg

And 3 Happy Kids...
DSC_0076_01_570.jpg

DSC_0077_01_571.jpg

DSC_0079_01_572.jpg

Chris... I can't choose a favourite. Can you pick the throwdown pic? Cheers!

Bill

Bill- Is that really fare? Making Chris choose a fav? LOL Great post as always!

Well, I gave ths one a go but the pics turned out quite poor due to photographer error. But, here it goes...

The kids and I rolled some cheese and hotdog bites inside biscuite dough to make mini pigs in blankets.
KidsCookandJuly4pics074.jpg

KidsCookandJuly4pics075.jpg

We coated some chicken legs with the kids favorite lemon pepper. We made a few with daddy's seasoning for the adults too. The pan and the panko are for the homemade mac n cheese.
KidsCookandJuly4pics076.jpg

The making of the mac n cheese pics were deleted accidentaly. We made white sauce then added cheese and spices, then covered colored rigatoni noodles with the cheese sauce and added panko for the topping. Here is everything on the grill.
KidsCookandJuly4pics082.jpg

An inside look at one of the pigs n blanket. Lost some of the cheese on this one.
KidsCookandJuly4pics084.jpg

Here's the mac n cheese.

KidsCookandJuly4pics085.jpg

Here is the plate-up pics. Since my kids are little, these are the best plates we use. :wink:
KidsCookandJuly4pics086.jpg

Everything turned out good. The kids loved the finger food/sans veggies dinner. Thanks for looking.

Great looking entries! Mac and cheese, fish stix, ribs and of course lots of dogs! Great kid food. You're breaking new ground with your entry photo Shiz. Absolutely adorable!

"Wait, I need to fix my hair"

Everything a kids loves hamburger, hot dogs, and bacon, right?

DSC03038.jpg

Gloves for easy clean-up.

DSC03040.jpg

Best helper and me.

DSC03042.jpg

"wait, I need to fix my hair!"

DSC03045.jpg

A Little bit of work and some Bovine Bold and you have a Turtle!!!!

DSC03046.jpg

We set up the weber for indirect and threw on a log of hickory just for good measure. (BTW I'm sporting the "Grill Master" shirt I got for fathers day for, guess who.)

DSC03047.jpg

And we found another use for muffin tins!!! :becky:

DSC03048.jpg

300 degrees for about 40 mins.

DSC03052.jpg

And one proud turtle cooker!!!

DSC03054.jpg

And one proud Daddy...

DSC03059.jpg

Cooked just right for everyone!

DSC03071.jpg

Use This one for "our entry"
DSC03066.jpg

Thanks for checking out our cook!!!! :thumb:

Daddy gets a Double

The kids know I like to cook and they have come to recognize when I'm cooking for a throwdown. Saturday morning, I was having a cup of coffee with my six year old (me coffee - him chocolate milk) and I explained to him about the 'kid' throwdown and asked him if he wanted to help. He decided he would prepare his special spicy onions (I didn't know he had a specialty). We put it to a vote and the kids elected burgers, watermelon and chips.

The onions were grilled in a foil pack with some EVOO and Jamaica Me Crazy Seasoning Salt (seasoning courtesy of Swamprb via Trade Round 29). 6yo and his special spicy onions:

DSC_0157.jpg

We took a couple of pounds of ground sirloin and mashed it onto a cookie sheet. It makes it a good thickness for sliders. We cut the burgers in squares cause it seemed like the thing to do. 9yo prepping the burgers:

DSC_0163.jpg

DSC_0176.jpg

My wife and daughter sliced the watermelon. My youngest son just milled around and got in the way. I was the pitmaster. I cooked a bacon weave in order to have some bacon for the burgers. The older boys helped flip the burgers.

Bacon cheeseburger with spicy onions:

DSC_0181.jpg

Watermelon girl and 'if I eat another bite of food I will explode' boy:

DSC_0184.jpg

DSC_0185.jpg

The boys plated a burger for me. Bacon, spicy onions, cheese, chips and watermelon. Daddy gets a double (we decided to enter this pic in the throwdown).

DSC_0180.jpg

Thanks from Team High Q.

Grilled Fruit Funnel Cake Tower with Bacon Weave.

We had a lot of fun making and eating this weeks "For Kids" Throwdown dish - Grilled Fruit Funnel Cake Tower on a Bacon Weave. You can view the full thread HERE

I made my first bacon weave to go on the bottom.
CookingBaconWeave.jpg

I grilled peaches, pineapple, pluots, and apples to top the cakes.
IMG_8067.jpg

GrilledApples.jpg

Using the grilled fruit I created 3 kinds of fruit sauces and also a carmel sauce for the apples.
Sauceson.jpg

I set up to make funnel cakes outside on the deck.
Funnelsetup.jpg

I fried both 10" and 5" funnel cakes
MakingFunnelcakes.jpg

Funnelcakecomingoffoil.jpg

I made my own personal funnel cake tower with two large and three small funnel cakes. First I started with the bacon weave and topped with a funnel cake done up with pineapple sauce and grilled pineapple.
Firstcakeandpineapple.jpg

The second cake was topped with grilled apples and carmel sauce.
SecondCakewithapple.jpg

The top 3 mini-cakes were topped with peach sauce, pluot/raspberry sauce, and pineapple sauce along with the corresponding grilled fruits. The final product was ridiculously good. The bacon weave on the bottom was covered with the fruit and carmel sauce goodness. Pretty much the ultimate pig candy weave.
FinalTop.jpg

Throwdown Shot
FinalSide.jpg

I wish I could say my baby daughter enjoyed this but at 5 months old it would be a pretty horrible way to start her on solid foods. The neighbor kids sure enjoyed it though!
EDIT: I thought I had better put a picture of my daughter up just to prove to the membership that she was happy just to see me eat the whole thing.
CrackingUp.jpg

Last edited:
Back