BBQ Brethren "Mustard" Throwdown

Normally, the dish is supposed to feature the category. To me, feature means more than a mustard slather. However, it is Jason's category, and if a slather is good enough for him, then that is how it will be!:thumb::cool:

Normally, the dish is supposed to feature the category. To me, feature means more than a mustard slather. However, it is Jason's category, and if a slather is good enough for him, then that is how it will be!:thumb::cool:

I would encourage the mustard use to be more than a slather, but I don't want to discourage anybody from cooking and sharing.

Well, I guess I'm going to go first. I will dedicate this one to Landarc who gave me the idea. :roll: One of my favorite marinades has mustard powder in it. Other than that, this marinade has almost nothing in common with that one. Here are the ingredients. I mixed them up in a handy plastic bag.

IMG_1988.jpg

I thought it would also be nice to make up a beer-based mustard sauce to go on top. I made this by dissolving beef demiglace with a chocolate stout. This was reduced, then the mustards were added along with some whole peppercorns. I finally stirred in some cream (I know the picture is half-and-half, but I used cream).

IMG_1994.jpg

I prepared this in a saucepan while the steak cooked. It was similar to a peppersteak sauce, but with a beer-mustard base:

IMG_1997.jpg

This bite is for Bob:

IMG_7052-1.jpg

Creole Shrimp Poboy with Mustard Remoulade

An ode to the many years I worked in southern Louisiana.

The ingredients:

DSC_0354.jpg

DSC_0355.jpg

DSC_0357.jpg

I fried up the sliced andouille sausage in a fry pan. I took the sausage out and then sauteed the onions and bell pepper in the leavings until they were cooked down a bit. I added some rice wine vinegar, tabasco sauce, a little beer and about 5 tablespoons of creole mustard. I cooked until well combined and then took it off the stove to cool.

I added the shrimp to my creole grilling sauce, swirled and let it sit in the fridge for the afternoon. My assistant (q2) and the creole shrimp - note somebody dyed eggs this afternoon but I'm not saying who.

DSC_0358.jpg

I grilled the shrimp on the weber. After a good coating of melted butter, I grilled the french bread loaf too.

DSC_0363.jpg

DSC_0364.jpg

With the other hand, I breaded and fried some green tomatoes cut very thin (play along, the Kroger didn't have any green tomatoes).

DSC_0360.jpg

The french loaf is coated with mustard remoulade (1 part creole mustard to 2 parts mayonaisse, tabasco sauce, and a little lemon juice). Next is a slight bed of shredded lettuce (thanks Mrs. Q), then the grilled creole shrimp, fried green tomato, and another slather of mustard remoulade. A couple of shots of the finished product, please use the second photo as my entry.

DSC_0365.jpg

DSC_0380.jpg

DSC_0370.jpg

Mustard is a tough throwdown ingredient. I got a good slather of the mustard marinade on the shrimp (see mustard grains on the grilled shrimp) and the mustard remoulade sauce is something I'll use again soon (Phubar you should try it on frites).

I toyed with the idea of adding the andouille to the poboys but my assistant (q2) ate it all while it was sitting on the counter!

Enjoy the throwdown.

Beautiful sammie, Q, and glad to see you had help from the other Qs too! Those toms are green enough for me.

Ah, the saga of the Fatties of the World will never be completed at this rate: I'm revisiting countries! This Throwdown was just calling for a fattie. I began the process by cooking up and smashing some red potatoes,

IMG_1990.jpg

frying some bacon,

IMG_1991.jpg

and making some German potato salad (note the use of mustard)

IMG_1995.jpg

I then rolled out my sausage, slathered the potato salad on top and laid on a thick Polish-style sausage. I topped the sausage with some Finnish mustard:

IMG_1996.jpg

I smeared the mustard all over the sausage, rolled it up and smoked it on my Oval, along with some mustard greens tossed with EVOO. I only smoked about one third of my mustard greens because I wanted just a hint of smoky flavor. I slowly braised the rest and added the smoked ones halfway through. I've never cooked mustard greens before and I was thinking of including them in my fattie but after making them I'm really glad they were just underneath.

IMG_2002.jpg

When it was almost done cooking, I made some honey mustard and brushed it all over:

IMG_2004.jpg

I served the fattie on a bed of mustard greens. I topped it with a mustard sauce made by mixing yogurt and Finnish mustard and a spoon of French country mustard, a splash of cream to thin and a double pinch of sugar to hide the tartness of the yogurt.

IMG_7070.jpg

I have to say that this is my new favorite fattie. Also, just look at that color from the honey mustard!

Thanks for looking!

Well here is my humble entry.....There is some nice looking grub already posted! :clap2:

I decided to go with a mustard & herb crusted rack of lamb with mustard and herb roasted fingerling potatoes.

DSC02627.jpg
DSC02629.jpg

DSC02630.jpg

First the potatoes. I coated them with a mixture of grain mustard, EVOO, rosemary, thyme, tarragon, salt and pepper. Then on to a foil lined baking sheet.

Meanwhile, I was bringing the egg up to temp and prepped the lamb.

DSC02633.jpg
DSC02636.jpg
DSC02637.jpg

I seared it off with just some salt and pepper before taking it off and coating it with a crust of mustard, rosemary, garlic and a little more salt and pepper.

After it seared, I put the plate setter in and got the potatoes going. After about 25 minutes, I put the now coated lamb with them.

DSC02638.jpg
DSC02639.jpg
085.jpg

15 minutes later it was finished. We ate well! I also made a mustard vinaigrette to go on the salad and to drizzle on everything else! Enjoy!

DSC02643.jpg
078.jpg

DSC02644.jpg

Use this pic! :-D

Alabama Hills Rotisserie Mustard Chicken and Ribs

Hey Guys, long time no see!

I awoke from my winter’s hibernation to find myself once again back in the Alabama Hills in sort of Southern California (I’m not making that up, it's a place where a bunch of Westerns have been filmed).

Rubbing my eyes, I decided to fire up the computer and see what the Brethren were Throwing Down about this week. To my delight, Mustard was the topic du jour. I love mustard. But then I panicked, remembering that mustard was the one thing I forgot to buy on my last shopping trip. What to do? But then I realized that in my sauce cupboard (actually it is a whole filing cabinet drawer), I remembered I had some good ol’ Carolina style mustard BBQ sauce driven all the way from South Carolina.
IMG_2225.JPG

I had a rack of spares just begging to go on the spit. So I started them out with Rib-o-Lator’s Grill Mor rub, with the plan of basting w the mustard sauce later in the cook.

I felt like in such impressive surrounding it would be sad to just have a rack of ribs all on its lonesome, and I had a chicken that needed cooking so then it was a question of how to cook the chicken. Then I remembered that I had some mustard seeds in the depths of my spice cabinet, so I went to work making a paste combining them, cumin, garlic powder w parsley, onion powder, onion salt and grated almonds with melted butter and a bit of sun-dried tomato bruchetta.
IMG_2228.JPG

A lemon in the cavity per usual and then off to the rod she went.
I used some pecan wood and mesquite lump charcoal.
IMG_2245.JPG

IMG_2247.JPG

IMG_2250.JPG

The next pics had my mustard BBQ sauce baste going on the ribs.

IMG_2254.JPG

IMG_2263-1.JPG

Chris, please choose one of the last two above pics as my entry, since my attempt to plate them together (after sundown) just didn’t have the same effect:

IMG_2295.JPG

For what is worth the chicken came out with a real crispy skin and tender meat while the ribs sung of mustardy goodness.

Thanks for looking!

--Jonny Rotisserie

BTW I posted a few extra pictures in the original post: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1612823#post1612823

Beautiful work Jonny! That looks a lot like where you were a year ago for the rib throwdown. Love seeing these pics. That chicken looks fabulous.

Beautiful work Jonny! That looks a lot like where you were a year ago for the rib throwdown. Love seeing these pics. That chicken looks fabulous.
Thanks Gore! Yes, this was right around the corner from the beef rib spot, although luckily I couldn't figure out where that exact spot was because this one was even better. This time I saved the coordinates on my GPS so I can find it again. I just wish my camera could do the place justice. The best scenery of snow-capped Mt. Whitney was always too back lit for my camera to truly capture it.

--Jonny Rotisserie

Here's my entry for the mustard throwdown. It's a mustard brat fatty that's been wrapped in soft pretzel dough. I started off with a couple packages of brats and a jar of Must-a-Kraut.

pretzelbrats01.jpg

I cut open all of the brats and made a giant fatty patty. Then sealed a layer of Must-a-Kraut inside.

pretzelbrats02.jpg

Tossed it on the smoker over indirect heat.

pretzelbrats03.jpg

While the brat was smoking, we whipped up a batch of pretzel dough.

pretzelbrats04.jpg

Once the fatty was cooked, we sliced it into rounds and then wrapped each piece in pretzel dough.

pretzelbrats05.jpg

Each piece took a quick dip in a baking soda bath before going into oven until browned. They were served with a side of Boulevard Pale Ale mustard for dipping. We had a bunch of fiends over on Saturday night, and these were disappearing faster than we could get them out of the oven. A definite crowd pleaser!

pretzelbrats06.jpg

Great work Jason. We are going to a beer tasting party soon and know what I'm bringing (well, besides beer).

Back