BBQ Brethren "Summertime" Throwdown!

The great thing about summertime BBQ is that you can sit around all day long and when your wife asks you to do something, you can say, "I'm cooking!" Well, that's more or less how I spent yesterday. I cooked some boneless beef ribs, and it took me all day long. I seasoned them with Foil Hat Rub.

IMG_7748.jpg

Several hours later, I mopped with some Sweet Baby Rays, and then left them there. After my second or third nap I took them off

IMG_7756.jpg

and we had some dinner.

IMG_7751.jpg

Then for some crazy reason we had a very brief storm, the temperature dropped from the 90*s down to 79* and I went out and mowed the front lawn. If it weren't for that, it might've been a perfect summertime day.

First Entry

Here we go, just hoping for more than a zero.

I'll start with the potatoes. Slice red potatoes with onions. Seasoned with garlic powder, coarse ground black pepper, and seasoning salt. Lots of butter covered with aluminum foil and placed on the grill for about an hour.

2011-06-11_19-07-38_774.jpg

For the main coarse with had kabobs. Sirloin steak, tomatoes, red/yellow/green bell peppers, and cherry tomatoes.

2011-06-11_19-40-32_504.jpg

2011-06-11_20-29-08_490.jpg

Finished product

2011-06-11_20-43-27_54.jpg

Summertime Smoked Chicken Salad

20110614_cs_0229.JPG

I started out with a 5lb chicken and sprayed it down with extra virgin olive oil and seasoned it with salt and pepper...

20110614_cs_0235.JPG

I tossed it on the WSM along with some moink balls and let it cook until the internal temp in the thigh was just over 170 degrees...

20110614_cs_0237.JPG

I separated the light meat from the dark and ran the dark meat through my meat grinder...

20110614_cs_0238.JPG

I cut the white meat into cube chunks...

20110614_cs_0239.JPG

I squeezed the juice of one lemon over the chicken, added parsley, chives, garlic powder, salt, and pepper along with enough mayo to get the chicken salad to the consistency I perfer...

20110614_cs_0240.JPG

I mixed it all up and put it in a container and let it sit in the fridge overnight...

20110614_cs_2519.JPG

Money shot...

Today for lunch, I served myself a chicken salad sandwich on french bread with a healthy dose of Cool Ranch Doritos and a glass of my homebrewed Hefeweizen...

Once again, thanks to all ye farkers for helping me get started in the world of low and slow with charcoal :)

OOOOOOOOOH Yeah! Now we're talkin' summertime cold sammiches JM! Great chicken salad recipe. Savory. Too many people around here make it sweet.

Does grinding the dark meat make it part of the binder for the white meat? Is it for texture?

CD

Absolutely beautiful Oldyote, is there a video to go with it? :roll: ... maybe a Hawaiian theme to go with the salt?

And JM goes with his version of a Throwdown classic. Great work!

And JM goes with his version of a Throwdown classic. Great work!

I almost wish that I went with plan B now actually. A cold sandwich and chips with a refreshing beer is a very light meal, which is what I would normally associate with summertime in my own feeble mind. I just don't do as much of the heavy meal stuff in warm weather.

I'll save plan B for another opportunity though. I'll get my 'throwdown' feet wet with some chicken salad this time :)

That mango chipotle sounds simply amazing... I might have to search some of that out :)

Myspicer.com

My wife ordered a bunch of spices from this place and asked me if I saw anything that sounded good. This one jumped out at me right away. I'm thinking of doing a pork shoulder with it but it is pretty strong so for the family I decided to cut it with the rest of the spices I had in the picture.

I really liked how the smoked paprika went with everything. Next time I'll put it on a little heavier.

Back