THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Meat, recipe would be required on a giving day like today. LOL

Jim, pretty simple and always a huge it. A normal big batch would be 1 1/2 - 2 lbs of thawed hash browns, 2 cans cream soup (cream of muchroom and cream of celery work well), 16 oz carton soure cream, 2 cups or more of shreaded cheeze (your preference) salt pepper and beaumont to taste. We saute onions and green peppers (sometimes jalapenos) in butter. Mix vegs and 1/2 stick of butter with all other ingredients. Top with bread crumbs ( I make panko and use that) top with more melted butter and more cheese. Cook in cast iron on the weber for an hour or until crusted up. Cool down a little and dig in!!!! Give it a try. Merry Christmas by the way.
Oh, to make it firm enough to be finger food, only fill the cast iron about half way. Either way it will be good.

Entry #2. Here is another dish I made for Christmas dinner for my MIL. This is a Sweet Potato casserole. Basically the same ingregients as the Yam Patties, just easier. I included the toasted marshmallow and the honey. I don't think you can go wrong with this combination. The pecan crust on top was crisp like a pecan pie.

SweetPotatoes002w.jpg

SweetPotatoes001w.jpg

Meat, my wife might be disappointed now, she has been coming up with something similar, but without the soup and butter. We might go ahead and make it anyway, yours looks good.

Wow! Your a lucky man RCS, I don't get to eat sweet potato's very much as my wife and mil don't care for them. But those look fantastic!! You got my vote!
I took pictures of my potato dish but after seeing yours kinda took the wind out of my sails.
I think I will enter for the experience as this will be my first. And to share a good recipe of mine. Here goes!
Warm Baked Potato Blue cheese Salad (German Style).
I take bakers and rub down with evoo salt and pepper. Cook indirect until well done. And just before I cube them up I put them back on the grill direct heat until the skin is crispy, keep warm. IMG_0623.jpg In a cast iron skillet I cooked 1 lb. of bacon until crispy, remove and crumbled. Add 1 sliced red onion and cook until soft, add 1/2 cp olive oil, 1/2 cp white wine vineagar and warm through. Add the diced potato's, Bacon and some fresh Parsley, salt and pepper and toss well and top with Blue cheese. IMG_0627_2.jpg I get request for it all the time. Cheers!!

BarberQue I love a recipe like that . Something about taters,bacon,cheese and onions that just go together.It's kinda like a whole meal all in one. Nice.

Heres my entry. Started by crisping some bacon in the cast iron on the kettle. Rubbed the skins w/ evoo and S&P. Cooked over direct medium, basting w/ garlic butter. After 35 minutes or so, gutted the taters mashed up w/sour cream, scallion,bacon, butter, cheese. Loaded em back up, added more bacon and cheese of course and cooked indirectly for another 10-15 minutes.

skin.jpg

done.jpg

I made this twice baked potato casserole someone had shared on here back at thanksgiving with grilled and quartered red potatos, smoked gouda and cheddar cheeses, bacon, green onions, etc.. Added some horseradish cream to go along with prime rib i made yesterday.

CIMG0620.jpg

CIMG0621.jpg

Meat, my wife might be disappointed now, she has been coming up with something similar, but without the soup and butter. We might go ahead and make it anyway, yours looks good.

Mike, gotta add the cream of "WHAT EVER" soup. The butter is a definate bonus but maybe overboard. Fix it your way and post the results. It will be good I am sure!!!!!!!!!!!

Pig Candied Yams

DSC06602JPGa.jpg

My Potato Throwdown entry is.........TaDaaaa.... Pig Candied Yams. Yes Brethren, there is no reason that bacon can't share the stage with yams. I undercooked the bacon a hair since it was going back on the cooker along with the yams. I used butter and brown sugar in the dish so I doctored the pig candy with maple sugar. A sprinkle of pepper and some parsley at the end was the only other seasoning.​

The three strips were for the yams, that front one was a snack for yours truly. :icon_devil​

DSC06587JPGa.jpg

The "pit shot" - This is about 35 minutes into the cook, my clay baking dish is sitting on the plate setter (legs down) and the pit temp is 400°. I just cooked them until they passed the toothpick test.​

DSC06597JPGa.jpg

thirdeye, that there looks like a bowl of pure pleasure. Very nice indeed. Tell me what doesn't go great with bacon? Pretty much nothing!

Back