BBQ Brethren Throwdown - "Chicken"

Points all her own sittin way up high....way up firm and high.
Working on the night moves............(hope I got he lyrics right mod)
Oh Yeah........Well, how can anyone beat a BBC with tig ole bitties. It just aint gonna happen. I will say this.......I made a couple birds like that a while back but I used limes. I'm not talking Woodlpile here, but the limes gave the chick breasts an amazing flavor. They permeated the breast meat. If you guys ever try this, you will see what I mean. I think I made two birds and people fought and shared the breast cause the lime flavor was so intense. Wayne.............you are da man!!:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

O M G !!!:shock::shock::shock:

Some great entries coming in, but Wayne...I don't knwo what to say about that except...

Looks great!:biggrin:

DSC07757a.jpg

For this weeks Chicken Throwdown I used something a little different when preparing my entry. Science. Not the science of smokeology, a lot of us are pretty good at that. Nor did I fool with spiceology ... I stuck with seasonings that I know work well. I'm talking about the science of heat transfer and how it can be your friend. This young hen is a perfect example. White meat and dark meat are two different types of muscle, and ideally should be cooked to two different levels of doneness. But, that's hard to do because they are on the same bird. However, through the marvels of science, we can improve upon that.​

DSC07716a.jpg

DSC07719a.jpg

The key here is keeping the white meat cooler than the dark meat for part of the cook so they are both done at the same time. I started with a couple of ends from two lemons, and made sure they were the same size and mass. Then put them in the freezer for 2 hours. (I'm sure other things would work fine too, a cold mass is what we're after). Then I inserted them under the skin of the breast and let the chicken sit out for an hour. In theory, we have now chilled down the white meat a few degrees, and at the same time the dark meat has warmed a few degrees.​

DSC07725a.jpg

Moving to a 325° cooker and using a pizza stone for a heat baffle, here is the bird at the beginning of the cook. Oh yeah, for the benefit of you smokeologists, I used cherry wood for flavor. After a while in the pit the lemons begin to thaw, and because of their strategic location, they will baste the breasts for the rest of the cook, keeping them moist and adding flavor. (I have done this same thing by hollowing out some of the flesh of the lemons, adding garlic butter and freezing it).​

DSC07747a.jpg

About an hour and a half later, the white meat was 167° and the dark meat was 173° in the leg/thigh joint. I personally like my dark meat a little closer to 180°, but didn't want the breast to go any higher.​

Chris, I'd like the top shot to be my entry.​

That is just awesome!:eusa_clap:shock::p

Originality and execution rate a 10 from me:biggrin:

i especially like that chick's pierced bellybutton!

can i get a "go brethren!" on this chicken thread? :biggrin:

DSC07757a.jpg

For this weeks Chicken Throwdown I used something a little different when preparing my entry. Science. Not the science of smokeology, a lot of us are pretty good at that. Nor did I fool with spiceology ... I stuck with seasonings that I know work well. I'm talking about the science of heat transfer and how it can be your friend. This young hen is a perfect example. White meat and dark meat are two different types of muscle, and ideally should be cooked to two different levels of doneness. But, that's hard to do because they are on the same bird. However, through the marvels of science, we can improve upon that.​

DSC07716a.jpg

DSC07719a.jpg

The key here is keeping the white meat cooler than the dark meat for part of the cook so they are both done at the same time. I started with a couple of ends from two lemons, and made sure they were the same size and mass. Then put them in the freezer for 2 hours. (I'm sure other things would work fine too, a cold mass is what we're after). Then I inserted them under the skin of the breast and let the chicken sit out for an hour. In theory, we have now chilled down the white meat a few degrees, and at the same time the dark meat has warmed a few degrees.​

DSC07725a.jpg

Moving to a 325° cooker and using a pizza stone for a heat baffle, here is the bird at the beginning of the cook. Oh yeah, for the benefit of you smokeologists, I used cherry wood for flavor. After a while in the pit the lemons begin to thaw, and because of their strategic location, they will baste the breasts for the rest of the cook, keeping them moist and adding flavor. (I have done this same thing by hollowing out some of the flesh of the lemons, adding garlic butter and freezing it).​

DSC07747a.jpg

About an hour and a half later, the white meat was 167° and the dark meat was 173° in the leg/thigh joint. I personally like my dark meat a little closer to 180°, but didn't want the breast to go any higher.​

Chris, I'd like the top shot to be my entry.​

Words can't describe what this will do to my drunken redneck status in my hood when I try this. The best chicken cook I have ever seen! Thanks for sharing.

chicken piccata

this is based on an ina garten recipe.

chickenpiccata-021.jpg

chickenpiccata-022.jpg

chickenpiccata-023.jpg

chickenpiccata-025.jpg

chickenpiccata-037.jpg

chickenpiccata-039.jpg

chickenpiccata-056.jpg

chickenpiccata-069.jpg

chickenpiccata-078.jpg

it's been a year since my mother went to the kitchen in the sky. she taught me to try new things. this one's for you mom. the orchid is from the funeral. it is blooming profusely.

thanks for checking out my chicken :biggrin:

I always get hungry looking at all the stuff you guys make. I was gonna enter, but after looking at all of this I am, yes, hungry; But also depressed.... JK

you still must enter, bo!

i expect to see a lot more entries from this weekend. the deadline for this one should be pushed back a day to tuesday so we can capture all the cookouts on monday.

i just picked up 4 chickens to smoke tomorrow for my second go at the chicken throwdown. :biggrin:

OMG...........................this Throwdown is going to rock. Dayyyuuummmm, we are taking the 5th Wheel up to NM to get away for the weekend. I'm taking the SJP, and already have the chick breasts, legs, and now I think I'm gonna take a whole fryer and do sumthin with it too. Well see what i can come up with. Dayyum the pics look fantastic.

OMG...........................this Throwdown is going to rock. Dayyyuuummmm, we are taking the 5th Wheel up to NM to get away for the weekend. I'm taking the SJP, and already have the chick breasts, legs, and now I think I'm gonna take a whole fryer and do sumthin with it too. Well see what i can come up with. Dayyum the pics look fantastic.

nice! i have somethng planned for the leftover chicken from tomorrow as well :biggrin:

Here's my entry - looks like we've got some tough competition on this one! :eusa_clap

Attachments

• Chicken Throwdown pic.jpg
    Chicken Throwdown pic.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 211
I'm good with extending this one for the 3 day weekend. A lot of cooking will happen on Monday.

In fact, I'll probably go ahead and open up next weeks category, HAM, as well on Monday. So on one day you could technically enter two Throwdowns.

How about that?:biggrin:

I'm good with extending this one for the 3 day weekend. A lot of cooking will happen on Monday.

In fact, I'll probably go ahead and open up next weeks category, HAM, as well on Monday. So on one day you could technically enter two Throwdowns.

How about that?:biggrin:

thank you sir! i'm not sure if we'll get any more entries, but what the heck, eh?

Back