BBQ Brethren "Sweet and Spicy" Throwdown!

OK folks, this TD is going to be kept open for ONE EXTRA WEEK!!!

This is to keep things in proper order as I get the long overdue Cheesesteak TD poll up today.

Thanks for everyone's patience.

Will your Oktoberfest poll be be up before November?

CD

I bought a traditionally raised Peking duck to use in the "Something fowl comes this way" TD and it's still in the freezer. I'm going to check for Peking duck recipes, I think they use sweet and spicy.

I bought a traditionally raised Peking duck to use in the "Something fowl comes this way" TD and it's still in the freezer. I'm going to check for Peking duck recipes, I think they use sweet and spicy.

You mean your entry to my Fowl TD got froze? :tsk:

Awww, Shucks! :grin:

Sweet and Spicy Chuckie Lemonade

Alright, I will throw in on this one. Here is my Official Entry into this TD.

With all the talk about pepper stout beef lately in Q-talk I had thought about making some this last weekend. However, I wanted to try something different. So, my idea was to start with the basic process for pepper stout beef and then turn that product into chili, er lemonade, er soup, er borscht :becky:

So, I started off with a chuck roast rubbed down with a little SM Sweet and Spicy. I didn't use a whole lot since I knew the flavor would be lost and washed out by the rest of the cook. It went on the UDS cooking at around 320 for a few hours while I painted the house.

IMG_1942.jpg

Since it was cooking pretty hot and pretty much direct, I gave it a flip part way through.

IMG_1944.jpg

After a while (yes that is an exact time reference) It was time to prep the veggies and get this party started. I sliced up a couple sweet bell peppers along with a yellow onion. Also in the mix were some spicy jalapenos, some garlic, worcestershire and a bottle of stout beer.

IMG_1945.jpg

The chuck roast was placed on this bed of yum, covered and placed back on the UDS for a while longer.

IMG_1946.jpg

After several more hours the veggies were nice and tender and the chuckie was ready to pull

IMG_1948.jpg

IMG_1949.jpg

I could have stopped there as this is a delicious meal in itself but I wanted to try something new. Now, here is where my lack of planning really bit me. I had intended to cook this whole thing on the UDS but I only had small aluminum pans on hand and there was no way I was going to get it all to fit. Mental note: Get a dutch oven. Anyway, I had to break out the rib boiler (biggie mod) and finish the cook there. I started the mix with some very spicy chipotles in adobo that I blended up with a food processor. I also threw in some sweet corn because good chili has corn. Along with that were two cans of beans, chili and black beans, and some diced tomatoes.

IMG_1950.jpg

Once everything was combined I added a precise amount of pepper, salt, chili powder, cumin and maybe some other stuff I have forgotten.

IMG_1951.jpg

It was still a bit soupy with all of the liquid so I let it cook down for a bit with the lid off the boiler.

IMG_1952.jpg

After it cooked down for a while I was left with a pretty delicious Sweet and Spicy Pepper Stout Chuck Roast Chili Lemonade Soup Borscht. I didn't get any plated, er bowled pics. Mental Note #2: Get some purty bowls because those come in handy for taking pictures of food for a BBQ forum :tsk:

IMG_1954.jpg

IMG_1958.jpg

I will definitely do this again as I have some things I want to tweak but overall it was good. The chipotles added a very nice, lingering heat that wasn't overpowering or overly offensive. Even Relationship Colonel liked it so I guess it wasn't too bad.

Back