BBQ Brethren "Tortilla" Throwdown

Uh, oh. I hope we don't all make the same thing. 12 plates of fajitas, and one Dilly Bar on a tortilla. That would be embarrassing. :doh:

CD

You using tequila, too? :thumb:

CD

Blue Agave baby! Maybe I need to get up early, do the cook and beat you in posting? Nah, I like sleeping late too much! Sounds like you got something killer going on there...I came up with my own recipe for my marinade (never used tequila in one before), hoping it will taste as good as it smelled!

Blue Agave baby! Maybe I need to get up early, do the cook and beat you in posting? Nah, I like sleeping late too much! Sounds like you got something killer going on there...I came up with my own recipe for my marinade (never used tequila in one before), hoping it will taste as good as it smelled!

I get out of bed around eight-ish most days. On weekends, any time before noon is an early rise, unless I'm working.

I'm marinading for 24 hours. Nothing fancy planned -- very old school.

CD

I get out of bed around eight-ish most days. On weekends, any time before noon is an early rise, unless I'm working.

I'm marinading for 24 hours. Nothing fancy planned -- very old school.

CD

I just did a search on tequila marinades today for the quantities and added what I thought would compliment. And this time, I ain't using the probe to test the temp of ny meat, never did before and my, um, stuff always turned out juicy and perfect...but last time deguerre put the probe in to bring it to whatever temp the whoever says it's supposed to be to be considered "safe". It was dry compared to the, um, stuff I'd always grilled before. So this time I say screw the probe, I'm gonna go caveman stlye as I always have! Just hoping my marnaide tastes as good as it smelled! And the build I have planned is something I've never done either, hope it turns out beautiful, no...sinful.:becky:

I just did a search on tequila marinades today for the quantities and added what I thought would compliment. And this time, I ain't using the probe to test the temp of ny meat, never did before and my, um, stuff always turned out juicy and perfect...but last time deguerre put the probe in to bring it to whatever temp the whoever says it's supposed to be to be considered "safe". It was dry compared to the, um, stuff I'd always grilled before. So this time I say screw the probe, I'm gonna go caveman stlye as I always have! Just hoping my marnaide tastes as good as it smelled! And the build I have planned is something I've never done either, hope it turns out beautiful, no...sinful.:becky:

My marinade smelled like a good margarita -- with cilantro and garlic. :crazy:

Fajitas actually are a true Mexican meal, that has been heavily Americanized. I did some research, and I'm trying to do something close to authentic Mexican vaquero fajitas -- with my own little twist. Probably too simple to win, but it is what I want to eat, so it is what I am making.

I'm going old school, but I do hope to see some risky tortilla entries -- although maybe not bigabyte risky. I had a nightmare last night involving all-you-can-eat SPAM enchiladas. :shock:

CD

Gore said my previous entry could be a double...Spanish tortilla.....

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=115263

IMG_6469.jpg

It consisted of smoked/baked sweet taters,onion,garlic,bit of Jerk marinade,beaten egg,milk,salt,pepper.

Or is this gonna be my Phirst DQ?:becky:

Very nice entry Phu!:cool:

I got this odd package in the mail today. Inside was a stack of 100 $1 bills wrapped in foil, and a Dilly Bar wrapper with a corn tortilla inside.

Weirdest thing I ever received.

I wonder what it means?:confused:

When I read tortilla throwdown, all I thought was, "Farkin' great, two egg TDs in a row!" Hadn't realized we could use the non-Spanish tortilla. :roll:

Phase one of the Czervik Tortilla TD

Note quite sure what I'm doing yet but here is the starting line up:

scaled.php

Well, like others, I decided to do fajitas. I wanted to go authentic, so I went with skirt steak, which is what fajitas are.

I did a marinade of tequila, lime juice, garlic, comino, cilantro, and black pepper. I marinaded the skirt steak for 24 hours. Then I rinsed the steak and let it warm to room temperature while my fire got started.

Earlier today, I made a pico de gallo with diced tomatoes, onions, jalepeños, cilantro and lime juice.

While I was grilling my skirt steak on the redhead, I had some onions and peppers sauteing on the SJ. I went with red, green, and yellow bell peppers because they have three distinct flavors that I like to blend in all kinds of dishes.

I had some flour tortillas wrapped in foil heating on the cool side of the red head.

I warmed up the old Griswold #8 to serve my fajitas. The cheese is grated Queso Quesadilla.

Pico de gallo before...

picture.php

Pico de gallo after...

picture.php

Veggie goodness...

picture.php

Meaty goodness, with flour tortillas in the background...

picture.php

And, the money shot -- fajitas with grilled onions and peppers, pico de gallo, and queso quesadilla...

picture.php

CD

Great lookin fajitas CD... I'd be all over them like... Gotta be PC... Like... Like... Stink on chit! :becky:

Czervik Tortilla TD... Jerk seasoned chicken, corn and pepper chowder with cheesy tortillas

After colonel00 sent me back to the drawing board by guessing my first entry :doh:, I came up with a back up plan...

First off the ingredients (please note the poblanos were from our garden)

imgp1339n.jpg

I decided to grill the corn for a little extra flava flav with some Yardboys Jerk:

imgp1343l.jpg

Grilled the chicken up too with the same rub:

imgp1344r.jpg

Here we have red/yellow/poblana peppers, celery, sweet onion, garlic, EVOO, salt and black pepper basking in the cast iron skillet...

imgp1346c.jpg

This combo was added to the grilled corn, chicken, diced potatos and chicken stock infused with boiled corn cobs which is unfortunately not shown... Let it simmer for a while with a couple tablespoons of flour until the spuds (diced Yukon Gold) were done and the chowder thickened up.

Now for the base ingredient of the the TD... Tortilla... Grilled both sides with a little EVOO to crisp things up:

scaled.php

Didn't get a shot of it but melted a Mexican blend of cheeses on the tortillas... Here is a bowl of the chowder including extra jerk seasoning, chicken, spuds, and veggies with a full size cheesy tortilla to boot:

imgp1349k.jpg

Here is the money shot with chowder and quarters of the cheesy tortilla:

imgp1357h.jpg

The jerk seasoning gave it a nice bite, and the sweetness from the grilled corn and subsequent corn milk gave it a nice balance of flavor. You can't really see it in the picture, but there was a nice broth in the bowl. While a total experiment, Mrs Czervik and I both agreed it would make the grub rotation again.

Thanks for looking and please don't vote for me... :heh:

I was wondering what you were going to do with those giant tortillas. I was guessing you were going for a world record burrito, but that looks better -- and far more creative.

But the stooge in me can't resist saying this, nice grub chowder-head. Nuuk, nyuk, nyuk.

CD

Back